Menu

Laser Printers??

Mommee & Baba

The other thread about the cost of curriculum got me thinking and now I'm debating on possibly picking up a laser printer if I can score one for under $150 and that includes the toner....so probably $100 and then the rest of toner..

Any links and reviews that you have?

Currently we have the HP Photosmart All-in-One. Last year I was able to get a new printer and decided against the laser because I was determined I needed color..but now that we HAVE the printer with color, I want a cheaper alternative to all the printing we do!

I'd strongly suggest signing up for a month on consumer reports! You can unsubscribe afterward so you aren't automatically billed each month...it is so worth the extra $5 to get all the reviews, prices, etc.

We just had to replace our printer (we went with an inkjet though for photos and such as well...it's more expensive with ink but we print grayscale, econo-fast for regular schoolwork). Still more expensive than toner though. Consumer reports cut down on my research time tremendously and I was happy with what I found...it lets you search by multiple wants or needs (we started with price, then went with what you'd like for speed, picture, wireless or not etc etc).

And no, I am not affiliated with CR at all...this was my first time using it although many in my tech-loving family love it. :)

I've got this Canon. I buy these toner/drum refills and they last for about 2000 pages.

I had a Brother before this Canon, and while I really liked it, when it came time to replace the drum it just wasn't worth it (the drum lasted a long time). I was able to get the Canon above (and it has Duplex) for only about $20 more than it would've cost me to replace the drum and toner on the Brother. I really like that the Canon doesn't have a separate drum to replace.

We got a Brother laser printer when it was on sale at Office Max for $60. This was the after Thanksgiving sale, but they seem to go on sale for that price (I think the regular price is more like $130) every few months. We've been happy with it so far. It comes with a starter toner cartridge that's supposed to print something like 800 pages, I think (the regular one prints 2600). I also have an HP all in one that I use for making copies or on the rare occasions when I really need something printed in color.

I think we have the Samsung 2525 as well - we don't have the W (wireless) though. I got it from Office Max. I had free money to use from buying a $90 Swissgear backpack in the beginning of the year - they gave me $90 back, but it was in OfficeMax money, so I had to use it there. I ended up getting the Samsung 2525 that came with the toner and an extra toner for $30, so that would have been $120. I had a $25 of $100 coupon code. There are coupon codes all over the net for the Office stores. Find one of those and use it.

I love the Samsung 2525. It prints fast and the outcome looks nice. It was totally worth it. I'm a tiger den leader for cub scouts and a I teach a K-2 music class at co-op. I print a lot for lapbooks I have them do and it has made it so much cheaper to do those fun things. It's not in color, but I don't care. :)

$79.99 @ Office Max. Toner is $62. I read you can buy an off brand that will las 5 times longer than the Samsung toner. $140-$25=$115 for printer and extra toner if you have a $25 off $100 code.

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=prod2850381&history=j5n8vitt|prodPage~15^freeText~samsung+2525^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

Good luck!

Vicki

I love my Brother HL-5250DN. It's a black & white duplexing laser. I've had it for about 4 years and use it very heavily. I've refilled the toner twice (just last month, in fact) with kits from tonerrefillkits.com; they have excellent customer service!! I've never had a problem, even using a Mac (which seems to be quite a rarity for printers :glare:)...it is a workhorse!

I will definitely buy another Brother if this one ever dies on me.

I agree with the above poster! Don't buy the brand name toner and cartridges if your printer allows cheaper stuff. Brother warns against this, but I have excellent results with off brands!

When it's time to buy a new cartridge (which won't be for a while I think) or toner:

http://www.tonerrefillkits.com/

Oh and make sure to put tape over the sensor on the cartridge so that you can use ALL of the toner without waste. (You tube posted in other thread about *free* curriculum.)

Edited by Susie in MS

I love my HP LaserJet 1100(not the all-in-one). I have had it for 10 years and it still works like I bought it yesterday. I wonder if you could find one second hand.

I have a color ink-jet, but honestly, it is rarely used. We print almost everything in black and white. I have printed thousands and thousands of pages on this printer. The ink cartridge is around $70, so not cheap, but it lasts forever. I literally think nothing of printing out a 300-400 page book, like one of the SOTW Activity Guides.

WOOHOO! Doing the happy dance with ya! Hope you find the best one for your families needs!

:auto: I'm ready to go get one from the store tonight. But I'll be wise and search out and read reviews and such.

