Menu

doctor appt ??

I called to schedule my yearly appt this morning and found out my doc has cut his hours to M-W 8:45-11:45. The appt clerk was really unhelpful and sounded more like she just wanted to get me off the phone. There are 8 docs in the practice, I've seen 2 and really this like one alot. The other one I liked, but he never returned calls so it became necessary to switch (I don't call a doc unless I need, really need, something so not returning calls is a big deal to me.) The practice does not like patients to "flipflop" docs (appt clerk's words not mine) so I "need to work around it". I understand how important it is for continuity of care, but if he is retiring or cutting so far back, shouldn't I find another in the practice? Or be happy I can still see this doc even though it is a bit of a pain schedule wise?

This is totally unacceptable. Expecting you to keep the same doctor when he has such a limited schedule is ridiculous. I don't know the best way to deal with doctor's offices but maybe someone else does. Maybe speak to the office manager and let her know this is a bad policy and you expect better service. If he/she is a reasonable person and has some freedom within the bounds of their job, they should work with you to find another doctor who meets your needs - whether in or out of the practice.

I would not take an appt clerk's word for what the Drs. like or don't like. Since this appt. is just for your yearly, I would schedule it and then ask the Dr. if he has someone with more accessibility that he'd recommend. He should be able to understand that those hours are not going to be possible for all of his patients - esp. if a more urgent condition crops up.

This is totally unacceptable. Expecting you to keep the same doctor when he has such a limited schedule is ridiculous. I don't know the best way to deal with doctor's offices but maybe someone else does. Maybe speak to the office manager and let her know this is a bad policy and you expect better service. If he/she is a reasonable person and has some freedom within the bounds of their job, they should work with you to find another doctor who meets your needs - whether in or out of the practice.

:iagree:

This happened in our doctor's office when my doctor cut her hours back to spend more time with her family. The office manager was happy to set me up with one of the doctors and even talked with me about which doctor might be a good fit. If they aren't happy to work with you, it's time to find another practice.

I go ahead and make the appt with your doctor. It is just a yearly, do it doesn't really matter if it is even 6 mths from now. Then, I would discuss the issue with your doctor at the appt; including the attitude you got from the receptionist. :glare:

I called by and spoke with another appt clerk (they have 5). She said he is not retiring just "cutting back". I suppose as long as I only need 1 appt/year this will be okay. She assured me his nurses were there all week and would continue to answer questions as they always have. Really, I'll I want is my hormone prescription renewed and some blood work. I'd just as soon not have to have an appt to do that!