Menu

Has anyone gotten pregnant after...

DH's cousin reversed hers after she met her incredible, wonderful new husband following a fairly heinous/abusive relationship that ended in divorce. She now has a gorgeous, happy, sweet, spunky girl to go with the two boys she already had. I don't think she had trouble getting pregnant this time, but she had complications during the pregnancy, and the baby was in trouble at delivery. I know there was a much longer hospital stay than usual and a few other hospitalizations that first year, but the baby is now nearly three and amazing despite asthma. W/o asking the cousin point blank, I cannot say whether any of this was related to the reversal or not. I wouldn't think so, but I don't know for certain.

I had a tubal ligation in 1991, and a reversal with Dr. Levin in Louisville, Ky in 2001. I have a 4.5 year old and an almost 3 year old. The surgery wasn't really easy, it is a major surgery. I was gambling in Vegas 48 hours after, sitting in a wheel chair of course LOL .But it was well worth it ! Of the 45 girls that had tubal reversals the same year I did, with the same doctor, only one has not conceived. The pregnancies were no different that the ones I had before the tubal, I was just older LOL.

ETA I was also had a double burn tubal. My chances were 65% that I would conceive ! I only had 6 cm of tube left on one side. The other ovary I had lost many years before.

Edited by StartingOver

A lot has to do with how much tube you have left and the size of the ends of the tube. The tube flares out at the end, so a banding or cutting or burning there would make the two ends a greater difference in diameter than a cutting, etc mid-tube, and a decrease in pregnancy rate. Or at least, a fertilized egg that makes it to the uterus. You could ask the doc on ectopic rates for reversals.

Some things to consider: is the (??new) partner fertile...a check for swimmers before undergoing a much more invasive surgery than the original sterilization. Are the woman's hormones going strong? Then a dye study:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterosalpingography

so the surgeon has some idea of what he or she is facing.

10 years ago it was 6500 bucks, cash on the barrelhead, at a major urban center. This did not involve a night's stay, and some people may need to spend the night. Think of going home right after a C section, only worse.

I decided to do IVF, as much less invasive, but was told my hormones were shot, and hubby's swimmers went in circles, and they wouldn't "waste the OR suite time" on a poor candidate like us. After ascertaining carefully that I understood risk and benefit, I did the reversal, which was MUCH tougher a recovery than a C section, and 6 months later, after much temp taking, and generally doing everything we could (really, you don't want the details) I got preggers. I know that I was very lucky, and most people in my situation would not have have a baby. But it was my body and my risk, and well, gosh, I wouldn't be here with you-all tonight if I hadn't. :)

A girlfriend of mind could look at her husband and get preggers so she got a tubal. They tied the tubes. They lost their last child to cancer and seem lost did foster adoption but still felt like they wanted more of thier own. She called their insurance company they paid for the surgery and she has three more girls and are still not sure if she is done.

My aunt had her tubal reversed 25 years ago when she remarried after a divorce and she and her new husband wanted a child. She attempted to get pregnant for over 18 months without success so they decided to adopt. They got the call on Christmas Day that their baby had been born and 2 days later she found out she was pregnant. So, they had two babies within 7 months of each other (they are now grown).

Obviously people do, or there would be no market for the procedure. ;)

I do have a friend who recently made the attempt. The dr. was unable to do anything with one of the tubes and did his best with the other. At her follow-up appt., they learned that the reattached tube did not "take", and is considered unsuccessful. $6,000 or so later (plus the physical impact of surgery), she's right where she started.

Statistically, I'm sure it's "worth it" if someone really wants to give it another go. But it's also pretty important to prepare for and accept that it could be all for naught.

Yes, had a reversal and we've had two more babies since. I went to a doctor at University of South Florida. We paid cash and I had outpatient surgery. It was more difficult to conceive after, but obviously not impossible! I feel so fortunate. You can find lots of information if you google. I would suggest going with a reputable doctor. I actually lost a downpayment to a dr. in North Carolina (Durham) b/c we had to cancel the surgery a couple of weeks before. I began to feel he was a *reversal mill* and was so glad to find the physician at USF.

Hope that helps,

Lisa

When I had my tubes tied our doctor recommended if we changed our mind to go with IVF.

that was whet I was told as well.

I haven't had a reversal.

I have gotten pregnant twice since. first time I miscarried, and had all sorts of complications, I ended having one ovary removed and dye put through the other tube4 times . a very slight amount went through. the Gino said that I was an extremely high risk of having an ectopic. 1 month later I was pregnant again. he is now 7. He has always been a good swimmer....

When I had my tubes tied our doctor recommended if we changed our mind to go with IVF.

The big difference for me between a reversal and IVF would be if I wanted one child, or more than one. If I only wanted one more, I would be tempted to have IVF. I knew when I did my reversal that I would want at least 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course I was told that my reversal couldn't be reversed. A doctor worth his salt will run tests and look at your tubal ligation lab reports to try to make a determination about the possibility.

When I had mine done my records were gone, I knew there was no way to know what was going to happen. I went into it understanding the odds. Luckily I got a great result.

Edited by StartingOver