Menu

When your 5 yo DD cries over a broken lollipop, you....

Say, "Wow, I'm sorry your lollipop broke, I can see that makes you sad." Then distract onto something else. "Why don't we go over here and play blocks now?"

My DD is 11. Distraction doesn't work anymore. :glare:

ETA, I would acknowledge it once, then not give it anymore energy.

commisserate with her. Her feelings are as strong as an adult saddened and frustrated with something on their adult level.

I'm assuming another lollipop wasn't on hand. I'd put the pieces on a special plate so she can eat them one by one. That would have worked for my dds. My ds wouldn't have ever cared one iota. :D

...give her a hug, say "I'm sorry your lolly broke, sweets," and move on. If she (he, in my case) couldn't move on, I'd probably ask if she wanted to eat the pieces now, or save them in a baggie for later and read a story together on the couch. When one is 5, the surprise of a broken lollipop can be quite a disappointment.

Cat

DS2 is five and gets sad about broken candy. If I have more, I let him pick another, and then he gets to eat both. I did this with DS1 - now at 7, he is no longer upset about broken candy. I think he was over it by 6. It never felt like a big thing to him because he could have another if he wanted to. In a situation when I don't have another, I promise something for later.

To me the broken food thing is a cute childhood fixation with things being perfect and whole, that will pass. I remember how I felt when I was four and my brother (nine years older then me) broke a lovely banana I was about to bite into (because he wanted half). I started to wail, he repaired the banana with Elmer's glue and gave it back to me...and I was very happy with it ! :lol: Our mom intercepted it though !

Hard to know.

1. Is it perfectly edible still? I'd just say, "Bummer, but at least you can still eat it."

2. Is it dirty and I don't have another one? "Sorry, kiddo. I know that is disappointing. I'm proud of you for being a big kid about it." Or if they are not being a big kid about it, I'd likely add, "Time to buck up now." Hugs and we move on.

3. Is it dirty and I DO have another one, "Hey, it is your lucky day. I've got another one."

I rarely have lollipops around though so it would probably be #1 or #2. The only way I wouldn't give them another lollipop if I had one was if they had been warned and it was their own misbehavior that caused the broken lollipop.

Am I the only one who would just give the kid another lollipop? (Assuming that I had another one, and also assuming that the lollipop was dropped accidentally, not on purpose to see what would happen.)

No, you're not the only one. I'd give the kid another lollipop, too. :)

I'd toss the broken one in the trash.

Cat

I'd remind the child that there are people starving in the US and to be thankful that she has a treat at all.

Just kidding. :lol:

No, what I've said in the past is either "Both pieces taste the same, so you can still eat it" or (if its inedible), "That's too bad. Maybe you can get another next time." In our world the only lollies you get are either from trick or treating or the bank drive-up window.

It depends. I think that, from another thread that I posted about my 6 year old dd, our DD's may be similar LOL. My DD would be crying and whining over a broken lollipop. For her, I'd probably try to commiserate with her for a minute...but the whining would probably still continue so I'd send her to the bed until she thinks she can stop crying/whining. My 3 year old (almost 4) is easier to reason with. I could commiserate with her about it and then she'd be finished and could go on.

Depends on why it borke.

Breaking after hitting sibling in head with it, "Well....you are lucky you didn't break your sisters head! Throw the rest out and apologize!"

After dropping it while running even though I have said, "Stop running please," 15 times....."Well that is what you get for not listening! Lollipops only like to be eaten by good listeners!" :)

Accident break, "I am so sorry that your sucker broke." And a BIG HUG! :D

Depends on why it borke.

Breaking after hitting sibling in head with it, "Well....you are lucky you didn't break your sisters head! Throw the rest out and apologize!"

After dropping it while running even though I have said, "Stop running please," 15 times....."Well that is what you get for not listening! Lollipops only like to be eaten by good listeners!" :)

Accident break, "I am so sorry that your sucker broke." And a BIG HUG! :D

Yes to all this.

Adding only "ok, time to buck up and move on now" for either of the last 2 scenarios when the whining continues for more than another couple of minutes.

If it were MY kiddo, commiserate and move on. AnotherLinda's or MyBlueLobsters kiddo? Buy another half dozen and give them to the child immediately. I can get away with spoiling the others, mine are grown and I need baby fixes now and then.

Edited by Remudamom

"Bummer. Do the two broken halves each taste the same? Do they taste the same as they did when they were whole? Why did it break - did you lick it really thin in one spot or do you think it had a crack that you didn't see at first?"

Then probably, "What do you mean, you dropped it on the floor? Did the dog lick it? She did and she's the one who broke it?!? Why did you let Mommy lick it after the dog had already had some? I though it was kind of fuzzy around the edges...":glare:

Am I the only one who would just give the kid another lollipop? (Assuming that I had another one, and also assuming that the lollipop was dropped accidentally, not on purpose to see what would happen.)

Glad to see you and I are on the same page. After reading the first few responses, I was beginning to think I'm a wuss. If I had another to give her, I'd replace the broken one with a new one.

"Oh, I'm sorry that happened. I bet it still tastes good, though."

And then when she cries on and on, like my kids do, I will probably say, "Okay. That's it. It's time to move on and be pleasant or go somewhere else until you are done crying."

I'm really, really working on the overreaction and drama here. Not that I'm having too much luck. Sigh.

ETA: I'm assuming it's a lollipop that I didn't give her. I wouldn't buy another lollipop, but if I have a bunch of them, say a bag of dum dums or something, then yeah, I would give her another one. But I'm not going to go out and buy another lollipop.

Edited by Terabith

I would. Mostly just to shut the kid up. :tongue_smilie:

It really depends - on my mood, the circumstances of the tragic lollipop accident, and the "tone" of the crying.

I could accordingly replace the lollipop (and eat the broken one myself), sympathise and allow the traumatised little one to sit on my lap and eat the broken lollipop, or say "Tough - it broke, eat it or don't, your call." (The latter would usually be when efforts at sympathy have done little to resolve the problem.)

Nikki

Edited by nd293

Bummer! But ya know what? Some kids have never even tasted a lollipop. Or chocolate. And there will be many more lollipops in your life. So throw it out(unless the 10 second rule applies), dry your tears, and be glad it was just a silly lollipop and not something that is very special to you.

When my kids have a lollipop, it's because the dentist gave them a sugar free one or we got one from a little basket at a restaurant or something like that, so I don't usually have another one to offer. I would just say, "Oh man, that stinks!" I'm sure if they hadn't dropped the other piece they would eat it and be happy. In fact, I'm pretty sure this has happened before. I don't remember there being much whining or complaining about it.