Menu

6yo reading at 3rd Grade Level. Help.

My son is most definitely reading at a third grade level. How do I know? All the books he reads with interest, fluency, and comprehension are listed as 3rd grade level: Magic Tree House, Geronimo Stilton, The Boxcar Children series, etc.

My plan was to have him do Sonlight's Core K as his sister is doing Core 5 this year and they complement each other well. The challenge is that he gets through his work in less than two hours, so then what am I supposed to do with him?

I'm wondering where I can find reading level appropriate books for him that might complement what his sister is studying. Currently we're in the Pacific Islands, getting ready to move on to Australia/New Zealand.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

From what I remember, and I checked with Lexile to be sure, Magic Treehouse are at an average reading level of 1st or 2nd grade.

Geronimo Stilton have an average Lexile of 500 which puts them right in the 2nd grade range as well.

Same thing again with The Bocxcar Children...average range of 400 - 600, which is 2nd/3rd grade level.

I'd check into your local library for books that are at his level about specific topics. You could ask your librarian or search within the library database (many libraries even offer this service directly from their website so you can search and order books in from home).

There are loads of great fiction books in the reading level that will be perfect for his age. Do a quick search here and you should come up with some fantastic suggestions!

I haven't done Sonlight K, but the advanced readers for 1&2 have been pretty good for my DD. Since the early cores don't have the literature correlated to the history, you might want to check the Core 1 selections, and maybe do the intermediate now (which I think are about Boxcar Children level), and plan on the advanced when you get to core 1.

As far as the "Then what do I do with him", my DD does a lot of crafts, Scratch programming, drawing and lego building. School, even with multiple languages, simply doesn't take more than about 2 hours, and at age 6, that's all she can handle.

Edited by Dmmetler2

I think there is a Magic Treehouse dealing with that area of the world. I know there is a Magic School Bus Chapter Book that is about Australia- Expedition Down Under. There is an Usborne famous Lives biography of Captain Cook for children. There are lots of quality picture books that would be interesting for him and at his reading level. Many picture books will have a higher reading level than things like Magic Treehouse. We have The Last Princess: The Story of Princess Ka’iulani of Hawai’I which has a lexile of 1040.

Another one, you could read it with him, would be 21 Balloons. We own this book but I have not let 6 yo dd read it because of the phrase "negro clown" used in the book. We just haven't talked about that sort of thing yet. But it is exciting, fantastic, quality fiction.

From what I remember, and I checked with Lexile to be sure, Magic Treehouse are at an average reading level of 1st or 2nd grade.

Geronimo Stilton have an average Lexile of 500 which puts them right in the 2nd grade range as well.

Same thing again with The Bocxcar Children...average range of 400 - 600, which is 2nd/3rd grade level.

I'd check into your local library for books that are at his level about specific topics. You could ask your librarian or search within the library database (many libraries even offer this service directly from their website so you can search and order books in from home).

There are loads of great fiction books in the reading level that will be perfect for his age. Do a quick search here and you should come up with some fantastic suggestions!

Where did you come up with those levels? Everything I have seen and read puts them at a 3rd grade level like the op said. Most 1st graders are barely starting to read no way could they be reading a novel.

Magic Treehouse vary and get harder as the series progresses. Dawn of the Dinosaurs is something like a 1.9, right at the end of 1st/beginning of 2nd. But by the time you get into the Merlin Missions, most of them are a 3.2-3.5. I personally think it's because Mary Pope Osborne was told to hit a lexile level at the beginning of the series, and chopped her sentences apart to keep the level low, while once she was well known, she stopped trying, because the later books really don't seem any more difficult than the earlier ones.

Regardless of Lexile, most children aren't ready for Magic Treehouse at the end of 1st if they're typical readers. Late 2nd/early 3rd is more common.

Getting through his work in less than two hours per day is quite normal. Is his output equal to his input? I would simply have the more advanced books on the side until you see how he doest with everything else.

There are plenty of great series for 3rd grade reading levels. I no longer remember what my dc read for that level, because it's getting a bit blurred now (my baby is 10). I'd remember if it were ds, but hereading went from a grade behind to 4-5 grades ahead within 2 months when he was over 7, and ghen moved into reading books about airplanes. It took him a long time to become interested in reading fiction for fun, and even now there are few fiction books he enjoys. I just asked my dd's, but then went into girl books and they don't remember the exact orders of everything, either.

