Menu

Is it "okay" to ask a stranger for their old pant ies?

Guest RecumbentHeart

Guest RecumbentHeart

My initial internal response was in the negative. As I explain, due to how easily this forum comes up in internet searches, I'm going to edit a lot of words out of paranoia.

I had listed a whole bunch of pr efold d iapers on cra*gslist a couple weeks back and had quite a few people ask about them including a few asking what I'd like for the lot. One person, after getting a photo of them, said they wanted them and asked me if I'd ship them - I had totally forgotten to say pick-up only - I hate going to the trouble of mailing packages. So, I said that in my opinion the extra cost would make the d iapers cost more than their worth but I'd get a quote and then wrote back with a quote stating that was shipping plus handling. They agreed to the new price and told me to send a Pay Pal invoice.

Meanwhile, a few details. These emails were never signed with a name but still, although the email address was in a man's name (and his company name) I'm all the while assuming it's a woman using her husband's email. Secondly, in the correspondence they informed me they actually wanted them for cleaning their c hurch. They also asked for old ba by clothes, train ing pants, etc for same purpose. I said I'd look around and throw some stuff in.

Twenty four hours after the invoice I'd heard no word so I emailed letting them know I'd sent it and to let me know if they'd changed their mind and the response back .. well .. let's say it gave me pause - They said they were waiting on a che ck to clear and that they'd also take old cott on p antie s too if I had them because, apparently, they use them at home for dust ing rags and they had pulled the last pair out of their own rag bag that morning.

Honestly, it surprised me to get a notice from PP 4 days later saying they'd sent payment (an e che ck still waiting to clear) and in the note with payment they mentioned the pa nt ies again, restating that they'd used their last pair, and added ca mis to the list of things I could throw in if I had any.

Am I totally out there for feeling ... *not so comfortable* ... with this?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds believable to me. If you want to double check, call the church and ask if they're buying cotton rags for cleaning. Don't be home alone when they come to pick up (but that's true any time).

This is certainly odd, but this doesn't set off my wacko alarm.

I think it's weird. If the echeck clears, and is not something they can reverse, I would send only the diapers...track the package with delivery confirmation or some other thing, and not put a return address on the package. If the echeck does not clear within a certain amount of time, I would just cancel the transaction with this person.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Seems weird, but I don't even know what to think. I'm just kind of like: :confused: and then :ack2:

I should have used smilies instead of words to try to explain my response .. you did it much better. :D

They want soft cotton clothing. I doubt it is some kind of pantie fetish that started with wanting cloth diapers. If you don't want to put in any panties, tell them that all you have is diapers and maybe baby clothes if you have any.

That's what I'm wanting to think. And yes, that's what I was intending to do if the check clears.

Guest RecumbentHeart
The check clearing thing? Um. There's something fishy here. Scam. Stay away.

I thought perhaps they had received money from the church to cover the cost and were waiting on that but this is purely conjecture (is that the word I mean?) on my part.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I think it's weird. If the echeck clears, and is not something they can reverse, I would send only the diapers...track the package with delivery confirmation or some other thing, and not put a return address on the package. If the echeck does not clear within a certain amount of time, I would just cancel the transaction with this person.

They got my name with the PP invoice and know the city (craigs listing) and since we had a landline at one point our address is a mere Googling away so I was really hoping that it's a run of the mill, normal sort of sale/request that I'm just being paranoid about.

I thought perhaps they had received money from the church to cover the cost and were waiting on that but this is purely conjecture (is that the word I mean?) on my part.

This is probably right (let's hope anyway). In any case, like you said, only send the diapers. I mean, they *do* make good cleaning rags. But no way would I send someone my old underwear. That's just icky.

Unfortunately, the diapering community has had a lot of hits from people with fetishes. I understand using your's or your husband's old t-shirts or undies as dust rags (though personally, undies get pitched in the trash), but not someone else's. I would steer clear of such requests.

This is high on my creep-o-meter, and here's why: Even if you think there's nothing better for polishing church pews than grandma's old britches, why would you want to order them off cra*gs and pay shipping? Why not just head over to Goodwill and get gobs of similar things for $15? Even using prefold dipes as cleaning rags doesn't make sense to me if you had to purchase them - only if they had done their job for the original purpose and now were only worthwhile as cleaning cloths.

Yeah...there's a creep factor in this for me, but I wig out easily.

It was my turn to clean the church a few weeks ago and when I put my hand in the rag bag my hand landed on a pair of guys fruit of the loom briefs. I pulled the bag out of the closet to get a better look and there were at least 5 used, but not stained, guys briefs :lol: I have to say, they made the best dust rags. Not sure why :confused:

These two posts really sum up what I find creepy about the whole deal.

