Menu

If you attend a hs conference, must you stay on-site?

I don't know which conference you're attending, but I have never heard of a big conference requiring any sort of hotel stay. Most people drive to and from them in the same day, and only stay overnight if they have a particularly long trip, or if they want to attend on multiple days.

It can be convenient to stay overnight, but it's certainly not necessary, as far as I know.

Cat

I'm considering the Great American Homeschool Conference in my area. I'm about a two hour drive away, so yes, I would have to stay overnight for the duration of the conference. Apparently sack lunches are not allowed at this venue, so I would have to buy lunches/snacks on-site. Just really tossing this around in my mind, as it is adding up to more than $500 with just gas, hotel, and food so far. I'm not sure I can rationalize the expenditure yet, but I'd love to go.

Sack lunches aren't allowed in our venue either, so I just take a walk down the block to a bench or through the skywalk and eat my sack lunch so I am not on the venue property. Just a thought. The venue meals are usually $8 and up and for DH and I to both eat that for 2 days is just a bit much so we sack it. If we stay in a suburb hotel, it is often half the price of the ones downtown by the venue.

It's not required. Mostly, it's how easy do you want to make it for yourself. In general, my rule of thumb for any conference is that if I'm going to have a car there, I'll stay off site, but if I'm not-if I have to fly-I'll stay on-site because usually it comes out cheaper or about the same as renting a car and staying off site.

No, you're not required to stay at a certain hotel. They often make deals with the neighboring hotels to get reduced rates, which they advertise and allow you to know, but you're not required to stay there. You can often find lower rates at hotels a little farther away. It really depends on what your needs are. When I attend, and have young ones with me, I like to be nearby to the venue, so we can get back to the room quickly. However, with just my hubby and I attending, I don't mind the drive.

The other thing to keep in mind when attending a conference is the parking. I'm not sure where the one you're considering is located, but parking can be at a premium in downtown locations.

And yes, if money is an issue, don't buy lunch there. Go off site and eat or take a sack lunch in the car.

Sack lunches aren't allowed in our venue either, so I just take a walk down the block to a bench or through the skywalk and eat my sack lunch so I am not on the venue property. Just a thought. The venue meals are usually $8 and up and for DH and I to both eat that for 2 days is just a bit much so we sack it. If we stay in a suburb hotel, it is often half the price of the ones downtown by the venue.

Good idea! I guess I need to mapquest the time/distance from the optional hotel choice to the venue downtown.