Menu

Which Biology - please help!

I am looking for 9th grade biology for ds. It must be secular. This kid does not like and is not interested in biology. However, he has already aced BJU Life Science in 7th which is quite rigorous.

I first thought I would use one of the Campbell texts. I have (and am) considering Concepts and Connections, but I am afraid he would have trouble with the connections.

So then I looked at Biology Exploring Life. I got the CD with the whole text on it and it covers LESS than BJU Life Science in most areas. The only things I saw added were a bit more chemistry which he has covered this year and more on evolution, which I do want.

So, if he has already covered most of Exploring Life, do we go onto Concepts and Connections or do we just need to switch authors? What about the Miller Levine book from PH? Does anyone have another suggestion? The Holt text used by Oak Meadow looks even easier than Exploring Life, but I haven't had my hands on it to read it all. Is my impression wrong?

My next child loves Life Science. I'll use Concepts and Connections with her, but I just can't figure out where to land with this one. Please help!

I recommend checking out Oak Meadow.

Do you know of an online preview of the book they use? I can't find one.

I just spent a couple of hours going through the Miller Levine text from PH and it is actually a better fit than Exploring Life was. It has now moved to the top of my list unless I find another option.

I just spent a couple of hours going through the Miller Levine text from PH and it is actually a better fit than Exploring Life was. It has now moved to the top of my list unless I find another option.

Not sure about the book sample, but they give some sample lessons. If you find out the name of the book, could you visit Amazon to get a peek at it?

The lesson plan sample looks fine, but our local school district uses that text book as an honors 7th grade Life Science book. I really have a hard time using it when we already did a very challenging 7th grade Life Science course.

They use the Miller Levine for 9th grade honors Biology, even though it is not an honors course according to PH.

Anyone else have experience with the Miller Levine book or other suggestions for a challenging, but not too challenging Biology? I have a science degree and I have no trouble teaching it if that matters.

Debbie, just curious, do you have a copy of the Miller Levine book or did you see it on-line? I'd love to pre-view that book as well.

I'm researching 9th grade biology too. So far these are my favorites. I really don't know much about them to be able to discuss them, but they are my favorites from just tinkering with them. My dd will be in 8th next year, so I have a year to research:lol:!

My main goal is to choose a biology that is directed to the student and is hands-off for the teacher. (Not that I don't want to be involved.... I just don't want the responsibility of teaching high school science).

• Science Shepherd

• Hippocampus with a corresponding text (choose one from their list)

• Concepts and Connections with an on-line link to lesson plans and add-ons. http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/

• BJU with dvds (We're finishing up BJU Life Science this year. This is a natural progression, but dd isn't too excited about the format of BJU. Kind of hope she changes her mind by the end of the year.)

Your comment about Concepts and Connections makes me wonder just how *hard* that text is. I know it's one of the most popular mentioned in the biology threads, but I've never seen it. The on-line plans and add-ons make the science come alive. I like that.

HTH

See if you can look at the books your state uses. Possible places: 1) libraries of colleges in your state which have an education major will usually carry the state-approved textbooks, 2) some states have a textbook depository--google that 3) Ask to see the texts from a couple of local school

Nothing beats seeing, imo.

Debbie, just curious, do you have a copy of the Miller Levine book or did you see it on-line? I'd love to pre-view that book as well.

HTH

It is online here http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS1zJo&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryID=814&

You have to register. When you do, you have to pick a school (I just picked our local high school), then it lets you say you are a homeschool teacher. It validated me to see the student text, lab manual and workbook - no teacher materials. The interface was a bit slow, but I read the first 60 pages, then skipped to various sections and read more. The entire student text is there. The pages are very busy, but the level of the information was just perfect for us with lots of review and plenty of new material too. The layout is very like the PH Physical Science I'm using now which has the same advantages and draw-backs in my mind (cluttered, but well written).

I had planned to use Khan Academy or Hippocampus videos. I hadn't found the textbook correlations for Hippocampus, until you told me they were there. Thanks!

The one thing I realized about Quarks and Quirks is that it uses Exploring the Way Life Works more than Concepts and Connections. That made me lose interest. The newest version of that book is 10 yrs old and that is just too old for a Biology book in my opinion.