Honestly I think if it was legit they would be asking for old cotton Tshirts (including men's) too. If they are just after di ap ers, ca mi s, and pa nt ies, I think it's weird. Just sayin'.

This is high on my creep-o-meter, and here's why: Even if you think there's nothing better for polishing church pews than grandma's old britches, why would you want to order them off cra*gs and pay shipping? Why not just head over to Goodwill and get gobs of similar things for $15? Even using prefold dipes as cleaning rags doesn't make sense to me if you had to purchase them - only if they had done their job for the original purpose and now were only worthwhile as cleaning cloths.

Yeah...there's a creep factor in this for me, but I wig out easily.

Or since they're a church why aren't they just asking parishoners to donate old soft cotton clothing? Seems like you could get tons of old dusting rags that way. Although there is just something a bit strange about the thought that our priest might grab into the rag bag to clean something up and pull out a pair of my underroos.

I've met some very very very (I cannot use enough verys) earthy/frugal people who would probably do something like this. They even reuse disposable diapers that are only peed in to blow their nose.

What?

It was my turn to clean the church a few weeks ago and when I put my hand in the rag bag my hand landed on a pair of guys fruit of the loom briefs. I pulled the bag out of the closet to get a better look and there were at least 5 used, but not stained, guys briefs :lol

WHAT?

Ew. That is all.

They want soft cotton clothing. I doubt it is some kind of pantie fetish that started with wanting cloth diapers. If you don't want to put in any panties, tell them that all you have is diapers and maybe baby clothes if you have any.

I've met some of these people. Based solely on what he has requested, I don't doubt it. There are clues: He didn't ask for the obvious--old towels, tee shirts and socks.

I had an adult man approach me for clo th dia p ers (back when I had a business making them), and it turned out his only child was a teenager. I had my suspicions before then even. I'll leave the rest up to your imagination (He, unfortunately, did not...). He also wanted me to make him some booties. :ack2:

ETA: And no, he was not incontinent...

Edited by darlasowders

They are probably in dire straights and looking for stuff for their kids-and goodwill doesn't sell u ndies.

I don't know what to think-I've never been *that* poor.

I don't think that's true - if so, why would one be looking things up on cra*gs? Honestly, growing up, we were pretty close to *that* poor, but (if there was such a thing) my mom wouldn't have been looking on a website to purchase these items. You could do better at Walmart, on clearance, than paying for shipping on dipes and asking people to throw in drawers if they have any.

Guest RecumbentHeart

To clarify, the p anties were for personal dusting - the baby stuff was for church cleaning. (i posted and then reread my clarification and it cracked me up ... But really, thats what they communicated - pan ties for home dusting) I had thought the extras were reasonable to ask for since I was already sending a box so I hadnt thought too much of that part.

Darla - just when I was starting to think all was well, you have freaked me out more than ever. lol

I was hesitant enough to give up the precious d iapers for cleaning rags since most aren't worn out at all but with that thought from Darla ....

Edited by RecumbentHeart

Guest RecumbentHeart

:svengo:

I found out about Ex's diaper fetish right after I served him with divorce papers. Believe me, its a creepy world you don't want to know about. :blink:

Guest RecumbentHeart
I don't think that's true - if so, why would one be looking things up on cra*gs? Honestly, growing up, we were pretty close to *that* poor, but (if there was such a thing) my mom wouldn't have been looking on a website to purchase these items. You could do better at Walmart, on clearance, than paying for shipping on dipes and asking people to throw in drawers if they have any.

I too doubt the dire straights - one in dire straights doesn't pay $125 for diapers, even if it's a decent deal (debatable with the cost of the shipping). Also, they straight up asked for old stuff when I would have totally give them good stuff if they'd asked. I have seen people post requests on Cra*gs before for the whole works and see plenty of people listing their baby stuff on there but seriously ... ordering from another state?? Yeah .. I'm not thinking dire straights.

Oh, and they didn't specify children's panties. I was assuming *mine* since they asked for c amis too.:001_huh:

Edited by RecumbentHeart

Guest RecumbentHeart
Totally off topic here but I gotta say I just LOVE this board. :001_wub: Just when I thought I had read all available topics on the general board... :lurk5:

Hehehe

This thread was supposed to help ease my mind but now I'm really torn ... Gah! It's $125 I could really use :tongue_smilie:

Big, honking red flags are going up on my creep-o-meter, too.

