Menu

natural approach to depression?

A friend of my daughter has an older sister who seems depressed. She lethargic, uncaring of her appearance at times, I dont' know . . . other stuff I guess.

The mom has gone beyond thinking it's just adolescent angst and wants to do some things around the house and as a part of their lifestyle to help her out of a slump. She asked me, I think b/c I definately lean toward natural. I dont' know, though. In a google search, it's really hard to know what's reliable information.

I told her I'd ask around and recommended, dragging if neccessary, getting her out of the house a bit and into the sun and exercise, if possible. I also advised her to consider professional help if she thougth it was serious. She seems to think it's just some kind of slump. The girl has gotten in a rut and can't shake it.

So, any help?

There are so many 'homeopathic' and 'naturopathic' remedies out there for depressions (and anxiety--which is often related).

I have a dd who suffers with this. A simple blood test can often point towards a solution.

In my dd's case it was her thyroid for the first few years and now it is her adrenals.

DD does take a prescription for her thyroid-- but she uses nautral supplements for her adrenal support.

5HTP has been WONDERFUL for dd... so has acupuncture.

My dd's Dr is a MD as well as a naturopath-- so that helps.

--

Some 'natural' remedies can be HARMFUL if taken long term (like St Johns Wart) so I caution you to blindly suggest herbal remedies to your friend... again the blood tests were inexpensive (although the supplements are not!).

Consumer Reports cited a study that showed the St. John's Wort can be as effective as Paxil. Maybe you can find it by googling?

Oh, I did recommend the St. John's Wort but I didn't know that about Consumer Reports.

She asked me if the tea would be equally effective if it were iced tea. She said she didn't think her daughter would drink it hot. I blush to say that I didn't know the answer. I always drink hot tea, even (especially?)medicinal teas. Somehow even the hot seems healing. But as far as the St. John's Wort, is iced fine?

BOOKS THAT I LOVE

Positive Thinking Every Day by Norman Vincent Peale

Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl – if I could, I would give a copy of this to almost every friend and acquaintance

One book that may be of help. Never read them, but have heard very good things about them.

Natural Prozac by Joe C. Robertson

SUPPLEMENTS

A good fish oil – such as Carlson’s - A recent large study found that rates of depression were nearly 30% lower in people who regularly take fish oil, probably because of the healthy omega -3 fatty acids it contains.

Vitamin D3 – Mood swings, depression, and bipolar disorders are all linked to a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps normalize brain function. Take 2000-5000 IU daily.

St. John’s Wort – 300-1000 mg

To raise serotonin levels

Help relieve chronic insomnia

Help relieve mild depression – especially if you’re healthy and not taking other medications.

Because this herb can sensitize the skin to sunlight, take it in the evening after the sun has set.

At least 400 mg Magnesium daily – depression and anxiety are symptoms of a magnesium deficiency

Magnesium is crucial for the synthesis of serotonin and other neurotransmitters. Magnesium is usually lacking in those with depression. In fact, one study reported “rapid recovery from major depression” after treatment with magnesium, and found that magnesium helped relieve the anxiety and insomnia often associated with depression.

Many women have an undiagnosed magnesium deficiency ,which can contribute to anxiety.

Some say to take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium.

For most people on a healthy diet, 500 mg of each supplement should be enough.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (see above) – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

If you can, add 100 mg of magnesium to your nutritional supplements, and increase it by 100 mg every few days until your stools are soft, but not uncomfortably loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

Some say to not take magnesium with calcium - I think that that is preferable.

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

GABA CALM – take sublingually before bedtime or a few hours before sleeping

100-500 mg daily

Try to avoid eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before and after taking this

YOU LACK GABA IF YOU:

• Frequently experience back pain or muscle tension

• Worry excessively

• Often feel nervous, jumpy, or anxious

• Sleep problems

• Stress-related physical symptoms: headaches, IBS, and muscle aches

• Elevated cortisol levels which can lead to belly fat

• Are an emotional eater

GABA is the brain’s natural calming agent.

• Helps de-stress

• Relaxes muscles

• Suppresses cravings and helps curb emotional eating.

• Anti-depressant

• Helpful for day-to-day anxiety

5-HTP

Helps with:

• Sleep problems – quality and duration

• Emotional eating and evening cravings – helps suppress appetite

• Anxiety and depression as it increases serotonin levels

• Melatonin production

• Serotonin production

Best if taken sublingually - opening the capsule and pouring the contents on your tongue.

Try to avoid eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before and after taking it.

No more than about 3 capsules a day – can safely take up to 400 mg per day – although most need less.