Edited by Momto2Ns
comments on additional resources

See if you can look at the books your state uses. Possible places: 1) libraries of colleges in your state which have an education major will usually carry the state-approved textbooks, 2) some states have a textbook depository--google that 3) Ask to see the texts from a couple of local school

Nothing beats seeing, imo.

I agree! I spent a lot of time last night seeing if I could request any of them and didn't do so well. Our library has the ones our local district uses for in-library use only. I'm going to go there Friday and see if that helps. I tried doing a state wide request for some of the others I wanted to see, but they all came up unavailable. It seems they are all in-library use only and it is a bit too far for me to drive to a state college to preview a text book. I'm still trying to come up with as many samples as possible though!

We are very satisfied with Science Shepherd. You can see online samples at Rainbow Resource. They have a rather detailed review as well.

If I were looking for a student directed Christian program, I would really consider this one. It looks good. Although, in truth if I were going with a Christian program I would continue with BJU. However, having a degree in science, I really feel that it is important to have my kids do secular high school science. Neither one plans to go to a Christian college, so I would prefer they get used to the secular approach to science while I am teaching rather than after they leave home.

We are very satisfied with Science Shepherd. You can see online samples at Rainbow Resource. They have a rather detailed review as well.

Holly, I like Science Shepherd too. Would you answer just a few questions about it???:001_smile:

• Is the chemistry too much to understand? We've only done Real Science 4 Kids.... and that was several years ago. Although, I do plan for us to study CPO physical science next year which teaches chemistry and physics. That should help. Will it be enough? Do you also feel like SS will be a prep to 10th grade chemistry (whatever that ends up being?:confused:)

• Is it mostly written to the student and hands-off for the teacher?

• Could it be used to study for the AP test?

• How does it compare to Campbell's Exploring Life and Campbell's Concepts and Connections?

If I were looking for a student directed Christian program, I would really consider this one. It looks good. Although, in truth if I were going with a Christian program I would continue with BJU. However, having a degree in science, I really feel that it is important to have my kids do secular high school science. Neither one plans to go to a Christian college, so I would prefer they get used to the secular approach to science while I am teaching rather than after they leave home.

Momto2Ns, would you tell me why you would choose BJU over Science Shepherd if you were to choose a Christian curriculum?

As far as studying for the AP test, have you read recommendations for any certain biology texts?

I am LOVING this conversation about biology here and in other recent threads. This is really helping me understand more about the current choices.

Sweet,

I appreciate the conversations too! The reason I would choose BJU is that I think it is the most rigorous of the Christian science programs. I really like BJU in 6th & 7th grade. If I could stand the young earth opinion, which I don't share, I would still love it. I like teaching science and I think I could have continued to teach BJU. I think for most people, the high school level courses require DVD though which not everyone can afford.

* Is the chemistry too much to understand?

The chemistry is complex and you might have to take it slow or review the material. But, we have not found it too much. On several occasions, dd did have to go back over things more than once. I spent some lessons with pen and paper drawing or diagramming some concepts. But, overall, it was fine. I don't want to make it sound overwhelming because it is not - esp compared to BJU.

We've only done Real Science 4 Kids.... and that was several years ago. Although, I do plan for us to study CPO physical science next year which teaches chemistry and physics. That should help. Will it be enough? Do you also feel like SS will be a prep to 10th grade chemistry (whatever that ends up being?) I don't know. I've never looked at biology as a chemistry prep before. There is a fair amount of biochemistry in SS. The discussion of organic chemistry is very interesting. Also the different types of bonding is very well presented. I've found myself saying more than a few times that "we will get more (of whatever topic) next year with chemistry" I don't know what I'm going to use for chemistry next year. I was looking at AOP LifePac (no flames please, just considering all options) just this week. One of the units on the introduction of carbon into the food chain. We covered that quite well in SS.

* Is it mostly written to the student and hands-off for the teacher? It could be. I love science so I want to be a part of the process. What we have found works best is for dd to read the assigned sections. Then, I go through the discussion questions in the TM that same day. There are usually 2 or 3 per section. I clarify whatever she has trouble understanding. It usually takes 3-4 days per chapter. At the end of the chapter, she studies the chapter review questions and I quiz or discuss that with her. She takes the test the following day.

