Menu

Can I make my own unit based\all inclusive program?

5LittleMonkeys

Here is what I am thinking of doing...tell me if you have done this and if it worked out for you OR tell me why you think it wouldn't work out. Edited to add: this is for dd8.

I am going to be using Trail Guide to Learning next year because I am wanting something that teaches skills in context and something that allows those skills to flow into the next with no demarcation between them. All within the study of something we find interesting and engaging.

So, we still have the rest of this year to get through and I am feeling very un-inspired when we sit down and do grammar then switch books and do writing and then switch books again and do .... the next thing, then the next, etc. I was pulling out our botany books (which she is begging to get back to) thinking how I just don't have time to squeeze this in with everything else she needs to do (and the other 3 I have to teach) and it crossed my mind that perhaps I could use the botany study and incorporate all of her other skills subjects into it. I'm thinking that I could certainly work in the writing by using the WWE methods with selections from the library books we get, penmanship would be worked on during this time as well. Whatever she uses as copywork would also double as her grammar model. Flower\nature themed poetry should be easy to find and we could even do a lot of botany themed math problems (although I would keep up with our regular math). Doing plant themed art is a no brainer of coarse and I suppose I could even work in a few books about the history of botany. We could get all of our skill work done AND her favorite subject wouldn't get pushed off the schedule everyday.

So, has anyone already done something like this and would be willing to give me a few tidbits of advice to make this work well?

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

I say go for it! I feel like I do this every year, except, I pull from all different resources to do it instead of creating it myself. Here is what I'm working with for next year:

Guesthollow

SL 3+4

MWF Adventures

Trail Guide to American Geography

And that's just the history/geography portion!

I know it might seem like a lot of work, but in the end, if it sparks you and your kids again for school, it will be worth it.

I'd say the first step should be figuring out what methods work for you.

ALSO, when I was writing curriculum for our school district (when I taught public school) was to "backload", which is to figure out where you want them to be at the END of the year and work backwards, that way you don't get to the end and have left something out. Also, it will help you at the beginning to figure out what goals you have for each child and then figure out how to achieve that goal.

Goodluck! Oh, and share when you get finished...ha ha, just kidding... not really.;)

Also, it will help you at the beginning to figure out what goals you have for each child and then figure out how to achieve that goal.

Okay, I have a question about this part of it. I have only been hs'ing for a little over 2 years and so far I have only had the goal of finishing level whatever in the curriculum I'm using. So, I haven't even thought of what my goals are other than to finish the curriculum. I want to get away from that. What do you base your goals on? Do you use your states scope and sequence? Do you use the goals set forth in your curriculum? :bigear:

cheering for you and asking...do you need to reinvent this? Is there something out there that has done this for you under the title of Unit Study. Just thinking out loud. Homeschool share, maybe? Amanda Bennet. Hands of a Child. Currclick.

:iagree:I have a bad habit of trying to CONSTANTLY reinvent the wheel. :001_huh:

Okay, I have a question about this part of it. I have only been hs'ing for a little over 2 years and so far I have only had the goal of finishing level whatever in the curriculum I'm using. So, I haven't even thought of what my goals are other than to finish the curriculum. I want to get away from that. What do you base your goals on? Do you use your states scope and sequence? Do you use the goals set forth in your curriculum? :bigear:

Again, I use different sources. I look briefly at our state's standards, just to make sure I'm hitting those. I look at WTM for the classical bent and I also briefly look at those What your Child Needs to Know books. I usually supply the goals myself and then make the curriculum work for me. I'm not talking anything formal, just a "I want C to be reading CVC words proficiently and to have an introduction to site words on the 1st grade level". That is an example of a goal that I have set for my little girl. One goal that I have for my oldest is that of being able to write a paragraph without my help. Well, there are several subcategories that go into that, from my perspective. He has to know the structure of a paragraph, sentences, etc. So, I find the curriculums that I feel go with his learning style, my teaching style and dive in. I just take bits and pieces from everything that I want and then go from there. Sometimes I write it out (like using Startwrite software for copy work), but most of the time, I just put together a notebook for our year (kind of like the filing thing, but I've found it is better for me to use notebooks). Also, I would suggest looking at FIAR or Homeschoolshare. I absolutely love them both. When I did FIAR, I had a giant notebook with each title that I wanted to row, then I'd fit all the materials for that "unit" together.

