Menu

Teaching Textbooks Algebra and Geometry

I have been debating (and posting) about geometry for next year, and I'm now leaning toward Teaching Textbooks, but I do have a question. It sounds like lots of kids end up just using the book and not using the video portion. If the textbook has the same examples and it's just a question of format, I would see that likely being the case for my kids. Is that in fact correct--that the video examples are the same as those presented in the book?

Second question: The video part that I think would be really helpful if I'm understanding this correctly is the step-by-step solutions DVD, where they can go through a problem that they missed and figure out exactly where they went wrong. Is there any way of getting just the solutions DVD without paying for the whole video course? Or is there a print version of the step-by-step solutions?

Thanks a bunch.

I believe you have to get all the CD's together. There is no print version of how to solve them either, it is all on CD. We have gone in spurts on watching the video. It does help to see the work on the screen step-by-step and I have recently noticed in pre-calc there is some differences from the text book. That may be true all the way through more than I noticed since I don't sit and listen to them all.

We used Teaching Textbooks for geometry, and my daughter found that she really understood it better if she watched the cds. The video examples ARE the same as in the book. But then the book provides practice problems and homework problems, and the videos will walk you through how to do do the practice problems, and the "answer" cds will walk you through how to do every practice problem.

My daughter balked at first at watching the cds. But eventually it became a habit and she sailed right through, doing well all along. She's a more auditory learner, though.

I bought the CD's to go with Algebra last year and also for Geometry this year. Our practice is to use the book only, but to pull out the CD's if needed. Last year, we used the CD's TWICE for algebra--both times, it was for word problems we couldn't set up correctly. So far this year, we haven't used the Geometry CD's at all. I've bought the Algebra 2 book for next year, and I didn't even bother to buy the CD's to go with it. For us, it's just not worth it. EK makes A's on the tests, so we're doing fine with the book and answer key only.

My daughter has used TT Pre-Algebra and is currently using TT Algebra. Last year she pulled out the CD's only once or twice. The last few weeks she has needed to use the CD's more often. She will use them only as needed if she is struggling with a problem. It has worked very well for us and I am planning on using it for Geometry next year.

~NMG

homeschooling in my 8th year with dd13, dd10, ds9, ds7