* Could it be used to study for the AP test? That I don't know. I've not looked into that yet.

* How does it compare to Campbell's Exploring Life and Campbell's Concepts and Connections? I've not looked at this program

Now, if only I knew what I was going to use for chemistry.........

I think SS is one of the more "neutral" of the Christian texts I've seen. Now, we are only on chapter 11 so I cannot say this is true for the entire text. There is a chapter on creation/evolution coming up but I have not looked at it yet. I do agree BJU is probably the most ambitious of the texts and many really like it. I find it rather "heavy handed" for lack of better phrase. I wish you could see SS in person and compare it to a secular text. I would be curious how it compares.

* Is the chemistry too much to understand?

The chemistry is complex and you might have to take it slow or review the material. But, we have not found it too much. On several occasions, dd did have to go back over things more than once. I spent some lessons with pen and paper drawing or diagramming some concepts. But, overall, it was fine. I don't want to make it sound overwhelming because it is not - esp compared to BJU.

We've only done Real Science 4 Kids.... and that was several years ago. Although, I do plan for us to study CPO physical science next year which teaches chemistry and physics. That should help. Will it be enough? Do you also feel like SS will be a prep to 10th grade chemistry (whatever that ends up being?) I don't know. I've never looked at biology as a chemistry prep before. There is a fair amount of biochemistry in SS. The discussion of organic chemistry is very interesting. Also the different types of bonding is very well presented. I've found myself saying more than a few times that "we will get more (of whatever topic) next year with chemistry" I don't know what I'm going to use for chemistry next year. I was looking at AOP LifePac (no flames please, just considering all options) just this week. One of the units on the introduction of carbon into the food chain. We covered that quite well in SS.

* Is it mostly written to the student and hands-off for the teacher? It could be. I love science so I want to be a part of the process. What we have found works best is for dd to read the assigned sections. Then, I go through the discussion questions in the TM that same day. There are usually 2 or 3 per section. I clarify whatever she has trouble understanding. It usually takes 3-4 days per chapter. At the end of the chapter, she studies the chapter review questions and I quiz or discuss that with her. She takes the test the following day.

* Could it be used to study for the AP test? That I don't know. I've not looked into that yet.

* How does it compare to Campbell's Exploring Life and Campbell's Concepts and Connections? I've not looked at this program

Now, if only I knew what I was going to use for chemistry.........

Holly, have you ever looked at Hippocampus? It's www.hippocampus.org. Click on the biology link and explore. It looks like you could take one of the text books they offer (look under Texts) or use a text of your choosing, and you can use the teaching there to supplement the information you are studying.

I've never used Hippocampus, but it looks like something I would like to use as we begin high school.

Thanks so much for answering my questions about SS! :001_smile:

PS.... Notice all the other subjects they offer as well!

Sweet,

I appreciate the conversations too! The reason I would choose BJU is that I think it is the most rigorous of the Christian science programs. I really like BJU in 6th & 7th grade. If I could stand the young earth opinion, which I don't share, I would still love it. I like teaching science and I think I could have continued to teach BJU. I think for most people, the high school level courses require DVD though which not everyone can afford.

Thanks so much, Debbie! What do you know about AP??? I'm really not sure if it's something we would actually do, but I'd like to know more about it.

I only know what I've read about AP. Since my oldest is only in 8th grade, I can only speculate. There are much wiser voices on the topic around here.

I also wanted to direct you to Khan Academy if you haven't been there. http://www.khanacademy.org/ Just scroll down and you'll find the Biology section. I haven't used Biology yet, but we really liked the Chemistry section this year as we were doing Chem the first half of the year in Physical Science. My health deteriorated for awhile and I wasn't able to teach consistently. I bought the DIVE Physical Science DVD and it bored my son to tears. Khan Academy saved us! Really, it was a Godsend. I was planning to use it with all my future science years, but I'm going to watch some hippocampus lectures since they are already correlated to texts and see if I like the as well. I can't compare them yet.

