Menu

A library system vent

I'm irked at my library. Dd12 has to do a research paper, 2-3 pages, for her Keystone class. The subject is Paul Revere. Our library has 3 juvenile books, some Easy and some Adult. The Juvenile books are checked out and not due back until Jan. 30th. She can't move forward with her LA lessons because you can't skip lessons. So she has no LA for at least a week, more if the people decide to keep them. They won't be able to renew because I have a hold on them.

Do we have an emoticon for a big old sigh?? I wish I lived in a larger library system.

I'm irked at my library. Dd12 has to do a research paper, 2-3 pages, for her Keystone class. The subject is Paul Revere. Our library has 3 juvenile books, some Easy and some Adult. The Juvenile books are checked out and not due back until Jan. 30th. She can't move forward with her LA lessons because you can't skip lessons. So she has no LA for at least a week, more if the people decide to keep them. They won't be able to renew because I have a hold on them.

Do we have an emoticon for a big old sigh?? I wish I lived in a larger library system.

Sigh, I sympathize. Maybe you could check out the adult Paul Revere titles and see if they are appropriate. Oddly enough, I've found many books that *I'd* label Children's or YA in the adult section of our library, including titles from our AO reading lists. It's worth a shot!

:grouphug:

:grouphug:

Google books has at least one free online book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OFcMAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Paul+revere&hl=en&ei=MQk-TdSFMoO8lQepnLzqBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

(Search for advanced search, and specify full view, you will get books that you can use the full book.)

I would check out the adult books, especially since your dd is 12. They may be better resources as it is. It doesn't really surprise me that the library doesn't have many more Paul Revere books, though -- he doesn't seem like he would be a very popular topic for the people who write the books.

The assignment says she must use at least 3 resources and only one can be an internet/web source. An encylopedia might be a good resource. We'll go look for that.

The adult book was very wordy and intimidating for her.

I'm still hoping the people will turn them in a bit early. :)

The assignment says she must use at least 3 resources and only one can be an internet/web source. An encylopedia might be a good resource.

The books on Google books are actual books somewhere, they are just virtual scans of a real book. I would look through those and use them and count them, there are probably more if you play around with the advanced book search feature, the book I linked to was only an example, there are tons more.

The books on Google books are actual books somewhere, they are just virtual scans of a real book. I would look through those and use them and count them, there are probably more if you play around with the advanced book search feature, the book I linked to was only an example, there are tons more.

:iagree: Books online are still books if you see them in book format. If they're put into more of a web page format, they are also still books but they'll be harder to cite properly.

If you are able to find things online which were originally published in print form, they can be cited as if you saw the actual print form instead of a scanned version of it online. :)

I know a PP said that books found online still count as print resources if you are viewing the scanned pages but I am not sure if that's true. I would check whichever guidelines the teacher asked them to follow. I would think that a book found through google books would have to include, at the end of the citation: ...Google Books. Web. [Date].

Have you tried Inter Library Loan? That might get resources faster and offer more.

Also-do you have a community college/university nearby? They often have resources-be sure to check the education department as they often have a library of children's books for the students to use. They may not give borrowing privileges but you can usually use materials on site.

Do magazines count as a resource? Maybe your library has a kids history magazine like Cobblestone?

Yes, but this is my 8th grader, so age of audience is important. Plus, our library is fairly small. I would be truly surprised if they could actually suggest something, but I'm going to ask today.

What about a local school library? Our district allows homeschoolers to utilize resources.

In GA, no school has to help and I am too scared to even try. They'd likely look at me like I have two heads if I even asked. And then I'd see them starting to make phone calls to figure out what they can or can not do. I do envy homeschoolers who have resources from the public school or government. I get nada but a suggestion they would get all the resources they need if they were enrolled in public school.

I know a PP said that books found online still count as print resources if you are viewing the scanned pages but I am not sure if that's true. I would check whichever guidelines the teacher asked them to follow. I would think that a book found through google books would have to include, at the end of the citation: ...Google Books. Web. [Date].

This worries me too. When ds14 did a resport on the Massacre at Wounded Knee, his instructor said we could only get one thing off the internet. He considered scanned articles to be internet related, so I imagine scanned books would receive no special treatment either. But of course if I could get the full bibliography information like the book was in my hand, that would make it look like we had the book, right?

Have you tried Inter Library Loan? That might get resources faster and offer more.

Also-do you have a community college/university nearby? They often have resources-be sure to check the education department as they often have a library of children's books for the students to use. They may not give borrowing privileges but you can usually use materials on site.

I never think about ILL. I always just browse my library's catalog to look for resources. I thought about buying some but I found several on Amazon and I couldn't tell if they would be helpful or not. I'm not library saavy!

I'm in school and have access to a library like that. I didn't think of looking at it. I'm going to school tonight. Hopefully I'll have some time to go browse.

All great ideas! We're going to the library to look at an encyclopedia and ask if they can suggest any history type magazines.

I actually go to another county's library as it's our weekly route when we go to piano lesson. Our state has state wide library loans too and I've had to use this more than once. I also try to plan ahead. This was especially important when I was teaching a literature analysis class which used books from the library.

I just did a quick Google search ("citing online books") and the top results tended to agree with you. However, they mentioned sources such as the "World Wide Web" and netLibrary. I don't know if netLibrary puts books online the same way as Google Books does (scanned copies).

Personally, I would consider scanned in books/magazine articles as print sources, because they look exactly the same, have the same page numbers, etc. So it is possible for me to accurately cite the information as if I looked at the hard copy, without having physically held the hard copy. I would *not* do this for anything that wasn't actually scanned in, however. YMMV. :)

This worries me too. When ds14 did a resport on the Massacre at Wounded Knee, his instructor said we could only get one thing off the internet. He considered scanned articles to be internet related, so I imagine scanned books would receive no special treatment either. But of course if I could get the full bibliography information like the book was in my hand, that would make it look like we had the book, right?

Yes, if you got all of the information offline (from a scanned copy) then you would be able to fool the teacher (for lack of a better term) into thinking you had a print copy of the book in your hands.

I am taking a research writing course this semester using MLA format. We have accessed many books, magazines, journals, and other print publications though an online database. It's called NC Live. We *always* have to cite in the way I previously metioned:

...Database. Web. [Date accessed].

I don't know how one would cite Google Books. I *think* it would be the same way. You could look at the Perdue OWL site for guidance.

Good luck!