There is a helpful book called Reading Strands which has lists of award winning books with grade levels in it. It's related to the Writing Strands books, but they don't go together. I used that book for ds for a while, too, particularly before and while he caught up and surged ahead. There are plenty of picture books with grade 4 and up reading levels, too.

Also, there is nothing wrong with your younger reader continuing to read books he enjoys at the same level for fun. Mine have all done this, and all are still well ahead of their age peers in reading ability and comprehension. In fact, my dd's sometimes read books for younger dc if they think they are fun. Thus, my 12 yo read the Spy Mice book ds read (can't remember the reading level of that book.) Ds likes pictures, so he's reading the Leviathan series (which is older & harder than 2nd/3rd grade level and much longer than Boxcar books.) I only concern myself with reading level for school related reading.

Edited by Karin

My dd7 is an advanced reader. We abandoned a "reading" program once she was off and reading. To get to "reading" for our school year, I just choose 9-12 books (classics) at her reading level, assign reading time for these books and have her write up a summary of each days readings. She has a journal type notebook which she writes these summaries. She includes pictures as well. We have an on going discussion of all her books. Since I have chosen these books, I am familiar with the story so I can ask her questions to ensure comprehension or facilitate critical thinking. If a child is not comprehending the material, you will know for they will simply say "I don't understand this." Some books' will be too mature, even though they are able "read" it, they will not be able to appreciate the material/subject. Also advanced readers will often jump in year levels within months so when choosing assigned books stretch these levels beyond their current level. In your case, choose books from 3-6th grade. Additionally, advanced readers also like "fluff" reading. Science or history magazines are fun reads as well.

Where did you come up with those levels? Everything I have seen and read puts them at a 3rd grade level like the op said. Most 1st graders are barely starting to read no way could they be reading a novel.

Here is a lexile-to-grade correspondence chart. Here is the place (book search function) where you can enter the book information and generate the lexile level.

Here is a lexile-to-grade correspondence chart. Here is the place (book search function) where you can enter the book information and generate the lexile level.

Thanks for the links.:001_smile:

There's a big range in Lexile levels per grade-How to train your dragon is listed as being a Lexile 990L, which according to the chart is typical of anywhere from 6th-12th grade. I'll believe 6th.

This is good to know.:001_smile:

I started looking at the Lexile website, too. We haven't done standardized testing yet, so I don't have an independent assessment of their Lexile reading level. I can't quite figure out how to assess it without that, other than sorta guessing. Any suggestions?

I started looking at the Lexile website, too. We haven't done standardized testing yet, so I don't have an independent assessment of their Lexile reading level. I can't quite figure out how to assess it without that, other than sorta guessing. Any suggestions?

There is a set of books published by Spalding that are brief passages to read and then answer questions in a timed situation. This is one way to approximate grade level. The link is here. There are other places you can purchase these books, such as Rainbow Resource, but they are newer versions than the ones sold by Spalding and have removed many of the more difficult/inferential questions. For that reason, many people purchase the books directly from Spalding.

printed on the back of the book. most magic treehouse are 2nd grade level.

Magic Treehouse books are chapter books, but they aren't novels, at least not what I understand novels to be. Children's novels start at a higher reading level. My 15 yo said that Boxcar Children books are also chapter books but not novels, and she has read far more of them than I have :). I read one or two of them aloud, perhaps three. Even in adult fiction stories are classified as short story, novellette, novella, and finally novel. I haven't seen all of those terms applied to children's books, though.

While reading at a 2nd or 3rd grade level when starting first grade is accellerated based on average, it's not necessarily so far ahead that your dc will be bored doing most first grade curricula. As I mentioned, there are many picture books at that level, and they go up to about 5th grade reading level because they are designed for parents to read them to their dc. This is why I found both Reading Strands and my public library so helpful. In addtion, there are some authors, such as Cynthia Rylant, who have written books at progressively higher levels, from beginners through ages 9-12. http://childrensbooks.about.com/cs/authorsillustrato/a/cynthiarylant.htm

Edited by Karin

I look on Sonlight, Ambleside Online, and Veritas Press for suggestions. He is obviously past grade level in what they suggest he read but have him read the read aloud books (the ones YOU are supposed to read to him) - that way, they will still be interesting (not over his head) but they will be challenging as well.