I agree! I spent a lot of time last night seeing if I could request any of them and didn't do so well. Our library has the ones our local district uses for in-library use only. I'm going to go there Friday and see if that helps. I tried doing a state wide request for some of the others I wanted to see, but they all came up unavailable. It seems they are all in-library use only and it is a bit too far for me to drive to a state college to preview a text book. I'm still trying to come up with as many samples as possible though!

I think it will really help to see the ones your district uses, particularly if you are in a decent school district.

I'm so excited. I was just able to do an ILL request through the college system to get Concepts and Connections. The library I use has the 2004 Miller Levine, and the entire text of the 2010 version is available for preview on-line. I will finally be able to compare side by side!

I know no one else cares, but this is such a relief for me. I'm really excited!

I'm so excited. I was just able to do an ILL request through the college system to get Concepts and Connections. The library I use has the 2004 Miller Levine, and the entire text of the 2010 version is available for preview on-line. I will finally be able to compare side by side!

I know no one else cares, but this is such a relief for me. I'm really excited!

Momto2Ns, I care!:lol: I'm uncomfortable with the privacy policy and the terms of agreement on the Pearson site. I don't know where else to try to see the Miller Levine text. (or the Concepts and Connections text.)

After you compare them side by side, would you please give us all your opinion? You can be as detailed as possible!:D

I'm kind of interested in the Science Shepherd book. It is advertised to be written to the student and written for the most science-phobic moms! :thumbup: I'd like to compare it to these other secular texts.

Alabama - I have been watching this thread very closely. I am trying to decide between all these options also. My son also did BJU Life Science also with Homesat videos. I am trying to decide between BJU with DIVE or Apologia with DIVE - mostly cuz I have been practically given it - but don't love it and don't love the fact that it doesn't have any anatomy and it's a separate course. I think I have ruled out BJU online because of the time constraints. And, I don't think I want a secular text here.

I am most intrigued with Science Shepherd - I just wish it was a little more widely used. Not sure why, though???

To muddy the waters a friend is going to show me Abeka's Bio that I had ruled out when I had it to look over because it seemed soooo geared toward classroom. But, she says it's great! I did love the pictures!!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread and to vent my confusion too!!! :D

I think we need to all pick the same thing, then we can support each other next year!

I'll do my best to give both texts a thorough review Sweet. I have to admit, I didn't even read the privacy policy. They didn't take much info and I wasn't concerned.

It is online here http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS1zJo&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryID=814&

You have to register. When you do, you have to pick a school (I just picked our local high school), then it lets you say you are a homeschool teacher. It validated me to see the student text, lab manual and workbook - no teacher materials. The interface was a bit slow, but I read the first 60 pages, then skipped to various sections and read more. The entire student text is there. The pages are very busy, but the level of the information was just perfect for us with lots of review and plenty of new material too. The layout is very like the PH Physical Science I'm using now which has the same advantages and draw-backs in my mind (cluttered, but well written).

I had planned to use Khan Academy or Hippocampus videos. I hadn't found the textbook correlations for Hippocampus, until you told me they were there. Thanks!

The one thing I realized about Quarks and Quirks is that it uses Exploring the Way Life Works more than Concepts and Connections. That made me lose interest. The newest version of that book is 10 yrs old and that is just too old for a Biology book in my opinion.

I know that Biology has been changed a lot. However, for teaching HS or 1st year college, do we need the most updated textbook? For what I know, one of the top HSs in Houston, Texas, they use 6th edition Biology by Campbell (Daddy campbell) for their AP Biology classes.

If you don't mind getting the older editions, you can get 5th edition for Concepts and Connections by Campbell for $15 (we got ours in very good condition, no writing and high lights, no CD in 2009 for $10) or 6th edition for $30 from Amazon marketplace.

Best regards,

Liem

3YBzaz, This is the first year SS has been available.

OH!!! Thanks! So - you really like it??? Is it tough to implement - like do you have to help a lot. I am fine with Bio - Chem and Physics, not so much! But, I don't want to have to totally teach the class. Is the DVD enough help? Did you get the lab kit? Was it helpful?

