Menu

I need some Ipod Touch questions answered

Ok, so I am techno challenged but am considering an ipod touch for myself.

Questions:

Do most areas these days have wifi available? Like restaurants and offices? Or is it only select areas?

The new ipod touch says it has HD videos and replay them, but it says nothing of a still camera. Can you take still photos? And what is the megapixel?

How are the people on the website making calls with this? Is it Skype? It shows picture phone capabilities.

Will the $300 8GB be enough for me?

Sorry for all the questions but I really need to figure this out.

Thanks,

Dawn

Mine does not have a camera or a microphone built in, so in order to take pictures or Skype, you would need add-ons. The iPhone has both of these built in. It's possible there's a newer version that does more.

I have an 8 GB, and it's been sufficient for my needs, even though I'm a music teacher and have a lot of playlists. I do, however, delete extra music when I'm not using it (for example, all of my Christmas stuff is now off the iPod), and I don't use it as the backup for my music files. I know many people who want to have ALL of their music/audiobook files on the iPod at any one time, and therefore want a higher capacity. I also delete videos that we're not using at a given time.

Ok, so I am techno challenged but am considering an ipod touch for myself.

Questions:

Do most areas these days have wifi available? Like restaurants and offices? Or is it only select areas?

The new ipod touch says it has HD videos and replay them, but it says nothing of a still camera. Can you take still photos? And what is the megapixel?

How are the people on the website making calls with this? Is it Skype? It shows picture phone capabilities.

Will the $300 8GB be enough for me?

Sorry for all the questions but I really need to figure this out.

Thanks,

Dawn

Has a still camera. 8GB goes fast especially if you are going to have photos and video.

Lots of places do have WIFI but you have to have access to that network unless the places specifies free wifi.

I can't explain megapixel other than it is a unit of measurement for video quality. The higher the number the sharper the image. Density of dots.

The internet call thing is Vonage. Skype is video.

Yes, he can do "FaceTime". Which is like skype. I'm notnsure if he do the name brand skype.

The camera is nice, don't know the megapixel.

He can text with Text Free and can also make phone calls with the same program - no cost and only when there is a hot spot.

We bought the 32 gig. So many things you can do, if you can afford it I'd go that route rather than 8, but just my .02

He can receive and send text messages?

Can he receive calls on this or only make them?

In looking I will def. go with the 32 GB over the 8.

When he makes a call with it what number shows up for the recipients with Caller ID?

Dawn

Yes, he can do "FaceTime". Which is like skype. I'm notnsure if he do the name brand skype.

The camera is nice, don't know the megapixel.

He can text with Text Free and can also make phone calls with the same program - no cost and only when there is a hot spot.

We bought the 32 gig. So many things you can do, if you can afford it I'd go that route rather than 8, but just my .02

I've got a 4th generation ipod Touch

It can do stills and movies -- but for stills I prefer my camera. The quality is not great (have not done much with movies)

I'm still glad I got the 4th generation though because the screen image is better -- they've really improved it and I appreciate that.

It is called "Text Free." Sorry about the typos on my previous post, it was on my ipad and sometimes it is hard to type on there!

Yes, we just downloaded the app this weekend. Sends and receives both, just amazing! As long as in wifi hotspot!

The picture/phone thing that you are seeing that is like Skype is called "FaceTime." This particular application is geared only between Ipod/Iphones I think. I'm not sure about Skype, we haven't tried it yet, although my husband's iphone uses Skype I'm pretty sure.

Overall this is a pretty amazing little machine. He can also get Netflix (so movies, etc can be downloaded at wifi spot). The many different abilities are why we went with the 32 gig for him.

The newest gen iPod touch does have both a video camera and a still camera.

Apple does not necessarily advertise the megapixel of the still camera, because they consider it a "spur of the moment" camera....for those times you don't want to miss the shot but forgot your real camera. That being said: It takes a 960x720 picture, which translates to .69 Megapixels.

You use the HD camera for both Skype (which is an App you pay for and download from iTunes App store) or Facetime, which is a free App that you can use with anyone that owns a 4th gen iPod touch, iPhone4 or Mac with Facetime.

Facetime is free, using WiFi and is like a video conference call.

Keep in mind the GB, ie 8GB, has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with memory. How many files, photos, music, Apps, etc it can hold.

8GB can hold about 3600 songs. But that space is shared with photos, videos, movies, Apps, books, etc.

-A normal movie will take up between 1.5GB, to 2GB.

-Books vary but to give you an idea, the Bible, both Testaments, takes about 1GB.