I would just check lots of books out a the library on the topics you are studying and let him have at it. If they are too hard he will put them down, or if there is sufficient interest he will plow through. I would not force it but focus on the enjoyment of reading. If he loves reading then you are doing a great job. My yo is similar and I find that using this approach she spends hours a day reading and retains a tremendous amount.

Edited by kathkath
plural hours

I would just check lots of books out a the library on the topics you are studying and let him have at it. If they are too hard he will put them down, or if there is sufficient interest he will plow through. I would not force it but focus on the enjoyment of reading. If he loves reading then you are doing a great job. My yo is similar and I find that using this approach she spends hours a day reading and retains a tremendous amount.

This is what we do/have done.

Thanks, but Magic Tree house is 2nd - 3rd grade ish not 1st! Anyway another good site is http://schools.roundrockisd.org/bkldprairie/Library/ar/arlist-title-a.htm much easier to use. They list those books as 3rd grade mostly.

Just wanted to back up the op

Magic Treehouse vary and get harder as the series progresses. Dawn of the Dinosaurs is something like a 1.9, right at the end of 1st/beginning of 2nd. But by the time you get into the Merlin Missions, most of them are a 3.2-3.5. I personally think it's because Mary Pope Osborne was told to hit a lexile level at the beginning of the series, and chopped her sentences apart to keep the level low, while once she was well known, she stopped trying, because the later books really don't seem any more difficult than the earlier ones.

Regardless of Lexile, most children aren't ready for Magic Treehouse at the end of 1st if they're typical readers. Late 2nd/early 3rd is more common.

:iagree: My 7 year old started reading MTH at the end of 1st grade and he is considered an advanced reader for his age (Lexile level was 800 last fall when he took the Stanford Achievement test and reading age was 13). MTH does get harder as the series goes along. He is on book 30-something right now and has read every single book cover to cover in his free time, in order. Boxcar Children is more difficult than MTH - more 3rd grade level, IMO.

For the OP: I would definitely hesitate to do Kindergarten level with a child who is reading that well. We tried it here and it bombed, big time. We use HOD but we bump his DITHR books up to his reading level and then still use the grade 2/3 workbook. While my ds is capable of reading/understanding higher level books, he is not always capable of writing about them and discussing them they way DITHR wants to discuss them. He tends to be advanced in some skills and not in others. Writing is not his strong point, so I use some curricula that is above his writing level and he dictates to me while I write his answers. I figure, if he is capable of that kind of understand, why hold him back?

Edited by Tree House Academy

Here are the titles and Lexile ratings for the first ten books in the MTH series.

Dinosaurs before Dark - 240

The Knight at Dawn - 310

Mummies in the Morning - 230

Pirates Past Noon - 290

Night of the Ninjas - 280

Afternoon on the Amazon - 290

Sunset of the Sabertooth - 310

Midnight on the Moon - 320

Dolphins at Daybreak - 350

Ghost Town at Sundown - 350

Here is the Lexile level map..

http://www.lexile.com/m/uploads/maps/Lexile-Map.pdf

First grade lexile ratings range from 200 to about 370.

The very bottom for the second grade lexile ratings tier is 360.

This corresponds with my own personal experience. We don't live in a particularly high area for intellectual ability and the average student is reading MTH books by the end of first grade at the latest.

Not trying to nitpick here...but sorry, MTH books are not what the average 2nd to 3rd grader is reading. They may be reading them, but at that point they should have the ability to read more difficult text than a very beginner chapter book such as MTH.

I would agree that the average 2nd/3rd grader is reading MTH. I think there is a big difference between a chapter book and a picture book to a child. For instance, MTH books are rated between 250-350 ish but "Fox in Sox" is rated at 500L. Being able to stick with a long story, over periods of chapters, requires a maturity level worth noting. OP I wouldn't worry so much about the levels/grade your child is reading at but rather focus on challenging her/him.

