Menu

Handwriting without Tears

shinyhappypeople

6 yo DD is struggling with remembering how to write her lower-case letters. I've been using an informal program with D'Nealian style letters.

I'm thinking about switching her to HWOT Gr. 1. I was looking at the sample on Rainbow Resource and the sample page teaches a rhyme for the letter S (little magic c, turn down and around). Is this typical of how they teach letters? She finds rhymes and similar mnemonics very helpful.

I love HWOT. Not only is it the program I use at home to teach my 2 younger kids, but it is also the program my dd's preschool uses, and they are sending me to the course to learn how to teach it. THough you do not need a course to know how to do that. FOr my ds he has always struggled with letter formation etc. Since switching to HWOT he has made leaps and bounds in that area. THe multisensory approach using the chalk board, chalk and sponges has really helped cement it into his head. Using the cues and little rhymes etc is how they teach each and every letter. You can also get cd's (which both younger kids love) that reinforce the skills taught. The preschool cd is fine for all ages not just preschool, my 7 year old loves to sing along. The other one is geared more for K-1 kids and has faster paced songs, rap etc. You do not need all the extra stuff to use HWOT just the workbook, but may find that using at least some of the other parts such as the slate board really helps your chlid master the skills.

Yes, all the letters have little instructions like that. I started the first grade book with my first grader a few weeks ago, and he is forming his lowercase letters properly now. I sometimes have to say "magic c" to remind him, but that's happening much less often.

The first grade book quickly reviews the capital letters, then teaches the lowercase letters with the sayings, so you don't need to bother with the K book for your first grader.