Menu

I NEED you tell me I am CRAZY for even thinking about it

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be 47 next week, feeling often old and tired, but if someone asked me to adopt a newborn baby girl, well to say that I'd jump at it and be beside myself with happiness would not even begin to describe it.

:iagree: I am 47 and my DH is 50. We have 4 children and our youngest is 10. We most definately don't plan on having more or seeking out adoption or anything like that. But if someone came up to me and offered me her infant daughter for adoption, I'd shout out hallelujah at the top of my lungs. DH too. We'd take her in a heart beat!

What is best for you, I have no idea. I don't think you'd be wrong either way. You just have to seek out God's plan for your family, as others have said.

But....wouldn't it be.....precious and special.....for your daughter to have a sister of the same nationality, a sister for life that she had so much in common with? Something to think about.

God bless you and guide you in your decision.

Aw, I would have such a hard time saying no and I'm 42!

Our oldest is adopted and has been such an incredible gift her entire life ~ she's 12 now, so that's saying something!!!

My brother and I are 11.5 years apart (I'm older :glare:) and we are best friends and have been for about a decade now.

Well, I think you will end up adopting this baby. As soon as I saw the title of your post, my heart JUMPED for JOY and I thought, "She's going to adopt another baby." :D

I wish you all the best with it. Heather, you are 40. So what? I was 36 when I met my husband, 37 when we married, just over 38 when my oldest was born, and not quite 40 when the twins came. In between that, I had cancer, surgery, treatment, two rough pregnancies, and two C-sections. My husband was in school, we moved, we changed jobs, we bought a house. Wow. No wonder we were tired. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You can do this. I am nearly 44 and have a six year old and twin four year olds. That baby stage was a blur for us, but it can be done. I just sold our high chairs and cribs and strollers on Craigslist -- we HAD to clean out that baby stuff, it was time to move on, KWIM? The baby stage goes by and you have Preema to help. She loves you.

God will show you what to do. :grouphug:

So I am standing in the bathroom this morning brushing my teeth and dh is in the shower (probably TMI) but as I am brushing my teeth my dh says completely out of nowhere "How about the name Olivia?"

:svengo:

No we have not "decided" yet...still praying...still talking. But that took me by surprise as he is always the hesitant one! I am both excited and scared at the same time by the thought of it.

If you don't mind, please pray for us that we make the right decision!

Heather,

My son loves having a sister that looks like him. He says he likes being adopted way more now that he 'isn't the only brown kid in the family'. Not that having even numbers of a race are important to everyone, but for some reason it is to my son,at least he doesn't feel like he stands out in a crowd as much. It might be some thing important some day to Natalie as well.

So I am standing in the bathroom this morning brushing my teeth and dh is in the shower (probably TMI) but as I am brushing my teeth my dh says completely out of nowhere "How about the name Olivia?"

No we have not "decided" yet...still praying...still talking. But that took me by surprise as he is always the hesitant one! I am both excited and scared at the same time by the thought of it.

I'll pray for you, and FWIW, I love the name Olivia!

My youngest two are 14 months apart, born when I was 39 and almost 41.

Good luck with your decision!

Oh, Heather, praying and smiling ... just praying and smiling.

Heather- I've been away for many days (at my niece's wedding in So. CA- too FUN!) and I come upon your news...... all I can say is I :iagree::iagree::iagree:

You wanted a little girl so badly...maybe the Lord is blessing you because of your commitment to Him and life you are giving your children....may you know His peace as you pray for this decision. So happy for you all!

Ha ha. Hubby has already adopted her. You can't pass up on someone who has a name. :lol:

Personally I'll think you're crazy if you don't take her. You have an ahma, you will cope!

:)

Rosie

Well now... we have a rule here: "If you name it, you have to keep it."

Ha ha. Hubby has already adopted her. You can't pass up on someone who has a name. :lol:

Personally I'll think you're crazy if you don't take her. You have an ahma, you will cope!

Rosie

Ha, yeah, sorry, but I think you guys HAVE decided, but just haven't fully admitted it yet :P (And I think it's great!)

Heather -

I've been off the boards busy all day, so I just saw this. I went through an experience so similar to yours with our last daughter and felt I had to share it with you. Our attorney called us about adopting a baby. We had an adopted daughter who would be 28 months when the baby was born, a little boy who would be 9 months old, and three older children. We both felt we could not say no right away and prayed about it. We said yes.

She is our Olivia (yes, her name is Olivia!) and I cannot imagine life without her. She was meant to be part of our family. She and her brother, who is only 9 months older, are SO close. I cannot envision his childhood without hers.

It was definitely hard the first year having three very small ones, but I wouldn't change a thing. :001_smile:

I will be praying for you that you KNOW in your heart for sure.

Ahh, Olivia's are wonderful - that's my 2 yr old's name! I have a very strong hunch that you will soon have an Olivia of your own!

Veronica

Ooooo, shivers! (the good kind!)

Olivia. That's lovely. Your dh is a dear.

Heather -

I've been off the boards busy all day, so I just saw this. I went through an experience so similar to yours with our last daughter and felt I had to share it with you. Our attorney called us about adopting a baby. We had an adopted daughter who would be 28 months when the baby was born, a little boy who would be 9 months old, and three older children. We both felt we could not say no right away and prayed about it. We said yes.