If you were going to write your own, I'd come up with goals for each subject and then figure out what you are going to use to teach that. I think it is easier to come up with goals after you have had a child go through that grade (it was for me anyway). I know what I want my child to know before 9th grade (because that is what I taught), but it was hard for me to get from 9th back to 1st, now it is a little easier since he's in 4th. I also had help from some wise hsing friends of mine.

cheering for you and asking...do you need to reinvent this? Is there something out there that has done this for you under the title of Unit Study. Just thinking out loud. Homeschool share, maybe? Amanda Bennet. Hands of a Child. Currclick.

I have looked at some of those and Hands of a Child has a Botany study but it seems to include most of what I already have. I have lots of plant books and I have Apologia Botany and an Evan-Moor Plants book that I think could be easily turned into a lapbook (it has minibooks, picture cards, record sheets, etc.) and has tons of experiments in it. We are going to be planning a garden this spring so I think we could get lots of math practice with measuring out the plots and dividing it up, keeping track of how many flowers or vegetables are produced per plant and making charts...you get the picture. I just need to incorporate language arts skill work based on my goals for her and try to find some history tie ins and I think I will have a pretty good plan. Thanks for those other ideas though...I hadn't looked at Homeschool share before. It looks really good and I could see us using the literature based unit studies in the future.

Thanks Shannon. I'm probably making it out to be more difficult than it is. I have a good idea of where I would like her to be so I will check our state standards in combination with the curriculum that she was using just to make sure I'm on track and make my own goals. See, I still think I need someone else to tell me what the goals should be...I need to trust myself.:D

:iagree:I have a bad habit of trying to CONSTANTLY reinvent the wheel. :001_huh:

ME, TOO. :driving: We tweak/pick apart every curriculum that walks through our front door. I don't know what my problem is. :tongue_smilie:

5LittleMonkeys, I check the state standards every school year, too. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I gave my 3rd grader an older version of the TAKS (that standardized test in Texas) in January. :D I was very pleasantly surprised and it caused me to back off a LOT. They learn so much homeschooling. I am so happy that we get to work with them at home, tweak their curriculum, add stuff, etc. How awesome!

There were a couple of threads about Unit Studies recently. Also there was a book on amazon that someone on the forums was reading...

http://www.amazon.com/Unit-Studies-Bendt-Family-Ministries/dp/1885814135/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295959185&sr=8-1 Here it is. I might buy this book out of curiosity this spring. The reviews on it are pretty good.

Aime, have you read Ruth Beechick's 'You CAN Teach Your Child Successfully'? It is for Gr. 4--8 but you could easily use it for an 8 yr. old. She has a section in there for LA and she has sample lesson plans that might help you put it all together. I have done what you want to do many times. I have used Beechik's ideas for LA but I have always used a formal curriculum as back-up.

Thanks Shannon. I'm probably making it out to be more difficult than it is. I have a good idea of where I would like her to be so I will check our state standards in combination with the curriculum that she was using just to make sure I'm on track and make my own goals. See, I still think I need someone else to tell me what the goals should be...I need to trust myself.:D

Well, I forgot another resource...my mom! She has been teaching elementary for almost 25 years, (at almost every level) so she has helped me figure out where the kids should be, and answer all of my questions. She has taught various grades and used various curriculums, so she has a great idea about the milestones that they should be hitting. She is an awesome teacher, so I figure if we're following her guides, we'll be doing good!;)

I could give you her email!:lol:

Her dream is to retire and then find about three kids to homeschool to supplement her income!

http://www.amazon.com/Unit-Studies-Bendt-Family-Ministries/dp/1885814135/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295959185&sr=8-1 Here it is. I might buy this book out of curiosity this spring. The reviews on it are pretty good.

Thanks. I'll check this out.:001_smile:

Aime, have you read Ruth Beechick's 'You CAN Teach Your Child Successfully'? It is for Gr. 4--8 but you could easily use it for an 8 yr. old. She has a section in there for LA and she has sample lesson plans that might help you put it all together. I have done what you want to do many times. I have used Beechik's ideas for LA but I have always used a formal curriculum as back-up.

Actually I haven't read any of Beechick's books but I really should because the curriculum I've fallen in love with for next year is based on her methods.

Well, I forgot another resource...my mom!

How lucky for you!! I'm going to dig into some resources and see if I can get a good feel for what goals I'm looking for but if I get stuck I might take you up on the e-mail offer. Thanks!

Thanks for all of the encouragement...I'm really excited to plan this out and get started. Dd8 is fascinated with the prospect of learning everything through her study of Botany...she seems kind of suspicious though, I think she thinks there's a catch or something.:tongue_smilie: