Menu

2011 Oscar Nominations

Only because I'm so excited that King's Speech led the nominations with 12!

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/0PO6'>http://goo.gl/0PO6'>http://goo.gl/0PO6'>http://goo.gl/0PO6

Best motion picture of the year

Black Swan

The Fighter

Inception

The Kids Are All Right

The King's Speech

127 Hours

The Social Network

Toy Story 3

Darla K. Anderson, Producer

True Grit

Winter's Bone

Best Director

Darren Aronofsky, 'Black Swan'

David O'Russell, 'The Fighter'

Tom Hooper, 'The King's Speech'

David Fincher, 'The Social Network'

Joel and Ethan Coen, 'True Grit'

Best Actor

Javier Bardem, 'Biutiful'

Jeff Bridges, 'True Grit'

Jesse Eisenberg, 'The Social Network'

Colin Firth, 'The King's Speech'

James Franco, '127 Hours'

Best Actress

Annette Bening, 'The Kids Are All Right'

Nicole Kidman, 'Rabbit Hole'

Jennifer Lawrence, 'Winter's Bone'

Natalie Portman, 'Black Swan'

Michelle Williams, 'Blue Valentine'

Best Supporting Actor

Christian Bale, 'The Fighter'

John Hawkes, 'Winter's Bone'

Jeremy Renner, 'The Town'

Mark Ruffalo, 'The Kids Are All Right'

Geoffrey Rush, 'The King's Speech'

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, 'The Fighter'

Helena Bonham Carter, 'The King's Speech'

Melissa Leo, 'The Fighter'

Hailee Steinfeld, 'True Grit'

Jacki Weaver, 'Animal Kingdom'

See the rest: http://goo.gl/0PO6

For the first time ever I've seen most of the movies that have nominations. 8 of the 10 nominated for Best Picture, even!

I wonder if I can find a way to squeeze in the other two before the big day?

Ok, since you asked, :tongue_smilie: here's who I think will win, and who I think should win:

Best Picture:

The King's Speech will win, and it should (although I really loved several of the others, too)

Best Director:

Darren Aronofsky will sneak a win for Black Swan, but David Fincher should for The Social Network

Best Actor:

Colin Firth will win, and he should

Best Actress:

Natalie Portman will win and I'm fine with that (which I'm certain will be a relief to the Academy), but I actually liked Annette Bening's performance in The Kids are Alright better, and I liked Julianne Moore better in that movie.

Best Supporting Actor:

Christian Bale was phenomenal in The Fighter and it will be complete robbery if he doesn't win, but I wouldn't be too sad if Geoffry Rush won for The King's Speech.

Best Supporting Actress:

I think Melissa Leo will win for The Fighter, but I thought Amy Adams was better in the movie and I'd give it to her instead.

And there you have it. You can all rest easier now for the day. :D

Anyone else?

Have they always had 10 movies in the "Best Picture" category? I thought it used to be 5.

Mary

In an effort to make things more available to the general public, they nominate 10 movies. In years past, a lot of the nominated movies were movies that were only released on such a limited number of screens that not many people had seen them or they didn't have vast appeal which they felt lead to the declining number of people watching the oscars. Anyway, that was the explanation last year.

Ok, since you asked, :tongue_smilie: here's who I think will win, and who I think should win:

Best Picture:

The King's Speech will win, and it should (although I really loved several of the others, too)

I'd vote for Inception to win, but I think The King's Speech will actually win.

Best Director:

Darren Aronofsky will sneak a win for Black Swan, but David Fincher should for The Social Network

Well, Christopher Nolan should have been nominated (& won), but since he didn't get the nomination, I'm going to go w/ the Coen Brothers for this one. (I'm sure that's a long shot.)

Best Actor:

Colin Firth will win, and he should

Best Supporting Actor:

Christian Bale was phenomenal in The Fighter and it will be complete robbery if he doesn't win, but I wouldn't be too sad if Geoffry Rush won for The King's Speech.

:iagree: (even though I haven't yet seen The Fighter, I've heard nothing but raves about Bale's performance; I know he's a fabulous actor. Loved Rush in The King's Speech)

I'd vote for Inception to win, but I think The King's Speech will actually win.

Inception was visually stunning, but I don't see it being best picture. I am surprised Nolan wasn't nominated..completely surprised. But I don't see it beating out King's Speech because of that, as well.

..and in this you would be so wrong :lol::lol::lol::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

(please take that in the spirit it was intended).

Inception was visually stunning, but I don't see it being best picture. I am surprised Nolan wasn't nominated..completely surprised. But I don't see it beating out King's Speech because of that, as well.

:001_tt2: (I still love Inception.)

:lol:

LOL! You caught me before I finished the edit. I was hoping that it didn't come out snarky and such, so wanted to remove it while I was still self-doubting. Glad you saw the humor!

Too funny! No, you weren't being snarky. It's fun to 'argue' for our faves. :001_smile: (At least imo... ;))

And to show it's all in fun, I'll toss in a gratuitous pic of Colin Firth :lol::

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTewoFrhLtpbY0xQPF4Z9_YwLTxN2ksb89vbsFXbKw4cHWCtLZqRg

P.S. A little subliminal message for you...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToEQmY3tHqslOYH6I1JqCgbEgRQpQZT-foJUjlOKyx8p5orV6p

:D

Big movie fans here--I've seen Black Swan, Inception, Winter's Bone, and King's Speech this year, and ds saw 127 Hours and Social Network, so we are pretty up on the movies this time around--my thoughts--

I am just about in tears over the (at least) 4 nominations for Winter's Bone--it is an extremely well-done, affecting movie that lays out a culture that most of us don't experience. It is one of the best movies I have EVER seen, and I've seen my share. I am SO glad it is at least getting a big, big nod.

I'd give the girl in it the Oscar for Best Actress--even tho I think Nat Portman will take it (and she did a good job), this young actress was SUPERB and deserves it even more.

I think it should get adapted screenplay, although 127 Hours would be a good choice, too--not having seen Social Network.

I think Inception ought to win for best original screenplay, because it is one of those rare Hollywood movies that is COMPLETELY original and creative.

I am just about in tears over the (at least) 4 nominations for Winter's Bone--it is an extremely well-done, affecting movie that lays out a culture that most of us don't experience. It is one of the best movies I have EVER seen, and I've seen my share. I am SO glad it is at least getting a big, big nod. I am also quite the movie buff but had never even heard of this movie! Now I'm really excited to see it.

I'd give the girl in it the Oscar for Best Actress--even tho I think Nat Portman will take it (and she did a good job), this young actress was SUPERB and deserves it even more. Michelle Williams is a great actress, but she has won before so the buzz is that it's just not her year.

I think it should get adapted screenplay, although 127 Hours would be a good choice, too--not having seen Social Network. I've only heard great things about 127 hours but I didn't see it. I thought Social Network was excellent, so I'd go for that considering I've actually seen it. :-)

I think Inception ought to win for best original screenplay, because it is one of those rare Hollywood movies that is COMPLETELY original and creative. I agree with that completely!

I don't know why I even care about this stuff, but somehow it still jazzes me up.