She is our Olivia (yes, her name is Olivia!) and I cannot imagine life without her. She was meant to be part of our family. She and her brother, who is only 9 months older, are SO close. I cannot envision his childhood without hers.

It was definitely hard the first year having three very small ones, but I wouldn't change a thing. :001_smile:

I'm just coming into this now, Heather, but when I read your OP, I instantly felt warmth and happiness that you were being given this opportunity. It surely must be a God-thing if this particular baby made you stop and *think* rather than saying no right away. It is not at all crazy!

It sounds like your husband has already starting loving this little one. As hard as it may be initially, God often leads us to where we need to be. It reminds me of how He says if we follow him and obey, he will bless us over and over again with more than what we originally asked for.

Praying you will find your answer soon! I love her name, btw! :)

Will Olivia be a doctor or an accountant? :D

:lol:

Rosie

Neurosurgeon??

I really think I am crazy. Really. Natalie's middle name is Sarah after my mother. I asked dh "Should we name her Olivia Carolyn?" Carolyn is his mother's name (she died of cancer several years ago).

I am picking out middle names????????????

Awwww he's already to be wrapped around another little daughter's pinky.

It seems we are all living vicariously through you. I would love to have a baby girl - my babies are 10 and no grandbabies yet. Just the thought of having a baby girl for our own makes me happy. Thank you allowing us to share in your joy (am I sounding too pushy here?)

Olivia is my ODD and Sarah is my YDD. I know what quandry you are in. I was just called today by my exMIL (we got along very well) and she wants to know if I would adopt her neices baby...UGH...I would in a split second but....DH is almost 45, just took on farming a neighbors farm which is very large and I am finishing my BSN in nursing this year and have plans to go on for my MSN/Midwife next year. A baby really just isn't a good fit for us right now. I am sad about it, expecially since it is a little boy and DH doesn't have a boy. BUT...the good thing is I asked exMIL if I could call a nurse I work with that has had a lung transplant for cystic fibrosis, is very healthy but can't bear children due to all of the transplant meds. I called her and she is very excited.

Good luck with your decision. I think Natalie needs a playmate myself.

Neurosurgeon??

I really think I am crazy. Really. Natalie's middle name is Sarah after my mother. I asked dh "Should we name her Olivia Carolyn?" Carolyn is his mother's name (she died of cancer several years ago).

I think the decision has been made (for you or by you, who knows), you both just need to say it out loud and move on to the next step. Congratulations! :D

I'm praying. Olivia is a great name.

Rosie

Why do I find myself agreeing with you when I posted cons, too? But the crazy thing is that I do :).

Heather -

Tammy,

I thought about you and your awesome family right away when I read this thread!!!! And then when she said the name Olivia, I got goosebumps. :)

I think we might be meeting Princess Olivia very soon. xoxo Heather!

I think you already have :D

:iagree:

Neurosurgeon??

Congrats! I like Olivia Rose too.

Pros

We can afford it.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but the continuing costs of another child are a considerable issue. That's one more child to support through the early years and put through university.

It sounds very hard-hearted, but one reason we stopped at two was to make sure that we could afford their expenses. We didn't want to find ourselves spending so much on children that we ended up being a burden on them through poverty in our old age.

Best wishes

Laura

Heather,

I haven't read everything, but I read your original post, #102, & #108 as well as a few posts in between. FWIW, after meeting our son and flying back to the US to await our adoption date a couple weeks later, we learned I was pregnant. DD wasn't planned, but was certainly a welcome surprise! My kids are 13 1/2 months apart. I won't lie -- it was difficult when they were babies, but now that they're older it's easier than having them spaced even 2 years apart.

DH and I also went into the adoption with the understanding that if any "surprise siblings" came out of the woodwork, we would adopt them as well. I know this isn't the same thing. These girls aren't biological sisters, but it seems almost kismet that the best friend of Natalie's bio mom not only got pregnant while you're still in Malaysia, but specifically wants you to adopt her baby. Not that this should be a huge factor in your decision-making because ultimately you have to do what is in the best interest of your family, but this young woman probably has very little in her life that she can control. She is trying to control the future of her child and provide her with a good life, and in her mind your family is the best shot she has for her baby. She obviously loves her child and must have heard a lot of wonderful things about your family if she wants you to adopt her.

I wish you peace with whatever you decide. This must be one of the most difficult decisions you've ever had to make.

Smiling and praying too. Olivia IS a great name.

OK here's where we are at... we talked and prayed and prayed and talked....

And we are going for it. :D

Dh said to me "We have always said that if we had the money and the opportunity we would have a house full of kids. Well it's time to put up or shut up." :lol::lol:

He has a way of getting right to the point. There is no REAL reason for us NOT to. We love kids. We have said for years that we wanted a big family. We can afford it. The baby is being placed right into our lives without us looking for her. etc. etc.

We are proceeding cautiously as this is a private adoption and anything could go wrong. But the adoption liason is contacting the birthmom today to let her know we want to move forward with the adoption so I guess we will go from there!

So with God's blessing and provision, in about 5 or 6 weeks we should have Olivia Carolyn joining our family! We have yet to tell anyone IRL and we are going to wait until the details are firm but we are all thrilled including Prema who loves babies!!!