Menu

Reading Pathways

mom4him

I am using this with my almost 5 year old. Done orally, it takes 5-10 minutes a day. We work on the pyramids two or three days a week. I usually have my son read one new pyramid and one that he has seen before. His fluency and willingness to sound out unfamiliar words has greatly improved. (He is a self-taught reader who tends to want to sight read.) On the days that we do not use Reading Pathways, I have him read a few pages from another book.

Please note that we are not doing the written work, my son's reading ability far exceeds his writing ability.

Has any one used this and if so what was the age of the child, how did you like it, did you see improvement in your dc, how long every day did it take?

Sandy, I have this. I am going to use it for the boys when they are a bit older but it can be used for any age that needs it. My 6 year old is NOT ready for this LOL. It is wonderful! It goes from the basic CVC words through 4 syllable words (i think its 4... I am guessing with out getting the book out to see) I also have the game word works. You should check that out as well. Havent we said we have to get together and look at out stuff LOL.

Thanks, ladies.

Good to know that it will fit a child a bit older. We are moving through the R&S Developing Better Reading and I don't want to add anything more right now but was thinking of something when he finishes that.

YES, we do need to get together wy_kid_wrangler04.:D

How is MFW going?

YES, we do need to get together wy_kid_wrangler04.:D

How is MFW going?

Its going VERY well!!! I am so excited to start ECC next year. I am like a kid at Christmas thinking about it! I really think this is what our homeschool needed. I had so much other stuff going on it was way to much for my poor dc. This is going to give me what I need (including taking time for art projects and such) without being to much. :D

Its going VERY well!!! I am so excited to start ECC next year. I am like a kid at Christmas thinking about it! I really think this is what our homeschool needed. I had so much other stuff going on it was way to much for my poor dc. This is going to give me what I need (including taking time for art projects and such) without being to much. :D

I am so glad to hear that. We are absolutely loving ECC. This is the first time since we have started school and I mean from our beginning, that we have had this much time. I was resting for a bit this afternoon(I had been reading to the kids and was going to sleep.:blushing:) I got up and before I had a chance to get out to the living room both of the kids in unison asked if I was ready to read again.:hurray: I did make it through our Bible readings this morning without crying though.:001_huh:

I did RP with DD when she was around 4yo. For 15-20min. every morning (and depending on her attention span) we did Phonics Pathway. I would use RP as a supplement to whatever new lesson she was learning. The pyramids were a lot more fun than the exercises in PP. We didn't finish RP because at 4.5yo, dd can only do the short vowels. So we'll pick it up again when shes ready for the long vowels.

Overall great book

We are doing Phonics Pathways right now and are a bit more than halfway through and DD (5.5 yo and doing a very simple Kindy this year) is reading well. She can read the CLP K Nature reader and Frog and Toad smoothly for example.

I got Reading Pathways from the library (ILL - ours doesn't have it and won't get it) to see what it is like and I think it would be a good reinforcement for her. I'm hunting for it used for next year.

Has any one used this and if so what was the age of the child, how did you like it, did you see improvement in your dc, how long every day did it take?

I used it with my oldest son when he was around 5. I think we used it about 10 minutes a day at the most and I did see improvement. I liked it. I liked this book even better though:

Prescription for Reading (It used to be called Dr. Christman's Learn to Read Book)