I wanted color so bad. So we purchased a new all-in-one inkjet last year...but now that I realize the COST of colored ink and the waste it really is...I'm not regretting the decision because I love the copy machine and scanning aspect of it...but now when we want to print color we don't because I haven't purchased a new cartridge for it. Plus this coming weekend I was going to purchase a double combo pack of ink for this printer but now I will NOT be doing that! I'm going to purchase a color so we can print in color when we want to..which is only when we're going to laminate it and reuse it..:tongue_smilie:YES I'm cheap! LOL!!

As for which would be great for our family. I'd REALLY like one that is duplex printing able. I haven't used this before and think it'd be nice to have as an option. Also I'd like one that is able to accept a 3rd party toner or refill and folks can say indeed it's still running after so and so years using 3rd party toners...my fear is buying a laser printer, buying a 3rd party toner and then it giving up because of the off brand toner...ya know?

So it looks like the top ones listed are..

Canon

Brother - think I might skip out on the one that doesn't have any 3rd party toners available yet.

Samsung

HP

Now I know this is SILLY but I will have to purchase the USB cable, right? Because printers don't come with them anymore.

I have a color ink-jet, but honestly, it is rarely used. We print almost everything in black and white.

Ya know, I was wondering about that. It seems like there are some GREAT deals on the B/W lasers. I was dead set on getting a color laser, but maybe I really don't *need* it.

I do, however, NEED a laser printer. ;) My President's Day gift to myself. :lol:

I don't think they make it anymore but I have an HP Color laserjet CP2025 and love it. I have to have color, even though the toner cartridges cost about $100 each they last forever (about 3500 pages each) It also has duplex printing which is awesome. I would check the HP site for some. I'm sure a B&W would be cheaper than mine (it was $250 at office depot) and usually HP has some good sales with free shipping.

Our old HP 2600n color laserjet is upstairs for my kids printing needs. That one lasted us a long time and we only upgraded because of an issue with the fan causing the red toner to be placed on faded, but it works great for B&W and the kids color needs.

I don't think they make it anymore but I have an HP Color laserjet CP2025 and love it. I have to have color, even though the toner cartridges cost about $100 each they last forever (about 3500 pages each) It also has duplex printing which is awesome. I would check the HP site for some. I'm sure a B&W would be cheaper than mine (it was $250 at office depot) and usually HP has some good sales with free shipping.

Our old HP 2600n color laserjet is upstairs for my kids printing needs. That one lasted us a long time and we only upgraded because of an issue with the fan causing the red toner to be placed on faded, but it works great for B&W and the kids color needs.

Your color one was 250.00?

What is duplexing? :001_huh:

My printer has automatic duplexing so it prints one side, then sucks it back in to print the next page on the back side, makes printing longs books easier because you don't have to print the odds/evens then reload those pages back in and print the opposite set.

My printer has automatic duplexing so it prints one side, then sucks it back in to print the next page on the back side, makes printing longs books easier because you don't have to print the odds/evens then reload those pages back in and print the opposite set.

That makes sense. So it doesn't do both sides at once, but automatically reloads page and prints side 2?

That would be a HUGE time saver!

I've got this Canon. I buy these toner/drum refills and they last for about 2000 pages.

I had a Brother before this Canon, and while I really liked it, when it came time to replace the drum it just wasn't worth it (the drum lasted a long time). I was able to get the Canon above (and it has Duplex) for only about $20 more than it would've cost me to replace the drum and toner on the Brother. I really like that the Canon doesn't have a separate drum to replace.

Wow that's a great price for an all-in-one laser printer!! That's looking really attractive. Then the toner/drum refills...wow that's super affordable.

I was thinking of keeping my HP all-in-one printer but if I'm getting something like this I might get rid of this one I have.

I have an HP Color Laser Jet 3600n. It has been discontinued, but I would HIGHLY recommend the line. I have been using off brand toners from SuppliesGuys, and I've had no problems! I didn't have to even buy new toner for about 2 years. I don't think twice before printing anything - color or otherwise. I got mine for around $250, but I think they were about to discontinue that model.

If you can swing it, I would really consider a color laserjet.

:auto: I'm ready to go get one from the store tonight. But I'll be wise and search out and read reviews and such.

So it looks like the top ones listed are..

Canon

Brother - think I might skip out on the one that doesn't have any 3rd party toners available yet.

Samsung

HP

Now I know this is SILLY but I will have to purchase the USB cable, right? Because printers don't come with them anymore.