Thank you for your help!

Maureen

3YBzaz, This is the first year SS has been available.

Holly, I'm glad you said this. I didn't know it was thier 1st year. That helps explain why it isn't as widely used.

I might wait until the end of the school year and ask all of the SS users how their year ended. I'd also be interested to know who is considering it for next year.

Just throwing in one more text that I used with my older son when he was in eighth grade:

http://www.bookbyte.com/1/1/10432-exploring-the-way-life-works-the-science-of-biology-by-hoagland.html

There is what appears to be a well thought out plan for using one of Hoagland's other books here:

High School Biology with Living Books by Jamie McMillin.

Regards,

Kareni

Just throwing in one more text that I used with my older son when he was in eighth grade:

http://www.bookbyte.com/1/1/10432-exploring-the-way-life-works-the-science-of-biology-by-hoagland.html

I know a lot of people like this book, but it is 10 years old! Too me that is just too old in a rapidly changing field. It works for math, but not life science. I wouldn't use it unless they released an update.

Alabama - I have been watching this thread very closely. I am trying to decide between all these options also. My son also did BJU Life Science also with Homesat videos. I am trying to decide between BJU with DIVE or Apologia with DIVE - mostly cuz I have been practically given it - but don't love it and don't love the fact that it doesn't have any anatomy and it's a separate course. I think I have ruled out BJU online because of the time constraints. And, I don't think I want a secular text here.

I am most intrigued with Science Shepherd - I just wish it was a little more widely used. Not sure why, though???

To muddy the waters a friend is going to show me Abeka's Bio that I had ruled out when I had it to look over because it seemed soooo geared toward classroom. But, she says it's great! I did love the pictures!!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread and to vent my confusion too!!! :D

Just checking in..... have you had a chance to look at the Abeka biology text?

Just checking in..... have you had a chance to look at the Abeka biology text?

No. I looked at BJU v Abeka for science back in 6th grade and BJU won hands down. I've never looked at Abeka again. I am definitely going secular for high school though.

Both Concepts and Connections and Miller Levine Biology are both on their way to my library. I'm trying not to go crazy waiting for them. I'm pretty sure I will chose one of them, but there is always the chance I won't like either one and will have to try again! I guess that is why I'm looking so hard in January for a subject we will actually start in August.

No. I looked at BJU v Abeka for science back in 6th grade and BJU won hands down. I've never looked at Abeka again. I am definitely going secular for high school though.

Both Concepts and Connections and Miller Levine Biology are both on their way to my library. I'm trying not to go crazy waiting for them. I'm pretty sure I will chose one of them, but there is always the chance I won't like either one and will have to try again! I guess that is why I'm looking so hard in January for a subject we will actually start in August.

Thanks! I've been trying to read everything I can find on these secular books. I think you are ahead of me on this. Last night I thought I was all settled on Campbell's Exploring Life until I read that they are not updating it anymore. The publisher has switched their focus to Miller Levine instead.

I liked certain parts of Miller Levine (note-taking skills, mystery hook, and standardized testing practice) yet it also looked a little complicated with all of the links. It may be just great, and we may love it. At the same time, it struck me that we might like a "just the facts" text better. That is what Science Shepherd would be for us.

I looked at Concepts and Connections. It might be a great book but truly with it and Exploring Life I'm having a little trouble with the pervasiveness of evolution throughout the text. Exploring Life seemed to be less pervasive of the two. Also, I'm just not sure which is best for biology after BJU Life. I can understand studying evolution at home before hearing it in college... I think I need a resource of some kind that will help to clearly define evolution vs. Creation. I feel "safer" teaching from a Christian text and adding in evolutionary view rather than teaching from a secular text and adding in Creation view. :001_huh:

Anyway... I'm down to:

• Miller Levine...as a possible secular book

• Science Shepherd with Khan Academy, Hippocampus, or Thinkwell... written by a Christian and supplemented by secular helps.

• BJU Biology maybe with DIVE although I STRONGLY think my dd would be bored to tears with DIVE. The BJU DVD teacher does not have a lot of experience so the DVDs are not as interesting as with Mrs. Vick.

