Menu

An answer from MFW concerning Cathy Duffy's review

I recently posted a question concerning a comment Cathy Duffy made about MFW high school. Here... (Wow! I just learned a new trick... hope it works!)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237714[/url]

I e-mailed the same question to MFW, and today I heard back from them. I thought I would post the answer so everyone would know how they responded. See below:

Thank you for your question about our high school program in response to Cathy Duffy’s review.

We appreciate Cathy’s positive and thorough review of our high school program. We are not aware of any college entry issues with MFW curriculum. We have heard very encouraging reports from families who have used our programs to meet high school graduation requirements. These students have achieved strong ACT and/or SAT exam scores along with academic scholarships to the universities of their choice. We also hear that their transition to college life has gone smoothly.

As Cathy Duffy’s review states, “Because MFW also provides an academically-rich education, this [college entry] is not likely to be a problem. If you prepare a child well academically, and possibly have them accumulate some CLEP credits during their high school years, they should be well-positioned for academic success in college as well as solidly grounded in their faith because of the intensive worldview education they will have received.”

If you have other questions about our high school program, please let me know.

Bret Welshymer

My Father's World

PO Box 2140

Rolla, MO 65402

573/426-4600

www.mfwbooks.com

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Thanks! Of course after only 9 weeks into the curriculum with ds this year, I have no doubts it's college prep! ;) And we're only at the first year.

:iagree: I'd bet that, depending on where they attend college (someplace like Patrick Henry being an exception ;) ), MOST if not all of the students there will have never read any of the books that MFW has scheduled in high school. I know I hadn't. :tongue_smilie:

That's good to know. Thank you for posting this as there are so few(I think?) reviews of MFW HS.

When I read this original post from you, I figured the comment was due to the alignment of the classes-as in not having what is needed before the ACT/SAT/PSAT.

B'c I am still in the baby stages:001_rolleyes: of figuring out HS, I am unsure of what IS needed WHEN-in order to be fully prepared for these tests. However, that is a whole other thread search for me. Ahh....

That's good to know. Thank you for posting this as there are so few(I think?) reviews of MFW HS.

When I read this original post from you, I figured the comment was due to the alignment of the classes-as in not having what is needed before the ACT/SAT/PSAT.

B'c I am still in the baby stages:001_rolleyes: of figuring out HS, I am unsure of what IS needed WHEN-in order to be fully prepared for these tests. However, that is a whole other thread search for me. Ahh....

MFW actually has a planning guide for strong college prep 4 year high school. Look on their website, under HIgh school click here I think, and then click on the documents they have for Planning Guide. It shows how they begin SAT/ACT prep even in 9th grade!

They have both 4 year course of study showing the math and all of that. And an overall planning guide for all of the other stuff.

-crystal

MFW actually has a planning guide for strong college prep 4 year high school. Look on their website, under HIgh school click here I think, and then click on the documents they have for Planning Guide. It shows how they begin SAT/ACT prep even in 9th grade!

They have both 4 year course of study showing the math and all of that. And an overall planning guide for all of the other stuff.

-crystal

SHA, thank you for leading me to this thread, somehow I'd missed it!

Crystal, thanks for the link and info. to this area! I like looking at this kind of thing and working that direction!