Menu

Mathtacular? Do you love it or hate it?

scrapbabe

My kids get a kick out of them, but honestly, most of the time, I forget to pull the DVDs out to have them watch the lessons!!! (Reading your post reminded me that we have them and that I am NOT getting my money's worth by letting them collect dust on the shelf, so I'm getting them out and popping them in the DVD player tomorrow. :001_smile:)

I view them as a fun way to approach math topics that are either a) not your favorite to teach, b) not the easiest to teach, or c) your child is just not "getting." Justin has a fun way of approaching things that I am more prone to approach like a drill sergeant! Not sure if that helps, but hopefully you can glean SOME insight from my ramblings!

My kids love it (even the little ones - ages 9 to 1). We have all 3 dvds, and they live in the car, where they play perpetually until the kids get tired of it. I don't use it as a curriculum supplement; it's just wholesome, useful entertainment. Once in a while they mention something that they learned by watching.

Just today, ds7 was discussing Roman numerals - it was clear he had learned them well (even L, C, D and M), and I asked if he was learning them in school - he said no, it was the Mathtacular dvd. :confused: :001_smile:

They also think the outtakes are hilarious, but we didn't discover them for a long time.

My kids love them - I'm completely annoyed by them.

I can't stand the insulting "I'm teaching you now little ones. Please pay close attention to me," voice that the actor/teacher uses. It drives me completely batty!

OTOH, the kids adore them, learn from them, and retain the information well, so all in all it was a good buy.

My kids love them - I'm completely annoyed by them.

I can't stand the insulting "I'm teaching you now little ones. Please pay close attention to me," voice that the actor/teacher uses. It drives me completely batty!

OTOH, the kids adore them, learn from them, and retain the information well, so all in all it was a good buy.

:iagree:

My children love the Mathtacular DVD's. They wanted more for Christmas. I bought the first one out of desperation, because my oldest and I were locking horns and having meltdowns on math. I thought maybe another "teacher" would give us both a break. It worked. :)

I put them on just for fun, or when my two youngest are having an especially rowdy day. I agree that Justin's vocal patterns do get annoying, but the fact that my children will blissfully listen to someone else babble about math is worth it.