Menu

PLanning an orlando trip, opinions on the riverside or caribbean resort?

We are going to Orlando the beginning of April. I am going early with the kids and I was thinking I would stay at the Caribbean resort (for 3 nights), then we are going to Universal for 2 nights, not sure which of the three resorts we will stay in (we want to make use of the skip to the front of the line as that will be Friday and Saturday) Then my mom and hubby are joining us and we are going back to Disney. I was thinking that the riverside looked fun, but a little more grown up for my mom. Any opinions, advice, or things I need to consider with those picks?

Cheers,

Nicole

We stayed at New Orleans Riverside when we went to Disney a couple of years ago. We really liked it there. It was quiet & it had a very peaceful feel to it. The foliage is lush and there are winding paths that run through the different buildings; it's enjoyable to just stroll the paths & relax.

We stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort this past October and liked it a lot. The grounds were lush and spotless and the pool was very nice. The kids enjoyed swimming there at night when we got back to the resort and dh & I loved hanging out at the hot tub (and the outdoor bar is right next to it if you wanted a cocktail or beer). The rooms were fresh and clean and spacious enough that with 4 of us in the room we didn't feel crowded.

The only downside is that the resort is HUGE, so if you want to be near the pool or quick dining/gift shops, you'll want to pay for an upgraded room that gets you right next to all of that. Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of walking and/or catching the resort shuttle to get you there. We decided the extra $20 or so was worth the added convenience and we were glad we went that route. We ended up with our room very close to everything. Overall I'd recommend it.

So, 2 more questions. At the Caribbean are the pirate themed rooms that are $20 nearer to the pool and such? Also, do we need to worry about size at the riverside, or is it a smaller resort?

Thanks so much, this is helping me get ready to book

So, 2 more questions. At the Caribbean are the pirate themed rooms that are $20 nearer to the pool and such? Also, do we need to worry about size at the riverside, or is it a smaller resort?

Preferred rooms will be closer to the pool and the main lobby.

Caribbean Beach is a very large resort. They actually have an internal bus system just for getting around in there.

I'm not sure exactly where the pirate themed rooms are. There may be some near the pool but you'd have to ask. I'd assume there would be some pirate themed rooms in the preferred rooms sections.

Okay, I will check that the pirate rooms are in the preferred area, if not I will go with preferred over pirate at the Caribbean. That is good to know about the French quarter. The only thing that made me lean toward the riverside was that it said it had 6 pools instead of one. I thought the pools would be less crowded. How is the pool at the French Quarter?

I *think* Riverside only has 2 pools. There is a really big one that has a kiddie pool, a HUGE pool with slide, and a hot tub (and a bar!!). Then there's a smaller one. Are they counting the pool at French Quarter and the kiddie pool in that count? We never found the pools crowded. But, we always go in January.

Anyway, we just returned from another stay at Riverside. We LOVED it again!! The setting is so quiet and natural. I find it a very relaxing place to be. I've never stayed at the other two places though.