Menu

Grades - Are they important?

aya2pin

Do you give your children an official pass/fail or A,B,C for the courses they finish. Do you grade individual papers or math tests? We were considering having my daughter apply for an honors program at a local middle school, but they want to see her report card for the past year. They also want a copy of her standardized test score...which we did not take last year because it is only required every two years here. I'm not that worried about it for next year I am concerned that it is going to hold her back in the future if she wants to get into a good high school or even college. I just haven't given grades a second thought so far. We do our work and if they miss something I have them correct it right then and then we move on. What do you do?

Thanks!

Maybe some parents with older kids can post on this one...

I don't keep grades. I do make up report cards for every semester and it lists their accomplishments, curriculum completed, books read, field trips, outside classes and sports, etc.

If you did slap grades on a report card, I doubt they would carry much merit. I think grades are for large group management. When you homeschool, you know exactly what your kid does or doesn't know and you don't move on until they "know" it. I think for colleges, the proof they will look for is in standardized test scores. Make sure their ACT/SAT is at the top of their game.

As far as enrolling in middle school, we're not in that boat, so I don't have any advice.

I hope more experienced parents can give you some advice.

We don't start issuing grades until Middle School. It's just not that important in elementary school... although my 7yo son feels like it is ;)

I based how I figure grades for middle school on how I graded when I taught, as well as when I was a student.

Each class may be weighted a bit differently (for example, I may include a penmanship grade in English, and a notebook grade in Science), but it's usually something like 60% tests; 40% daily grade. If there is an "other" it's usually 10% and that comes equally from tests/daily...).

Not all daily work is graded in the same manner, though. For example, a narration (which he does in literature and history after a reading assignment), is graded as "done" (or 100%), I do circle misspellings, etc., and he has to correct those. Daily work that has actual questions is graded on a percentage scale... with questions given a total number of points based upon the content that is required, and if I require it to be in a complete sentence instead of a short answer).

Reports are based upon a rubric, and assigned points for each section of the rubric. Total Points earned divided by Total Points possible equals the grade. I do not "grade" rough drafts... I do a visual check to see that they are done.

Grades are necessary in highschool -- if you are homeschooling. You will need them for a transcript. It also helps the students develop an understanding for how they will be graded in college (or other classes). For my oldest son, it is also a motivator for him to pay attention, follow directions, and complete assignments... vs. skating by.

If he fails an assignment, he keeps the grade he earned. He still has to go back and correct it...or learn it. But, he doesn't get an "A" because he had to go back and do something.

In math... if he doesn't get at least an 80% on the daily work for that lesson, he has to correct the original problems, and will do additional problems until he reaches at least 80% on that lesson. All of the problems will be averaged together for the daily grade. If it's a test, the test grade stands, but he has to go back and correct the test. If he has flubbed an entire section of the test (showing he doesn't remember that section), we'll go back and work on that section again.)

We have a saying in our house... "Do it right the first time." What I've found with my oldest, is that if I allow him to go back and correct mistakes and do not give him a grade for what he turned in, he will not check his work carefully. Being responsible for his own work is a skill I am trying to inculcate... and that requires grading both daily work and tests.

It's a chore... one I'm trying to make easier for myself.

Reasons to give grades: 1) a particular child finds them motivating, 2) you need records for some outside organization (state requirements, to qualify for a summer program, entrance to a school or college)...

For my kids, in the early years, grades are rare. I might tell them their percentage on a math test (especially if they ask). If they do very well on a narration or dictation, I'll draw a funny star/flower/smiling animal at the top of the page. ... Anything that isn't done well just gets corrected or done again! So not much need for grades.

But the second reason for grading and record-keeping is certainly legitimate. My oldest is in 7th grade this year, but taking two courses that I consider high school credit (an honors geometry class and Latin 2, both outside the home), so I need to keep good records (including grades) for those. I'm also keeping a transcript for his other courses just for my own records and for practice. ;)

Yes, ultimately to *me* the grades don't matter much. But college applications are sneaking up on us faster than I want to think about. And I've heard far too many stories from friends of frantic weeks and all-nighters prior to kids applying to college (or even just high school programs) trying to re-create the classes and grades from courses their kids took 3-4 years prior!

So anyway... I don't grade much in the early years. (I did have to create a report card for entrance to a science program once though -- so sometimes that's necessary even early on.) I'll give the kids a grade on something objective like a math test if they ask. And now, over middle school, we're transitioning to more letter grades. By the time all of ds' classes are high school credit classes, I hope to have transitioned completely. *shudder* ;)

I don't keep grades. I require corrections, but don't record grades.

I didn't have any trouble when my son entered high school for a year. They asked what he had taken and helped place him in classes.

If you are considering a school in the future with those specific requirements (which are not what state law requires you to keep ), then you may want to talk to them now about how you could meet those requirements by placement test or other means. We're required to submit standardized scores or a portfolio assessment every other year starting in third grade to a district of our choice. Attendence is the only other requirement.

I started keeping grades in high school so that I could do the transcript for college, but before that, no grades or report cards here.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't give grades in the early years. I think that we can probably work something out with the school by showing them a portfolio or have my daughter take some kind of placement test.

I don't keep grades.

The kids do what they have to do and if they get it wrong they do it over again.

Now, my oldest Dd share times at the local tech school and she has a 97.3 there so the system is working for me.

And yes, there are colleges that don't need GPAs. They actually would rather see a portfolio of the child's work.

I gave grades on math and spelling tests because my children did well and liked the feedback. In any discussion/quiz/test situation in any subject, they would be given the opportunity to correct any wrong or incomplete answers. There were no course grades. (Of course, that's now changed with my dd in high school.)

In your situation, you can recreate a report card from last year. As you consider her grades, remember what would contribute toward a similar class in public school: attendance; homework; participation; attitude, perhaps? It is natural to expect that your child should be doing A work, B at a minimum, in your homeschool.

You can give a standardized test at any time of year. Does the school have a preference for ITBS, Stanford, etc?

You said that you're not concerned about this now, but you are concerned for the future. You can always begin keeping an informal transcript. It can be as simple as recording the class subject and a grade for each semester. If inclined, you can keep a list of materials used.

You can always begin building a transcript. It's great practice for high school. Two resources I'd highly recommend:

Form-U-La by Barb Shelton (I can't quickly find a good link specifically for this book, but this is a start).

Lee Binz, the Homescholar's free resources. Check out her blog, her montly newsletter, and her website for (free!) info.

I don't keep grades. I require corrections, but don't record grades.

I started keeping grades in high school so that I could do the transcript for college, but before that, no grades or report cards here.

:iagree:It's important to keep track of credits for high school and I do assign grades for h.s. For eled- no. Like Karen, I require corrections.

My dd's ex-bf (valedectorian of a large h.s. in MI) told her how "spoiled" she was because she could make corrections rather than recieving a static grade. Interesting perspecive.

I don't keep or assign grades, and I don't do report cards.

And I don't intend to do any of that stuff until high school.

My daughter is currently in 5th grade and so far, I just have not found it necessary. I want her to learn for the sake of learning, not for some random number or letter or "score" or whatever.