There may be other text that I should consider. These are just the ones I'm most interested in for the moment.:lol:

In the Science Shepherd FAQs, the author talks about the functions of science being the same whether you take an evolutionary or Creationist view. He tries to write with this in mind. (This is from #4 if you care to check it out.) So, SS is kind of written inbetween a completely secular book (Campbell) and completely Creation book (BJU). It is also very homeschool friendly.... written to the student and not dependent on the parent. I can't decide if it could be used for AP study or not. The author states in the FAQ that it can be used to prepare for CLEP. When I emailed him to ask about AP, he said it could also be used for it as well. But I'm still unsure about this. AP and CLEP are not the same, and I would like more clarification.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I was leaning so strongly towards Exploring Life, that I bought the CD from Amazon that includes the entire text plus activities and labs. I loved the CD, but there was almost nothing in the text that wasn't covered in BJU Life Science. In fact there were sections such as Anatomy where BJU Life had more. I was so disappointed!

Thats when I started looking at ML. It is stronger in cell biology which is not my thing. I have a pre-vet degree. I was more interested in the whole not the parts. Anyway, there is lots of new material coming from BJU Life. There is also a LOT of evolution. You might find me weird, but I really want that.

I originally thought I would do Concepts and Connections, then got worried it was too hard. Now I'm back to it and ML. I hope they both arrive at the library today because we are supposed to have a big snow/ice storm get here tonight and I probably won't be back out for several days. :toetap05:

I was leaning so strongly towards Exploring Life, that I bought the CD from Amazon that includes the entire text plus activities and labs. I loved the CD, but there was almost nothing in the text that wasn't covered in BJU Life Science. In fact there were sections such as Anatomy where BJU Life had more. I was so disappointed!

Thats when I started looking at ML. It is stronger in cell biology which is not my thing. I have a pre-vet degree. I was more interested in the whole not the parts. Anyway, there is lots of new material coming from BJU Life. There is also a LOT of evolution. You might find me weird, but I really want that.

I originally thought I would do Concepts and Connections, then got worried it was too hard. Now I'm back to it and ML. I hope they both arrive at the library today because we are supposed to have a big snow/ice storm get here tonight and I probably won't be back out for several days. :toetap05:

Here's hoping your books come. I want you to know that I really appreciaty your sharing information with me. My dd wants to work with animals, but she doen't know what she wants to study in college. It could be she chooses to go into vet science!:blink::eek:

I'll be so interested in your opinions for science since you have that background. I can handle BJU science topics and just a hint of chemistry, but I'm NOT a scientist and am quite intimidated to think of "teaching" these upper level science classes.:smilielol5:What a laugh!

I agree with the previous poster about Exploring Life. If you have completed BJU Life Science, Exploring Life will be a review (except for the evolution part). Unfortunately, I bought the set because of the great reviews and now I have to send it back to the publisher. I am hoping Concepts and Connections will be a meatier text.

Thank you so much for confirming this, Teacher Mom.

I agree with the previous poster about Exploring Life. If you have completed BJU Life Science, Exploring Life will be a review (except for the evolution part). Unfortunately, I bought the set because of the great reviews and now I have to send it back to the publisher. I am hoping Concepts and Connections will be a meatier text.

Have you gotten to look at Concepts and Connections yet?

Still watching this closely. I am leaning towards Science Shepherd as well, Alabama!! Blessings to you for starting this great thread!

3byzaz, I'm so glad you are learning from this thread. I am too!!! I just want to give credit where credit is due..... although I started a similar biology thread, this one was started by Momto2Ns. The one I started is here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238358

3byzaz, would you please tell us why you are leaning toward Science Shepherd? Let's compare notes!:bigear:

Oh, duh - I'm so confused!! :tongue_smilie:

Pretty much for the same reasons as you. We came out of BJU 7th. I want something pretty rigorous - but not overly so...more in...not tooo time consuming. Something do-able at home. Something somewhat colorful (not as b&w as Apologia looks), and something that is Christian, but not overly so. I like the layout and ease of use that it looks like SS has. I don't want to use a secular text - but that's just me. I am looking at the Abeka one that a friend has on Wed, though. However, I looked it over last year. I find that Abeka and BJU are just really much more designed for classroom and there are tooooo many labs that just aren't do-able at home. Still considering BJU with DIVE. Guess it's down to those two!!

