Menu

Word problems

My 8th grader is doing TT Alg I after switching from Chalkdust and he finds it very easy with the exception of word problems. He also flunked his Apologia Physical science test because of the word problems. Give him a complicated equation and he has no problem. Tell him to define the word..no problem. Put it together with words..BIG problem. He cannot translate. Any ideas?

Christine

My 8th grader is doing TT Alg I after switching from Chalkdust and he finds it very easy with the exception of word problems. He also flunked his Apologia Physical science test because of the word problems. Give him a complicated equation and he has no problem. Tell him to define the word..no problem. Put it together with words..BIG problem. He cannot translate. Any ideas?

Christine

Christine,

I take the Purple Math key words, put them on index cards and then allow my kids to use them to first figure out what operation is being called for. I allow them to use it for as long as they feel the need.

My oldest is also doing this with algebra right now. If she has to work on her own she gets about 50% right. The other 50% she looks at, it doesn't click and she writes help under. If I sit there with her she can usually do 50% of those that she had problems with and I don't have to say a word. Just having me there gives her the extra confidence she needs. Of the remaining 25% I generally have to just give her a few key words to shift her thinking. About 1% I actually have to work out with her.

It drives me nuts.

Try the Purple math, and see if that doesn't help. I also teach the kiddos to try to draw it out if needed, list the information you do know, those sort of things that get you started on the problem without having to tackle it head on. They aren't necessary, but often while you are doing them, how to do the problem with click.

Heather