You can get 3rd party toner for Brother.

Even if you got a color, you'd want a B&W so you don't burn out your color supplies on a B&W print job (even when it's just B&W it is more costly than a B&W laser to use).

Assume the printer is disposable. Sad, but true -- these days they make the $$ on the consumables. Every time you need a new toner or drum unit or it gets streaky you should consider replacing it (the printer) by comparing the costs. I had my Brother 1250 for 10 years on the same drum (and printed many copies of my dissertation), but back then they were rated to 40,000 or more and pricey. When the drum went out and it was streaky, I replaced the printer. Such a waste, but I could pick up a Brother wireless for $50 on sale. Now they are designed for a short life.

That's why I don't like the combos where you'll feel the need to keep it for the other functions. Duplexing can be expensive. Bells and whistles are expensive. A good scanner is cheap and will last for 10 years or more.

I have a 5yo color laser (Xerox) I got for $225 (delivered) and have yet to replace the toners.

I have a 6mo B&W I've just replaced the starter toner (after market for $20). So far that's $70 for at least 3,000 pages, or $0.023 per page. If I go until the drum unit needs replacing at 20,000 pages, that means another 6 toner cartridges for a total of $190, let's round it up to $200 for 20,000 pages is 1 cent per page. The reported cost per page for a color inkjet is close to $0.30 a page. I buy cheap paper by the 10 ream box (5,000 pages) at Costco, which is about half of a cent per page.

Anyway, my suggestion is to calculate the total cost for 2-5 years of use (or say for the drum life or 20,000 pages) including hardware and consumables, tax and shipping. Compare a base model from 3-4 major manufacturers. If you REALLY want multi-function or duplex, compare one of them as well. As you can see from above, it's actually a simple calculation. If your kids are 3rd grade or above, you could even give the problem to them for math. :lol: Then pick the cheapest (in total cost) and enjoy!

ChandlerMom,

Why would you say duplexing is expensive? The printer is just over $100. Is the toner or cartridge more expensive? Maybe the drum? What brand(s) are you looking at? I was considering getting a Brother Duplex when my current printer dies, but if it is too expensive I might reconsider.

ChandlerMom,

Why would you say duplexing is expensive? The printer is just over $100. Is the toner or cartridge more expensive? Maybe the drum? What brand(s) are you looking at? I was considering getting a Brother Duplex when my current printer dies, but if it is too expensive I might reconsider.

:lurk5:

ChandlerMom,

Just a generalization that features cost money. If duplexing costs an extra $50, that would pay for an extra 10,000 sheets of paper or 5,000 sheets worth of toner. They probably use the same toner/drum units (though you'll have to price them out).

ETA: if you expect a 20,000 page lifespan, a $50 duplex feature is only adding a fraction of a penny per page, so still a lot cheaper than an inkjet!

I like printing on one-side, especially math, since my kids use the blank side for scratch paper or drawing pics. Or I could print and manually flip when I want things duplexed.

This is definitely a YMMV and it depends on what features are really important to you. If you calculate the per page cost of your duplexing printer and the difference is worth it to you, get the duplexer. It's not as big of a deal as it once was (duplexing used to be very high end when cheapest laser printers were over $1K) and it may be worth it for you. It's easy to ratchet up, like buying a new car and suddenly you're talking about paying twice as much as the base model. I just meant to be thoughtful and purposeful where you spend your money (for this or anything)! :D

btw, I found Fry's Electronics or buy.com to have the best prices when I was looking. A sale at the right place can make a $100 printer suddenly $49. :)

Edited by ChandlerMom

Just a generalization that features cost money. If duplexing costs an extra $50, that would pay for an extra 10,000 sheets of paper or 5,000 sheets worth of toner. They probably use the same toner/drum units (though you'll have to price them out).

ETA: if you expect a 20,000 page lifespan, a $50 duplex feature is only adding a fraction of a penny per page, so still a lot cheaper than an inkjet!

I like printing on one-side, especially math, since my kids use the blank side for scratch paper or drawing pics. Or I could print and manually flip when I want things duplexed.

This is definitely a YMMV and it depends on what features are really important to you. If you calculate the per page cost of your duplexing printer and the difference is worth it to you, get the duplexer. It's not as big of a deal as it once was (duplexing used to be very high end when cheapest laser printers were over $1K) and it may be worth it for you. It's easy to ratchet up, like buying a new car and suddenly you're talking about paying twice as much as the base model. I just meant to be thoughtful and purposeful where you spend your money (for this or anything)! :D

btw, I found Fry's Electronics or buy.com to have the best prices when I was looking. A sale at the right place can make a $100 printer suddenly $49. :)

Thank you very much for explaining!

