Menu

How long can you check out DVDs at your library

Our library's current policy is 21 days, with no renewals. And you can only have five checked out per card.

I was just in the library today and they have a sign up that says they are changing the policy at the end of the month. DVDs can only be checked out for 7 days, still no renewals.

I asked if they had an exemption for teachers and they said they weren't planning on it, as they need to have a quicker turnaround on DVDs. I can see that with new releases but - seven days?!

I could really go for 14 days. We use and return our items pretty promptly, but seven days seems so... quick!

I try to do my lesson plans and check out related library material a week in advance. Often the DVDs are checked out so I have to put in a hold/request then they all come in at once and we have five DVDs to watch. :tongue_smilie:

Does your library have limits on DVDs?

I live in a small town between two big cities.

One city allows 21 days, no renewals. The other allows 7 days, no renewals.

Obviously, I prefer the library that allows 21 days. 7 days really is too fast for me.

I usually use Netflix anyway, but sometimes I do have to use the library and prefer to have a little longer. I guess Netflix has spoiled me. ;)

Out of the one college and three public libraries I've had experience with, DVD checkout times have never been longer than 7 days. The college library only let people have them for 3 days. However, all of these libraries will let you renew the DVD if no one else has put it on hold. (I think the usual maximum number of renewals is 3.)

At least one of these libraries also had a limit of 5 DVDs checked out at a time. I'm not sure about the others because I never had a reason to check out more than one or two DVDs at one time.

Our library's current policy is 21 days, with no renewals. And you can only have five checked out per card.

I was just in the library today and they have a sign up that says they are changing the policy at the end of the month. DVDs can only be checked out for 7 days, still no renewals.

I asked if they had an exemption for teachers and they said they weren't planning on it, as they need to have a quicker turnaround on DVDs. I can see that with new releases but - seven days?!

I could really go for 14 days. We use and return our items pretty promptly, but seven days seems so... quick!

I try to do my lesson plans and check out related library material a week in advance. Often the DVDs are checked out so I have to put in a hold/request then they all come in at once and we have five DVDs to watch. :tongue_smilie:

Does your library have limits on DVDs?

Consider yourself LUCKY! We get 2 days and 2 movies per card!!!!

Seven days, can be renewed twice if there are no holds. And $1/day fine if late. :tongue_smilie:

Lisa

Same here. In comparison, regular books and audio books can be checked out for 21 days, 2 renewals if no holds, with a 10cent per day fine if late.

eta: there is a limit of 5 movies per card as well. Considering how frustrated I stayed when EVERY LAST ONE of the Magic School Bus Videos was always checked out before, I no longer complain.

Ours lets you keep them 7 days, no renewals, max of 2 DVD or VHS at a time, with late fees at $1 per movie per day. I've been on the wrong side of that policy exactly once, and was treated like a cheat for being late. :glare:

On the other hand, they have a "book sale" section where they sell donated books for $.10 apiece and VHS for $1. I've picked up quite a few books for school that way, including some old kids' classics sets from the '50s, plus a kids' tape or three. I guess it evens out.

ETA: We're allowed 2 per card, but only ONE card per family. They won't take my 18yo stepson off our account, and he moved out in August!! So, no kids' cards to get around the limit.

Edited by d.g.

2 days for new releases, 7 days for older movies, 3 weeks for vhs, some series. They have differing days out for "educational" movies but I haven't figured out the pattern yet.

Almost this exactly...don't know our vhs policy. 1 renewal.

Ours is 7-day check outs. You can renew older movies up to 6 times if nobody has a hold on them. No limit to how many older movies you can check out.

New movies are also a 7-day check out. But you are limited to 3 per library card and they will not renew at the end of the 7-days.

For DVDs that are seasons of TV shows (i.e., multiple discs), you get 3 weeks per check out.

Ours has 4 day on new release, 7 days on regular feature, TV or documentary. 2 renewals, unless someone has a hold (which can't happen on new releases BTW, so you can renew them from home...;)).

10 new releases, 10 reg. feature, 10 documentary or TV series.

So, in theory, you could have 30 movies out at a time. :confused:

$2 late fee. However, if you know your librarians, and they love you, they can cut you some slack.

We have an "educator card" that lets you check out tons o' stuff (EXCEPT movies) with automatic renewal (unless it is on hold) and NO LATE FEES. You can also lose several things a year w/o paying for them.

:001_huh:

Wow.

I'm shocked at how many have even shorter check-out times. :tongue_smilie:

I just wish they would offer a tiered system, like 2 or 7 days for new releases and a bit longer for, say, educational DVDs. We watch a number of science and history DVDs, but some are so long and take 2-3 evenings to get through.

7 days, 2 renewals if there is no hold. There are a small number of "browsing copies" (new releases) that are 7 days with no renewal possible. No limits on the number of DVDs checked out, just a limit of 100 items on any one card. Fines for DVDs are $1/day, as opposed to 10 cents/day for books and CDs.

7 days. Renewals are ok if no one has a hold on it.

Ours is the same.

I guess since many libraries nowadays are checking out more DVDs than books :glare: (ours does...isn't that insane??)...well, I guess that it isn't surprising they want their movies back sooner. Gotta keep circulating!

Well, we recently moved, but in our old library system you could only check out entertainment movies overnight. No renewals. Educational items went out for 2 weeks, TV series (or anything longer than 300 minutes) went out for 1 week. It was a huge system and I miss it soooooo much. So, so, so much. They had more movies than our current library has books/movies/CDs altogether. They had everything. Yesterday I made a list of books I wanted to read from the Book A Week thread and went to our new library. Out of the 8 or so books I had written down- they had 1. They owned one. It wasn't that they only had one checked in. They didn't even own them. Did I mention I really, really miss my old library?!?!?

Most dvd's are 7 days, unless marked otherwise. A season of a TV show and some other dvds are 3 weeks.

You can renew the videos up to two times, provided no one else has a hold placed on them.

If there is a limit on how many you can check out at one time, I haven't hit it yet. Last week I had no less than 9 movies checked out, possibly more.

The fines on overdue dvds are 10 cents a day.

They also have new release dvds that are a dollar a rental and due the the next day. These movies are a dollar a day for overdue fines.