Loses its efficacy if taken every single day – best if you take breaks – sometimes alternating days – and sometimes take a break for an entire month or so

It may take 1-2 weeks to notice any effects and up to 6 weeks to notice the full benefits.

Be cautious about taking this if you’re on anti-depressants

L-TRYPTOPHAN may help mitigate insomnia and depression by boosting serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain

May help cure night-time waking

500-1000 mg before bed

There are so many 'homeopathic' and 'naturopathic' remedies out there for depressions (and anxiety--which is often related).

I have a dd who suffers with this. A simple blood test can often point towards a solution.

In my dd's case it was her thyroid for the first few years and now it is her adrenals.

DD does take a prescription for her thyroid-- but she uses nautral supplements for her adrenal support.

5HTP has been WONDERFUL for dd... so has acupuncture.

My dd's Dr is a MD as well as a naturopath-- so that helps.

--

Some 'natural' remedies can be HARMFUL if taken long term (like St Johns Wart) so I caution you to blindly suggest herbal remedies to your friend... again the blood tests were inexpensive (although the supplements are not!).

Indeed, I have advised visiting with a dr. She cannot see any alternative practitioners b/c they can't afford it and ins wouldn't cover it. When I spk with her later, I'll definately let her know what you mentioned.

Thanks!

Vitamin B12 converts amino acids to those all-important brain transmitters, serotonin and norephinephrine. Vitamin B12 helps the body make SAM-e as well, a compound that’s involved in optimal neurotransmitter production and function. Low levels of SAM-e can lead to depression.

The sublingual or time-release form is the best absorbed

Doses of 500-1000 mcg are the usual recommendation

Oral vitamin B12 isn't well absorbed; you may need up to 1 or 2 mg daily.

Ask your doctor about B12 shots or doses you can take under the tongue.

Zinc is required by the brain in order to produce GABA, a compound that eases anxiety and irritability.

25-50 mg per day

DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 100 mg

Use zinc gluconate lozenges or OptiZinc for best absorption

According to a study, women who took a daily zinc supplement in addition to a multivitamin for 10 weeks experienced significantly less anger and depression than those who took only a multivitamin.

If you’re depressed AND suffer from chronic pain from conditions like arthritis, take SAM-E. This eases depression and acts as an anti-inflammatory to relieve aches. Avoid SAM-E if you have bipolar disease. Start with 1600 mg a day, then cut back. Recent thread on this here for a depressed young adult. Do a search right here.

Valerian is used in Chinese medicine for insomnia. This herb promotes relaxation and curbs anxiety.

Take 400 to 800 mg in divided doses throughout the day.

The Bach Flower Remedies represent a form of psychotherapy in a bottle, a noninvasive modality to address negative emotional states like:

• Anxiety

• Depression

• Impatience

A Welsh homeopath, Dr. Edward Bach recognized in the 1920s that, if herbs have healing powers, so must flowers. Over many years, he experimented with numerous flowers and trees to create a total of 38 plant-based Bach Flower Remedies.

Bach Rescue Remedy is used in many emergency rooms to help alleviate trauma.

Centuary is useful for boundary issues, especially for people who give too much of themselves

Impatiens is good for irritability and short tempers.

Oak is for those determined types who struggle on (despite setbacks) through adversity or illness.

Rock water can ease tension for those who tend to be hard on themselves.

Melatonin is a natural hormone that promotes sound sleep.

Acts as an antioxidant - early in life, the body produces an abundant supply, but as we age, production steadily declines

Helpful for more difficult insomnia

Cleans the toxins and free radicals from cells

Helps protect cells from DNA damage

Designed to prevent toxins from entering your brain

Has been shown especially effective at preventing free radical damage to cell membranes (one of the prime targets of EMFs from cell phones etc)

If melatonin is taken in the evenings, tumor growth may be slowed

Decreases anxiety by stimulating GABA (a brain chemical that calms you down)

Supports your immune system by regenerating your thymus gland – the center of immune function

In one study, breast cancer cells were dosed with the same amount of melatonin you’d find in a young, human body. Growth of these cancer cells was blocked by 75%. At the very least, this suggests that melatonin could be an important hormone in protecting against breast cancer. Melatonin has been used in high amounts – 20-40 mg – to protect against cancer.

Helps thyroid gland produce T3

Protects your bones

Helps body use zinc: a mineral needed to lower stress and increase appetite

Slows down graying hair

WHY WE NEED MELATONIN

When we stay up late at night or work night shifts, we keep our body from producing melatonin. This increases the risk of hypertension, heart disease, migraines, diabetes, obesity, and cancer. Studies show women night-shift workers have a 500% higher risk of breast cancer and male night shift workers have a 50% increased risk of colorectal and bone cancer. While not realizing it, many people increase this risk with inconsistent sleep/wake schedules - late night studying or partying or shift work schedules.