I guess what makes duplexing more attractive to me is that a lot of printers will draw in two sheets at a time every so often. This makes hand feeding the back sides of books a must or your pages will be all mixed up. I realize that not all do that though.

That being said, I don't plan on buying a duplex till this printer dies. Which I hope won't be for several years. :)

Looks like we're looking at getting http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00450DVDY/ref=ord_cart_shr

I'm kind of excited about it. I simply can't wait 3 more days to checkout though..I'm standing on my tipy toes waiting for the final funds to come through so we can get this! Dh wants me to purchase another toner at the same time so we're prepared. Also I've price checked the drum on this and hopefully we won't have to replace it for atleast 1-2 years. I'm also hoping to have a 3rd party release a compatible toner for this printer soon :)

Any input on this printer is welcomed!

I bought a HP LaserJetP1102w fairly recently after a bunch of research and I really like it. Definitely price both printers, ink cartridges and drums (I think that's the right word.) I was originally going to go with a different brand but when I talked to the guy at Staples he suggested that the overall cost on the HP were cheaper especially in the long run for reasons that seem to escape me. :) I think it had to do with having to replace the drum of the other brand every so often which cost almost as much as the printer whereas HP has the drum built into the cartridges. Hopefully I'm using the correct terminology but in short I highly recommend the laser printer over an inkjet. Way cheaper!

http://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-Printer-CE657A-BGJ/dp/B0036TGGVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296100173&sr=8-1

Even if you got a color, you'd want a B&W so you don't burn out your color supplies on a B&W print job (even when it's just B&W it is more costly than a B&W laser to use).

Could you expound on this. When my printer is running a B&W only print job if my black toner runs out it simply won't print the job until I replace the cartridge, unlike my old inkjets that would burn through my colors to make black. Is it the inkjets you were referring too? I'm just trying to make sure I understand what you meant.

I LOVE my Brother HL-5370DW.

So far I've had it for 1 year and have not had to refill any toners. It's B/W and it is duplexing, it's not too big and has held up beautifully with all the printing I've been doing.

I just got this, and wow! It was a seamless set up with my Mac. I love printing without thinking about the cost. For higher quality work I use my Canon, but for school paperwork this has been perfect.

I LOVE my Brother HL-5370DW.

So far I've had it for 1 year and have not had to refill any toners. It's B/W and it is duplexing, it's not too big and has held up beautifully with all the printing I've been doing.

I just got this, and wow! It was a seamless set up with my Mac. I love printing without thinking about the cost. For higher quality work I use my Canon, but for school paperwork this has been perfect.

We have one of these too. We have an HP inkjet all-in-one that we use for making copies and color printing, but the Brother is great for printing black and white stuff, especially books.

I've just done a cost comparison between my current inkjet and a laser and it turns out the inkjet is actually marginally cheaper to print a page, inkjet 1.8p per page and the laser was around 2.2p per page. My inkjet is an Hp officejet 6500 wireless with duplex. I found by shopping around for the cheapest black ink I could get it down to 1.2p per page on the inkjet.

I think that in practice a laser would be a great thing to have for priniting out e books just from the time and quality point of view but I might just wait a little until this one is on its way out. I'm finding it quite hard to track down cheaper lasers that duplex too.

This is the one I bought! I just got mine yesterday and so far I love it! It is very fast, setup was quick, and the duplexing works perfectly! I do want to let you know that it's cheaper at Staples right now, though.

http://www.staples.com/Brother-HL-2270DW-Mono-Laser-Printer/product_887222?storeId=10001&jspStoreDir=Staples&cmSearchKeyword=HL2270DW&fromUrl=home&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&cmArea=SEARCH&ddkey=StaplesSearch

:grouphug:Thank You!!!! Not only is it cheaper...it's FREE shipping that will give me my printer next day! AND I'll get a free brother label maker just for purchasing this printer!

I just read that the offer expires on the 29th (Saturday) so I'm sure to score this deal tomorrow then when I'm able!

May I ask, wheny you purchased yours..it already came with the drum and a starter toner...so did you purchase another toner just in case or are you waiting until the starter toner runs low?

Edited by mamaofblessings

• 2 weeks later...