Menu

Cabbage....lots and lots of cabbage...

What do I do with all of this cabbage? My husband brought home an industrial size bag of shredded cabbage....now what? I'm thinking soup...does anyone have a favorite recipe? I am on South Beach right now, so something warm and low carb would be fantastic. It doesn't have to be soup though. We are "hate to waste that perfectly good food" kind of people...and we like cabbage. There is just ALOT of cabbage.

Cindy, who is :bigear::bigear:

Not compatible with South Beach, but one of our favorite lunches here is:

Saute shredded cabbage in fat (butter/bacon fat/olice oil), meanwhile, boil pasta. Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to cooked cabbage, add salt, pepper, paprika to taste. We serve it with applesauce.

I think these would be more compatible. We also love Cabbage Salads:

1) Shredded cabbage, chopped green peppers, chopped onion. Toss with vinegar & oil dressing.

2) 2 lbs shredded cabbage, 3 med carrots sliced, 3 ribs celery chopped, 1 chopped green pepper, 1 chopped red pepper, 1 sliced cucumber, 1 small bag of sliced radishes, 1 chopped onion. Dressing: 1 c plus 2 tbs white vinegar, 3/4 c oil, 3/4 sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Best refrigerated overnight before serving.

Cabbage Tacos!

Sautee the cabbage for 10-15 min in a bit of olive oil with a little salt. Make up your meat, add in whatever else you like in your tacos! My whole family insists I make them weekly!

Until I made this, I had never had sauteed cabbage. I love it! We also pair it frequently with eggs for breakfast. :)

I got this recipe from my sister years and years ago. It is unusual but really good and easy.

Tarragon Hotdish ( one pot meal)

Brown 1 # hamburger with some onion

Add 2 cups water and 2 beef bouillon cube (I would use beef stock in the box these days..don't like bouillon)

1 cup rice

2 tsp tarragon

cook til the rice is done

Add 3 cups shredded cabbage

1 cup sour cream

1 cup monteray jack cheese

Cook a few more minutes til the cabbage is wilted and the cheese is melted.

I love cabbage in traditional vegetable soup. It's especially good in a soup with tomatoes and beef of some kind.

I make my salads with cabbage as the base. It's crunchy and packed with good nutrients. I usually top it with chicken or salmon or shredded mozarella and walnuts or almonds. I eat it with poppyseed dressing, but that is probably not on Southbeach.

You can use it as a substitute for lettuc in sandwiches.

Corned beef and cabbage is a traditional favorite, but corned beef is a fatty meat (maybe not on Southbeach).

You can have basic steamed cabbage as a side-dish for a traditional dinner.

Obviously, cole slaw is another option, though it tends to be made with some sugar. There are vinegar-based cole slaw dressings.

Doubt this is compatible with south beach, but you could do any king of sea food tacos. Just don't bread your fish. Top the taco with plenty of shredded cabbage and if you like a salsa (home made is healthier) and lemon.

You could also make a chicken and veggie soup. Add what ever vegies you like and the cabbage near the end. Season to taste. You can just use salt, or add a bay leaf, some oregano, cilantro, get creative and ahave a cooking adventure.:D

HTH

Danielle

Sauteed(sp) in bacon fat or coconut oil:drool:

Bierocks or Runskies which ever you call them.

Beef and cabbage- Brown ground beef, garlic and onions . When it's cooked, steam cabbage and grated carrots on top of beef with the lid on the pan 'till the cabbage and carrots are done to your taste. Add soy sauce and worchestershire sauce and a lot of black pepper.

Minestrone

Did I mention just sauteing it in bacon fat or coconut oil:D

Saute shredded cabbage in fat (butter/bacon fat/olice oil)

This used to be one of our favorites. It's somehow slipped off our menu. Cook cabbage in butter on med/med high heat, stirring frequently, for 5-10 mins. until it starts to brown. Brown is fine; burned is not! I don't know how much butter I used, but when we were SBeaching it, I never worried about how much butter I'd add. :)

I was just looking for cabbage recipes this morning. I'm making this stewed cabbage with pork chops later this week.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stewed-Cabbage/Detail.aspx

We do a pork chop recipe with cabbage. It's not super healthy, but I fry a bunch of bacon in a large frying pan, then set it aside. You then cook the pork chops in the bacon grease until they're done. Then you put the shredded cabbage, some apple slices, and a little broth in the pan, and cook until tender. Then mix the bacon and pork chops back in until everything is warm. So good, but I don't even want to know how many calories are in it. ;)

Cabbage Lasagna! My family loves it!

Cabbage (steamed to just slightly tender)

Ground Beef or Turkey

Rice

Pasta sauce (homemade or jarred)

Shredded cheese

Brown ground beef or turkey and cook a pot of rice. Mix rice, meat and pasta sauce (if using jarred, add some sauteed veggies) together-reserving some sauce to top lasagna. In a deep baking pan, place a layer of cabbage, top with meat/rice/sauce mixture, cover with shredded cheese, repeat layers until you've run out. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 20 minutes at 350.

This is really, really good and simple to make.

If you like stuffed cabbage and have a crockpot, this is a favorite here:

Fill crockpot half full of shredded cabbage.

Put is 1/2 to 1 lb. of ground beef, (I even put it in frozen if necessary.)

Slice 1 onion and add it.

1/2 to 1 cup of uncooked rice.

Add more shredded cabbage until crockpot is full.

Salt and pepper.

Pour large can of tomato sauce over top and cook on low all day.

It doesn't look like much but it is yummy!