After the age of 45, melatonin levels decrease.

Melatonin is the only hormone supplement that’s safe to self-medicate.

GUIDELINES

• Start with 1 mg just before bedtime. Take 2 hours or less before bedtime. If this is not effective, gradually increase dosage. Melatonin dosages vary from individual to individual ~ and most do not need the highest dose. Ease into melatonin in increments. Some take up to 20 and even 40 mg.

• Do not take melatonin every single night – a few nights a week

• Do not take melatonin during the day.

• When you awaken after melatonin-assisted sleep, you should feel refreshed – not tired or groggy. If you do experience grogginess, reduce the dosage.

• Do not give to children

• If you wake up in the middle of the night, you can take another 1-5 mg.

NATURAL SOURCES

Walnuts

Fiber-rich foods such as brown rice, oats, and quinoa

Cherries—when tart—and their juice

NUTRITION

Amino acids help the body produce neurotransmitters that affect your mood. The body uses the amino acid L-tryptophan to make serotonin and the amino acid L-tyrosine to make norephinephrine. Amino acids are found in turkey, cheese, chicken, fish, beans, almonds, avocados, bananas, and pumpkins seeds.

3-4 weekly servings of oily fish such as salmon, tuna, or mackerel can lift symptoms of depression – even in cases where drugs like Prozac don’t help. Such fish are rich in DHA, a fatty acid that is also a major component of brain tissue. When DHA levels are high, brain biochemistry works optimally, leading to greater output of feel-good neurotransmitters like dopamine.

Mediterranean Diet helps reduce the risk of depression – these diets fight inflammation – diets that are high in omega-3 fats from chia seeds, fish oil, and flaxseed oil as well as gamma linolenic acid (GLA) from black currant seed, borage, and evening primrose oils provides anti-inflammatory prostaglandins. These good fats ease depression and offer a whole ton of other benefits

Eating a diet high in processed food increases the risk of depression, research suggests.

Too much sugar intake can lead to chronic depression.

What is more, people who ate plenty of vegetables, fruit and fish actually had a lower risk of depression.

They split the participants into two types of diet - those who ate a diet largely based on whole foods, which includes lots of fruit, vegetables and fish, and those who ate a mainly processed food diet, such as sweetened desserts, fried food, processed meat, refined grains and high-fat dairy products.

After accounting for factors such as gender, age, education, physical activity, smoking habits and chronic diseases, they found a significant difference in future depression risk with the different diets.

Those who ate the most whole foods had a 26% lower risk of future depression than those who at the least whole foods.

By contrast people with a diet high in processed food had a 58% higher risk of depression than those who ate very few processed foods.

Reviewing beverage consumption in this country, Harvard researchers also link sugary drinks—everything from soft drinks, sweetened teas and lemonade, fruitades, energy drinks, and even vitamin waters—to inflammation.

Sugar is the underlying cause of so many disorders—including depression.

One of the main determinants of “silent” inflammations in our bodies that promote the development of cancer is the balance between omega-6 fatty acids (which favor inflammation) and omega-3 fatty acids (which reduce it).

Since World War II, the farm animals that give us meat, butter, milk, cheese, cream and eggs are no longer nourished with grass and leaves; they are fed soy and maize instead. Grass is very rich in omega-3s, but maize contains none at all, and soy products contain very little. The animal products that we eat now are thus highly unbalanced, with far too many omega-6s and very few omega-3s.

On average, people in the West have 10 to 15 times more omega-6s in our bodies than omega-3s. This is one of the reasons why all the diseases and conditions that are nourished by inflammation – including depression - are in constant progression in Western countries.

The omega-6s and omega-3s in our bodies come exclusively from our diet. They thus reflect exactly what we eat and drink. To lower the omega ratio, all we need to do is reduce dietary sources of inflammation-promoting omega-6s: red meat, especially if it is produced by industrial farming techniques and if it does not carry an “omega-3” label; dairy products; eggs not marked “omega-3”; sunflower oil, corn oil, safflower oil, and soybean oil. Use olive oil, rapeseed oil, or a mixture of the two. We should also increase all sources of omega-3s: oily fish twice a week (sardines, anchovies, mackerel, salmon); omega-3 eggs; nuts; lambs’-ear salad; green vegetables; linseed or flaxseed oil and flax seeds. Some people (and I’m one of them) also take omega-3 supplements (roughly 1g or 0.03 oz of the EPA-DHA combination) to make sure they have a regular and constant absorption of omega-3s even when they are traveling and find it difficult to maintain a healthy daily diet.