He finishes his schoolwork in 2 hours? Let him go play. Encourage his free reading at his level, and make sure his output (writing assignments, etc.) are challenging but not too much so. 2 hours is plenty of seatwork for a 6 yo.

My first grader loves Magic Treehouse, Sarah Plain and Tall, Junie B jones, the Little House Books and there are lots others above level in our library's Easy Reader Chapter book section. I have her doing LLAL second grade level and while they are a bit easy they are manageable sizes. She will move on to the 3rd grade level shortly. It's nice for me b/c I can have her work side by side with her 5th grade sister in most subjects:)

For the OP: I would definitely hesitate to do Kindergarten level with a child who is reading that well. We tried it here and it bombed, big time.

:iagree: I'd forgotten that the OP wanted to do K. I'd do first grade, at least for math, science, etc, especially at 6. However, I wouldn't expect it to take more than 2 hours most days, not including field trips, lessons, extracurricular activites, etc. You may end up racing through it in a few months, or find it too easy, but I wouldn't do K.

I just wanted to say that Lexile scores are not the be-all end-all. I'd take them with a grain of salt. Various reading level indexes have been used over the years (I'm especially thinking of Fry's Readability Index). Interestingly, some books my kids have read have scored higher in Lexile than what is typically accepted as their "reading level" and others have scored lower.

My son is most definitely reading at a third grade level. How do I know? All the books he reads with interest, fluency, and comprehension are listed as 3rd grade level: Magic Tree House, Geronimo Stilton, The Boxcar Children series, etc.

My plan was to have him do Sonlight's Core K as his sister is doing Core 5 this year and they complement each other well. The challenge is that he gets through his work in less than two hours, so then what am I supposed to do with him?

I'm wondering where I can find reading level appropriate books for him that might complement what his sister is studying. Currently we're in the Pacific Islands, getting ready to move on to Australia/New Zealand.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I agree with the others that 2 hrs is plenty for a 6yo. I just finished Core K with my 6yo and it was a great fit. We started Core 1 today. My 6yo is on a similar reading level as yours. He can read pretty much whatever he wants but chooses to read Boxcar Children-type books for fun reading. It sounds like SL Readers 2 Adv would be perfect for your ds. We're going through Readers 2 Int right now and they are very easy. Neither one of us mind and he enjoys the stories so we'll stick with it til he finishes. He reads a lot so it isn't a subject I'm too concerned about. When choosing fun/independent reading, I usually hit up the 1000 good books list, Honey for a Child's Heart, or Jim Treleases RA Handbook for ideas.

Are you on the SL forums? There's got to be a list in the Core 5 forum with book ideas for younger dc.

• 1 month later...

He is still young. When my son was the same age we went to the library and he went through all of the series books (he insisted on reading everything in order.) If he enjoys them the old Hardy Boys books were what my son started reading. Also the Indian in the Cupboard series. Ask your librarian if you get stuck too.

Your child's 6. I don't think Sonlight K is appropriate. That said, he's reading average low second grade books. Choose the advanced readers package with Sonlight for first grade next year, and he'll be fine. They won't be too easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input. A side note on Sonlight K (for those that are unfamiliar with how it works) the number or letter designation does not always correspond to grade level. That being said, yes, much of it IS too easy for my son, as I did kindergarten with him last year. This past fall, when my kids did a brief stint at the ps, he was in 1st grade and then put in a 'gifted cluster' classroom (still 1st grade but moving at a more rapid rate than the 'norm') and was still ahead of his peers. Pretty much every subject for him, except handwriting!, is at least a second grade level, with spelling ability even higher than that! And as for Scripture, he may be pre-seminary at this point! :D

Can someone explain how those lexile scores and reading level points work? Brand new homeschooler here and I'm very confused!

My DD is currently 3/4 of the way through Lemony Snickets 'The Bad Beginning' - which has a 6.4 reading level and 4 points? And a 1010L lexile? I have almost no idea what any of that means...

From what I can gather (from putting in details of recent books my DD has read) she's reading about an age 8-9+ level, which is about grade 3-4 ish.

Anyway, we do a pretty gentle LA program because I want to cover the basics of grammar and writing as well as reading. The books in this program are far below her reading level, but she still enjoys them - they are just a short part of the lesson. We assign her challenging novels to read seperately from her LA 'school' stuff.