Menu

Has anyone switched science courses half way through year

I'm using Apologia.

I'm not saying I will end up switching, just that I really, really would like to.

I just don't like Apologia. I get confused so easily with Apologia. I feel like they drag on their modules forever. It isn't a case of going to slow. I couldn't do it in one week, I just don't like how they go all over the place within each module.

Does anyone know of any Chemistry curricula/textbooks you've used other than Apologia?

I'd just like to look into a few more things.

Thanks.

I'm using Apologia.

I'm not saying I will end up switching, just that I really, really would like to.

I just don't like Apologia. I get confused so easily with Apologia. I feel like they drag on their modules forever. It isn't a case of going to slow. I couldn't do it in one week, I just don't like how they go all over the place within each module.

Does anyone know of any Chemistry curricula/textbooks you've used other than Apologia?

I'd just like to look into a few more things.

Thanks.

We tried Apologia for Physical Science and Biology and both times we went back to Abeka. Next year we just go right into Abeka Chemisty.

I have looked and looked. It wasn't Caveman, Conceptual, Spectrum, Abeka, or BJU. The poster talked about this chemistry curriculum being more condensed (less chatty) than Apologia and perfect for them. It is a curriculum I hadn't heard of before.

We are going to slow down Apologia's pace and stick it out. We did look at Real Science 4 Kids 9th grade chemistry (text is online). It is much simpler, but dd said Apologia had more explanation.

Stephanie,

If you're already half way through the course, I'd suggest sticking it out. I used Apologia Chem with my oldest, and by about this time of the year, we both decided that we didn't like it. He didn't like the style/presentation, and I didn't like the organization of topics and the lack of depth in some areas.

However, at such a late point in the year, we both decided just to tough it out because neither of us wanted to back track and start over. He finished the course, and he went on to take General Chem at the local CC two years later and did well in that.

One of the great things about homeschooling is that you can make a change if you need to, but that isn't always the best thing to do. Chemistry programs tend to be expensive due to the need for specialized lab supplies -- yet another reason to tough it out with Apologia this year and then pick another publisher for science for next year.

Brenda

Hang in there!

Frankly, a switch in your science this late in the school year could actually make your science take longer than if you just keep plugging through the Apologia, as there would be unavoidable overlap while you try to back up in a new program in order to adjust to it.

May I ask: what module are you on? The reason I ask is that Apologia gets *much* easier -- far less vocabulary, and far less complex processes -- starting with module 8. The first seven modules are just plain killer. And yes, unfortunately, Dr. Wiles is not a gifted writer, and his writing style makes those first 7 modules worse than they have to be... :eek:

Some ideas:

- persevere, especially if you are in module 6 or 7 right now -- the light at the end of the tunnel of the tough stuff is within sight!

- if you are only in module 4 or 5, consider getting a USED set (new is $150! sometimes you can find used as low as $25) of the Thinkwell Biology lectures (lecturer Dr. Wolfe; on computer CDs) to help get you through the concepts on the cell in a slightly more visual way (we only used a few of the Thinkwell units, as it is a FULL 1-year Biology course on it's own -- but those 2-3 units on cells really helped us get over the hump of Apologia's modules 5, 6, and 7)

- can you meet with someone else who is doing Apologia Biology -- even if it means driving an hour each way -- maybe once every 2 weeks to go over the processes, vocabulary, and labs together? (doing it WITH someone can really help!)

- what about deciding to only do part of Biology this year, and finish it next year? (we did chap. 1-10 the first year for 0.66 credit, then chap. 11-16 the second year for 0.33 credit -- and then we also did 0.5 credit that second year of Anatomy -- though, you could get started with Chemistry or some other science of your choice...)

- what about joining an online group to help you study, keep up, learn it, etc.?

- if you feel you are behind where you would like to be, can you take one week out to be "science week", and literally do NOTHING else, to get over the hump of the hard part of Apologia (modules 1-7)

- perhaps some of the free online Biology tutorial videos at Khan Academy might help?

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Stephanie,

If you're already half way through the course, I'd suggest sticking it out.

(snip)

One of the great things about homeschooling is that you can make a change if you need to, but that isn't always the best thing to do.

:iagree:

You'll end up going halfway through the summer to finish. We've been there, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Lori D, she is doing chemistry, we are on module 7 of chemistry, and for a second I got excited that it would get better, then I realized you were talking about biology. Oh well!! This is my second time with Apologia Chemistry, if we didn't have VHSG, I don't know what I would do. I don't know which course I like least, chemistry or geometry........ but very glad geometry is behind us and chemistry soon will be!!

Tigersgrowl, maybe just stick with it. My dd likes to watch all of the lectures first, then read the module, then do the experiments. Then, the practice and study questions. We are limiting most days to 60-75 minutes, then carrying to the next day. Chemistry was taking too much of our day. We have now moved to the asynchronous option, the pressure was to great to keep up. We ended up with no experiments for the first six modules, and it took a few weeks to catch the experiments up. Now we are in cruise control until the end of the school year.

Yes we have, but I totally, totally agree with what pp's have said to NOT do it! Maybe you can find a cheap Abeka Chemistry book on ebay and use that alongside your Apologia. This is what a friend did with her daughter when they got bogged down with Chem last year---but she ended up liking Apologia better after reading and using the Abeka. The reason I personally suggest not doing a complete switch is that you will either find yourself behind or like someone else said working all summer.

Oh good grief! You would think I would at least notice the CRUCIAL items in the post -- i.e. -- Chemistry, not Biology!! How embarrassing...

One thought: just do as much of it as you can, determine how much of a credit it is worth, and either next year do part of a different chemistry program to finish off a full credit's worth, or move on to a completely different science -- unless your state *requires* 1 credit of chemistry. (Most states just require 3 credits of lab sciences, your choice.)

In my opinion, I'd say that the Apologia Chemistry does ease up a bit for Modules 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 -- but those earlier chapters on atoms and molecules are tough!

As a resource to help you keep "plugging on" with the Apologia Chemistry, perhaps take a look at the free online Conceptual Chemistry video tutorials that are supplements to the Conceptual Chemistry textbook -- he is very helpful and visual in his explanations.

Also, consider checking out the free online video explanations of Chemistry topics at Khan Academy.

Our experience here: older DS toughed it out and completed Apologia Chemistry, largely on his own. This year, I'm doing Conceptual Chemistry with younger DS -- it is MUCH more interesting and accessible, and, although from a secular perspective, he is respectful about the limits of science, too.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Hey Stephanie,

Some living book ideas to help make Chem a little more interesting:

The Disappearing Spoon

Molecules at an Exhibition

Cartoon Guide to Chemistry

That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles: 62 All New Commentaries on the Facsinating Chemistry of Everyday Life

I agree that I wouldn't switch curriculums mid-semester, but maybe you could tweak it a little bit to make it more interesting and/or applicable.