Menu

? about Dolciani and Lial texts...

On Saturday at Goodwill, I got a 1982 Dolciani, Algebra and Trig, Book 2 for $5! Has anyone covered the

Algebra topics for a full credit and the Trig topics for half credit?

I also got a Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra. It is from 2002 and is a hardback book. Can it be used for Algebra 1 and 2.. a full credit for each?

Right now I plan on using problems/explainations out of both books to supplement MUS for my dd for this year.

I'm excited to have found them for $5 each! They will come in as a handy resource even if I don't use them for main textbooks.

Thanks.

Congratulations on your finds.

My son used an older version of that Dolciani text. I gave one credit for "Algebra II/Trig" which was precisely what I earned when I used the text in high school (back in the dark ages).

Which may not be the answer you are looking for!

Jane

The Trig in the Algebra 2 text will not be as in depth as what your student will find in a Pre-Calc course... so I would hesitate on giving credit for one semester of Trig.

Even Forester recommends skipping the Trig secition in his Algebra 2 combo text if the student will be taking his Pre-Calc class because the Trig is better (more complete) in the Pre-Calc text.

Lial-- It is possible to give credit for Algebra 1 and Algebra 2-- but this test is more of a REVIEW TEXT...

It will not have enough practice for most Algebra 1 students (especially 8th and 9th graders). It would be a great text for extra problems though.

The Trig in the Algebra 2 text will not be as in depth as what your student will find in a Pre-Calc course... so I would hesitate on giving credit for one semester of Trig.

Jann, I cannot speak for the 1980's editions of Dolciani, but the 1970's editions of Algebra II/Trig have trig chapters that are equivalent to those in modern precalculus books. Blue Hen had her son use a modern Precalc text after using an old Dolciani Algebra II/Trig. She reported that he learned nothing new. Dolciani followed that Algebra II/Trig book with the wonderful Intro to Analysis Text which goes far beyond a basic Precalc book in introducing students to mathematics, i.e. proofs. I remember as a high school student spending hours trying to understand induction. Tough work!

Anyway, I really do think that the old Dolcianis are amazingly meaty.

I did have a chance to compare the early 80's Algebra I book with that of the '60's. The '80's book had BASIC programming in it and eliminated some of the Part C challenging questions. If the Algebra II/Trig text is comparable to the old one, it may still have a strong trig section.

Thank you so much for your input.

This year these books will be mainly used for extra problems and extra explainations as needed. My dd will need extra "easier" problems. Both these books seem to have easier problems in each problem set.

DS will finish MUS geometry "early" and I plan on using the Lial's book for Algebra review. I might let him try the Dolciani book too at the end of this year.

So, I'm not sure how I'll use them yet.

Thanks again!