Have you gotten to look at Concepts and Connections yet?

Mom.... this was posted on the other biology question. What do you think?

Originally Posted by Michelle in AL viewpost.gif

We've used Exploring Life and Biology Concepts & Connections. I much prefer Exploring Life for the first Biology unless a student is very talented in science. Exploring Life is thorough, nicely paced and easily understanble.

Concepts & Connections had to much focus on Connections to me and was too complex to be done as a 1st Biology. It is definitely non science major college level and would be best done after an initial bio class.

:iagree:I own the 6th edition of Concepts and Connections and it very much an AP Biology/Biology II course. In my opinion, it is much too advanced for the average 9th grader.

My DD is now attending public high school. For her Pre-AP Biology I, they used the Miller Levine book. They will use Concepts & Connections for AP Biology.

The Home School Burrow

Mrs. Weasley married to Mr. Weasley:001_wub: and Mom to Ginny:svengo: & Ron :cool:

Tolerate, Educate, Acomplishate (Elegantlion)

My older son used the 2001 edition of this book in 2005, along with some of the materials available at their website. I thought they had updated this book again in 2007 or 2009, but I guess that didn't happen....

We also used materials available for free from the Howard Hughes Institute, namely a series of video lectures entitled 2000 and Beyond: Combating the Microbe Menace and Clockwork Genes: Discoveries in Biological Time. (He did a science experiment that year involving Circadian rhythms.)

He read pertinent portions of The World Beneath Our Feet: A guide to Life in the Soil, James B. Nardi. Oxford University Press, 2003.

He read the biology section of The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, James Trefil and Robert M. Hazen. Third Edition. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., publishers, 2001. This reading was paired with video lectures by The Teaching Company to complement the readings.

He read the introductory chapter of Botany, Randy Moore, W. Dennis Clark and Darrell S. Vodopich. Second Edition. WCB/McGraw Hill, 1998.

He read The Ascent of Man, J. Bronowski

He read excerpted stories from: The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the WorldĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Most baffling Crimes, Colin Evans.

He read:

A Brief History of the Mind: From Apes to Intellect and Beyond, William H. Calvin

The Selfish Gene, Richard Dawkins

The Ages of Gaia, James Lovelock

Three Scientists and Their Gods: Looking for Meaning in an Age of Information, Robert Wright

The Blind Watchmaker, Richard Dawkins

And he had group discussion forums available through two different coop instructors during the course of the school year. More traditional approaches to lecture format, note taking, memorization of standard terminology, test-taking, etc. were utilized in these settings, as well as some dissection work. So I used Hoagland as just one component of a more "living books" approach. The chapters of that book actually give a quite comprehensive list of recommended reading that could be used to help fill out a reading list.

However, it is not going to provide a program such as something like a Campbell's, with it's vocabulary heavy study....

Edited by mcconnellboys

Okay, I have the book in front of me. First, let me say that Concepts and Connections is listed as an Honors book on the publisher's website, not as an AP book.

Okay, how to describe this book? The word choice is advanced. From page 61: "Products of the ER are usually modified during their transit from the receiving to the shipping side of the Golgi. For example, various Golgi enzymes modify the carbohydrate portions of glycoproteins." The pictures are really great and very descriptive. The Chapter Review answers are in the back of the student book. The Study Guide questions are answered in the back of the Study Guide book.

I don't know what each of you is looking for in a biology book so I am just going to use my opinion. I would not use this as an intro biology book but, for us, BJU Life Sciences is our intro to biology book. What I am looking for is a book to use after BJU Life. I like this book and will use it. Why? It is not as busy as some of the others I have seen-- no definitions in the margin or discussions in the margins. It will definitely be a step up for us but I think we can manage it. I had to take it away from my 7th grader because she was reading it while sitting on the couch but she loves science. The only thing that sorta frightens me is, that at 781 pages, it may take us two years to get through the whole thing.