Folate may be a major factor in forming SAM-e and the neurotransmitters serotonin and norephinephrine. Research shows that people who suffer from depression almost always have low levels of folate, which causes symptoms of anxiety and in severe cases, schizophrenic behavior. Find Folate in: turkey, lentils, pinto beans, chickpeas, spinach, black beans, asparagus, collard greens, and turnip greens.

Magnesium is crucial for the synthesis of serotonin and other neurotransmitters. Magnesium is usually lacking in those with depression. In fact, one study reported “rapid recovery from major depression” after treatment with magnesium, and found that magnesium helped relieve the anxiety and insomnia often associated with depression.

Many women have an undiagnosed magnesium deficiency ,which can contribute to anxiety. Get 400-500 mg daily.

Magnesium is found in oat bran, halibut, spinach, barley, pumpkinseeds, beans, and artichokes.

Zinc is required by the brain in order to produce GABA, a compound that eases anxiety and irritability.

Zinc is found in oysters, crab, turkey, lentils, barley, yogurt, and pumpkinseeds.

Look for foods that are high in the amino acid tryptophan. This amino acid may help mitigate insomnia and depression by boosting serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain.

Whole grains – Fiber-rich foods such as brown rice, oats, and quinoa

Sunflower Seeds

Fruit – Bananas, mangoes, figs, and dates

Tuna, turkey, whole grain crackers, yogurt

EXERCISE is key

Do something that you enjoy - even if you don't, once you get into a routine (say after 6 weeks, you'll see amazing benefits). Whatever you choose, it will help. I’m convinced that if my dad didn't exercise, he would never be so upbeat. That and prayer. When my Dad gets frustrated or upset, he goes out for a walk or a swim. I'm not as disciplined as he is. But he's an example to me. Exercise will calm you down, lift your mood and help with depression.

People who exercise for 30 minutes 3 times a week see mood improvements similar to those who take the antidepressant Zoloft.

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Take a walk for well-being – walking or just being outdoors helps greatly with depression and anxiety

OTHER TIPS

Vanilla is calming and boosts serotonin levels in the brain. Just like comfort food, vanilla can bring us back to a place of security and peace. Burn a vanilla-scented candle or inhale the aroma of vanilla beans.

Lavender contains linalool, a substance that blocks the stress response in the body and relaxes the muscles.

Perfect if you have neck and shoulder pains

Add 6 drops of lavender essential oil to your moisturizing lotion.

COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY

I've heard great things about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.htm

MINOR DEPRESSION VERSUS MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER (MDD)

Minor depression is a transient and time-limited condition.

Feeling blue from time to time, usually in response to a stressful or traumatic life situation – such as: a painful divorce, a scary medical diagnosis, or the loss of a job

But if your blues last longer than a few weeks, or if they occur outside the context of a major life change, you may have MDD.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/integrative-mental-health_b_354332.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/are-you-depressed-or-just_b_307734.html

Exercise would certainly help (proven to help). It's hard sometimes in a depressed state to start that...hard for some people in a not depressed state. Maybe the mom could be a partner in that type of lifestyle change if she's not already active.

I'd be thinking low vitamin D as most people are low. She can get her tested--25(OH) D level. She wants a number in the 50's range or beyond. She could just supplement D3 at a high but safe dose. I don't know her age or what is safe for teens though! I know that most people need 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current levels..so she'd need much more to raise a (very likely) low level. The levels set for upper tolerable are safe for sure but set too low--much higher is safe. Example-an adult and teen is set at 4000 IU but it's proven that adults can take up to 10,000 IU per day without any concern of toxicity. The vitamin D council has good information. I'm not sure what dose to recommend but I'd think she needs to improve levels as most people do and it would probably improve her mood. She'd want to dose highest as is safe for her age. No less than 4000 IU per day but I'm sure that more is safe given adult safety (and that the official upper tolerable for teens to adults is the same). Even if she picks 4000 that's better than none! Testing will let her know where she is for sure--again, the lab is 25(OH) D and that's important because some doctors still order the wrong lab. The vitamin D council will have information about that, dosing, safety, etc. She's almost certainly low though unless they are already supplementing at these types of levels.

I'd want to know if she is anemic--iron numbers (especially ferritin) would need a lab. It might be worth checking her thyroid (including T3 and T4) and if she's going to do any of those tests it's worth doing all of them in my mind!

Natural and effective supplements for depression that I'd give a child would be inositol powder (safe, safe, safe) and maybe 5-HTP (can't do a real depression med with it/it acts like an SSRI in the body with the risks of that).

Edited by sbgrace