Menu

Online Latin

I am planning on having ds do Latin online next year. I am leaning towards something that uses Wheelock's Latin, but thought I should check in to see what others have used. Scholars Online looks good (waiting to see what is offered next year). I hear the pace is brutal, though. I would love to hear from someone who has used SO.

Does anyone have experience with The Lukeion Project?

How about Lone Pine. I know that those classes use Orberg, but I still have it on my list as a maybe.

Also, anything to steer clear of. I seem to recall reading about problems at one school with online tests and grading issues but can't find the thread. If anyone knows of any issues like that, please PM me.

I would love to hear from anyone with experience with any of these and NLE/AP exams.

Thanks.

Danielle

My 11 year old daughter takes Latin through LonePine. It is definately very challenging and is a lot of homework. Very and a lot.

Having said that, we really like it.

Pros

feel like we're learning to read latin well

a variety of reading, writing, listening assignments

challenging

fun

help session every week

NLE is part of the class

Cons

really challenging

a lot of homework

it's sometimes hard for my 11 year old to stay focused when the chat room gets going.

As with all classes, if we need more time to cover a chapter, we still move on with the class.

My girl is in 200. She likes the class, complains about the exercitia, likes the journal, dreads the tests, really likes the text and other readings. She looks forward to 300.

My 11 year old daughter takes Latin through LonePine. It is definately very challenging and is a lot of homework. Very and a lot.

DS is in 100 this year, and I agree -- very VERY challenging, and a LOT of homework. But none of it is busywork... it's all really good stuff, well-designed and fair, and when he does it (and puts effort into it!) he does well. When he tries to skate by with less than his best work, it shows. And he has really learned to study!

It's really a fabulous class, and despite the heavy workload, it has been his favorite class all year.

DS is in 100 this year, and I agree -- very VERY challenging, and a LOT of homework. But none of it is busywork... it's all really good stuff, well-designed and fair, and when he does it (and puts effort into it!) he does well. When he tries to skate by with less than his best work, it shows. And he has really learned to study!

It's really a fabulous class, and despite the heavy workload, it has been his favorite class all year.

:iagree: I can't think of anything in two years that I would consider busy work. Everything is to the point and practicing a skill/vocab/et c.

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of homework isn't a bad thing, as long as it isn't busy work. In fact, I notice ds does much better when he has more work than less. Can any of you tell me about the tests through Lone Pine? Are they graded by the instructor? Computer?

So far the program sounds very good.

oh, Do all f you sit in with your dc?

Thanks.

Danielle

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of homework isn't a bad thing, as long as it isn't busy work. In fact, I notice ds does much better when he has more work than less. Can any of you tell me about the tests through Lone Pine? Are they graded by the instructor? Computer?

The quizzes and tests are on Quia, so the first pass through is graded by computer (anything that's perfectly straightforward -- single words or forms that don't vary, anything with matching or multiple choice) and then the instructor goes through and checks the longer answers or anything that has multiple possibilities. I think she also double-checks the computer grades to give partial credit if the problem is something like spelling rather than being completely wrong. I've not looked closely enough to be certain, but I think that's true.

I've noticed the same thing about my DS - especially in languages, more work makes things go much better, and in some ways it's actually easier because you don't forget so much. The only time the workload has been too much for him this year was when it conflicted with other heavy-workload classes... but that's something you just deal with. A good lesson in not letting things go to the last minute, lest eight more things pile on between now and then! ;)

I don't sit in, but I am in the room or nearby when he's in class. He'll do class at one computer and I'll get something else done at the other.

My oldest two dd's are currently taking Latin through Lukeion, and I am 100% happy with our experience thus far. The lecture presentation is top notch, the class expectations are clearly laid out at the beginning of the semester, and my girls are working hard and doing well. I can't speak to NLE or AP exam results, since we are at the beginning of the journey and my girls will take the NLE for the first time in March, but we are planning to continue with Lukeion through the upper levels--it is that good. In fact, because Latin has been such a wonderful experience, I am looking into other online options for the girls next semester. I highly recommend the Lukeion classes!

Another satisfied customer of Lukeion. My daughter is taking Latin 2B right now and will finish Wheelock's at the end of this semester. Mrs. Barr is an excellent teacher who has a lot of "oomph" -- she's enthusiastic and keeps the students alert. We will definitely stay with Lukeion through Latin 3 and possibly Latin 4.