Menu

Is Nancy Larson worth it for first grade?

grace'smom

I'm trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and purchase Nancy Larson for first grade, or to wait another year and get the Level One in second grade. Is it worth it for a first grader? We want to give our daughter a strong, solid science foundation where she'll have a good comprehension and memory of concepts and vocabulary. However, is this too much for a first grader? Is there something cheaper that would give her the same thing without a lot of prep time on my part? If there's not then it's worth it and I should stop worrying about the cost...

I was thinking about McRuffy or Elemental as alternatives, with Larson's course beginning in second grade. Any thoughts on the take away knowledge kids will retain with those? Any other ideas?

This year we're doing a lot of animal study with weekly zoo visits, Sonlight science read alouds in random order, and sometimes a chapter of Classic Science from that eequalsmcsquared website or a trip to the local science museum.

I am using level 1 with my 2nd and K boys and I think it would be perfectly fine for 1st. Had I known about it last year I would have done it when my oldest was in 1st, but it is working out well for me to combine the two boys. In the future I will likely do it with my 1st graders. With my Kindergartener I help him with some of the writing b/c that is still a weak point for him, but he is retaining the information from the lessons and I am very impressed with the vocabulary both boys have gained from the program... Plus, it is a lot of fun and for the first time I know that we are going to do science each day because we have everything we need on hand!

I would *highly* recommend it! We're currently loving level two. I would have done level one last year, but I didn't know about it. It's very systematic and builds upon itself in a logical way, goes much deeper than any other elementary science I've seen, and most importantly, gets done!! Nancy Larson has made science my ds's favorite subject. Even my 4yo loves listening in during science time!

I think NL Science 1 is very appropriate for 1st grade. It is a good, solid curriculum and it is super easy to use.

My only complaints are 1) cost 2) over-scripted 3) too many pictures/cards and not enough real world observation.

In spite of these issues, I think it is one of the best secular, science programs around. The only one I like better is BFSU, but it is nowhere near as easy to use.