In short, if you have already done a course in biology, this may be what you are looking for. It seems, from my very quick read, that you have to know the basics of biology already in order to catch on to the connections, but that is just my opinion. Keep in mind though, I have a biology and chemistry background, so you really need to preview this book to see if it will work for you and your student.

If you have specific questions about Concepts and Connections, I will be glad to answer them.

Teacher Mom, I have questions. This is going to sound strange... but would you please explain the significance of "Concepts" and "Connections"? What, exactly are the concepts that are being connected? How pervasive is the topic of evolution?

Also, how will you teach this biology? I REALLY want something that is written to the student that does not require me to do the teaching. I understand the science in BJU Life Science and I know only the slightest bit of chemistry. (I only took intro to chemistry in college and did well to make Bs and Cs in that.)

Finally, will you do experiments? How will that work out if you use C&C?

Thanks so much!!!

I don't know what each of you is looking for in a biology book so I am just going to use my opinion. I would not use this as an intro biology book but, for us, BJU Life Sciences is our intro to biology book. What I am looking for is a book to use after BJU Life. I like this book and will use it. Why? It is not as busy as some of the others I have seen-- no definitions in the margin or discussions in the margins. It will definitely be a step up for us but I think we can manage it. I had to take it away from my 7th grader because she was reading it while sitting on the couch but she loves science. The only thing that sorta frightens me is, that at 781 pages, it may take us two years to get through the whole thing.

In short, if you have already done a course in biology, this may be what you are looking for. It seems, from my very quick read, that you have to know the basics of biology already in order to catch on to the connections, but that is just my opinion. Keep in mind though, I have a biology and chemistry background, so you really need to preview this book to see if it will work for you and your student.

If you have specific questions about Concepts and Connections, I will be glad to answer them.

See here is the rub. Several of the people on this thread did BJU Life Science in 7th grade. Having done that most standard biology books seem like just a review of what we have already done. However, for me, this is for a child who is not interested in a science major, so I don't want to choose something too difficult. One thing that someone said is that this book gives many explanations by using analogies that their child had trouble following. Did you find this to be an issue and if there are a lot of analogies for explanations can you maybe give me an example of one?

I am getting this book on ILL so I will see it in person eventually. I am really trying to decide which would be a better fit Miller Levine, Concepts and Connections or something I haven't thoroughly considered yet;). Something that is a step up from BJU Life or Exploring Life, but not a leap up if that makes sense.

Please pardon my complete ignorance here, but I'm just now catching up on this thread (ds in in 6th and I've just gotten a bee in my bonnet to start planning highschool... to some extent or other).

As for the BJU dvds, I'm confused. I've seen great excitement re: Mrs. Vick as a biology teacher. Is she NOT the teacher on the dvds? And if not, how does one get into her class, so to speak? Does she teach an on-line option (similar to that of the Potter's School)?

Again, please bear with me-- you have all been a wealth of info... just trying to get it all figured out!

Please pardon my complete ignorance here, but I'm just now catching up on this thread (ds in in 6th and I've just gotten a bee in my bonnet to start planning highschool... to some extent or other).

As for the BJU dvds, I'm confused. I've seen great excitement re: Mrs. Vick as a biology teacher. Is she NOT the teacher on the dvds? And if not, how does one get into her class, so to speak? Does she teach an on-line option (similar to that of the Potter's School)?

Again, please bear with me-- you have all been a wealth of info... just trying to get it all figured out!

Hi Virginia,

BJU Life Science is BJU's 7th grade science. We use the DVD option (you can also choose the on-line version). Mrs. Vick is the teacher. To get into the "class" you buy one of the options.

This is a fantastic science. We've learned more than science.... note-taking and test-taking skills, outlining from a textbook, and how to use a text book. My dd has truly matured this year. It has been our transition year to prepare for harder classes in 8th grade and high school.

The biggest con: You don't get to keep the DVDs (on-line videos), and you pay dearly for them. Try $400. Yes, I'll send these back to BJU at the end of the year. I WILL get to keep our student and teacher's book, so if I want to do this again with another child, I'll have to pay for DVDs again (or use the on-line option.) The on-line option is $100 cheaper.

Let me know if you have any more questions.