I know you could use the money, but I don't think I'd want those people seeing my return address on the package. They might be a lot weirder than you think, and I wouldn't want them showing up at my house. :eek:

And SolaMichella -- I'm so sorry you had to find out something so bizarre. I'm sure it really messed with your head to think you were once attracted to the guy. :ack2: There are some things that are better left unknown -- unless, of course, the info resulted in a much more favorable divorce settlement for you. ;)

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

As I was thinking about this, I was wondering if your blog was public enough (where you advertised them or maybe through email communication) that they saw it, and then they would also have a picture to go along with the underwear.

You could sell the diapers (you want the money anyway), but definitely don't include your return address, and don't include any underwear.

IF you get the money withing the next 24 hours, send him the diapers. Nothing more. Use General Delivery at your post office for a return address or just use his address as both return and sending.

IF you don't get the money within the next 24 hours, send him a message stating that you are sorry, but you cannot wait any longer for payment. If by some chance you get money within a couple days after than then send it back as a money order.

Guest RecumbentHeart

*shuddering*

I don't think my blog could easily be linked to me ... Except that the name is the same as my PP email addy .... I'm rethinking the photos on it. My Internet paranoia has just been upped.

This really is the best thread I've read in the past couple of days - I love it! Am I weird or just easily amused?

It does remind me of some friends who were visiting us last summer. They're from Australia and had been backpacking around the world for 3 months and we were the final stop before heading home. On the last day of their visit, the mother came into the living room where we were all sitting and asked me if I needed a nice dustrag. Her 15-year-old son had a worn-out pair of undies that she hated to throw away when it could make a wonderful dusting rag. I declined (while laughing), and said I was pretty well-stocked in the rag department. Her son was sitting there and about died! He and his dad both gave her all kinds of trouble, the son saying something like, "maybe I don't want them dusting their furniture with my underwear!". The dad saying, "WHAT are you THINKING?!". We had a great laugh. And to this day I wish I'd kept them for my boys to use when dusting - it would definitely add some humor to that job, and it would be the most unusual souvenir from Australia.

This really is the best thread I've read in the past couple of days - I love it! Am I weird or just easily amused?

It does remind me of some friends who were visiting us last summer. They're from Australia and had been backpacking around the world for 3 months and we were the final stop before heading home. On the last day of their visit, the mother came into the living room where we were all sitting and asked me if I needed a nice dustrag. Her 15-year-old son had a worn-out pair of undies that she hated to throw away when it could make a wonderful dusting rag. I declined (while laughing), and said I was pretty well-stocked in the rag department. Her son was sitting there and about died! He and his dad both gave her all kinds of trouble, the son saying something like, "maybe I don't want them dusting their furniture with my underwear!". The dad saying, "WHAT are you THINKING?!". We had a great laugh. And to this day I wish I'd kept them for my boys to use when dusting - it would definitely add some humor to that job, and it would be the most unusual souvenir from Australia.

:lol::lol::lol:

just like to clarify that most Aussies don't do this.

I for one don't dust at all, with undies or without!

I think asking someone for their used panties is weird. I know some people use them for rags.But asking for other peoples' ? Strange. My kids thought it was hilarious once when my husband was using a pair of his own old cotton underwear as a rag. But he wouldn't have used mine that way. Really, there's just not much fabric to a woman's pair of underwear. My husbands, on the other hand, are much heavier and bigger. But still, the elastic does get in the way. I haven't seen my husband using his underwear as rags lately. Maybe the kids laughed at him about it so much and poked so much fun at him he decided it wasn't worth it and so they can just go directly into the garbage. :lol:

No way would I send my used under pants to a stranger. :001_huh: I would cut off communication from someone asking for them.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Amazing the things you learn on this board.

A few years ago, we moved into a rental house that the owners had quickly moved out of. I found many left behind items and collected them for our landlord- including a big pile of worn out men's underwear on the top of a cabinet. I was very :001_huh: and :confused:, thinking "why would someone toss their worn out underwear on top of a cabinet, instead of in the trash?" When our landlord came to pick up the box of their left behind belongings, she was embarrassed to see the underwear there and told me her husband would toss them up there to use as dusting rags. I remember thinking "OK weirdos." :lol:Now I come to find out this is a real thing- people value worn out underwear as dustrags. Whodathunkit? :lol:

As far as OP goes... if you are selling diapers worth $125, and someone plans to use them as rags- something is definitely off there. They can buy a stack of the old fashioned flats, at Babies R Us for a fraction of that. Because of the creepout factor, I'd probably go ahead and cancel the transaction and relist them on Diaperswappers. Or if you do decide to ship just the diapers, definitely use delivery confirmation and only ship to a confirmed address through Paypal. Otherwise, they could file a claim later saying they didn't get them and you'll be out the money and the diapers.