Menu

HS convention in Richmond

eesmom

Hello all, I am new to HS (just started a few weeks ago) and have been contemplating about going to the HEAV convention in Richmond in June. I am a bit hesitant partly because I have never been before and wasn't sure how helpful they might be. Could you all guide a newbie and give me a real perspective on what it is like?

Is it crazy busy?

Will I really be able to get my questions answered there?

Are there discounts for curriculum available?

What are the most helpful aspects of the convention in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Could you all guide a newbie and give me a real perspective on what it is like? It's a large convention with lots of speakers and vendors.

Is it crazy busy? Um, yes, at times it's very crowded in the speaker rooms or vendor hall

Will I really be able to get my questions answered there? Usually yes. You may have to wait to ask. but when you do, the vendors are always good about answering questions. unless it's right after their talk and then it's crazy and well, good luck getting the change to ask, lol.

Are there discounts for curriculum available? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Depends on the vendor. I have found some great deals. And other vendors have no discounts at all. but there is no shipping...so that is a deal right?

What are the most helpful aspects of the convention in your opinion? to see/hold the curriculum in your hand and see the quality of the product and see the whole program and not just a snippet.

it's usually worth just going on a shopping pass to get all the catalogs to look over even if you skip the speakers. I like having updated catalogs in case we want to switch things around in the year...I have most vendor catalogs at home to look through. I like catalogs over internet most days.

Last summer I went to the HEAV convention and it was my first time. I'm not a new homeschooler, and was mostly interested in looking at books, so I just got a shopping pass. I didn't attend any of the workshops, so I can't comment about what they are like.

As a new homeschooler, you may want to you may want to attend conferences that are held on Friday (their first day). Topics on the first day usually center around new homeschoolers. I don't think Friday is as busy, either.

The HEAV Conference is certainly well attended, and it does get quite busy, but I did't think it was that bad. I spent TONS of time in the shopping hall, and did notice that it does get very busy, but there are times when traffic is not that bad, too.

Many vendors do discounts. One benefit of buying at a convention is that you don't have to pay shipping!

I highly recommend this conference. I'm looking forward to attending the workshops AND shopping this year.

Hello all, I am new to HS (just started a few weeks ago) and have been contemplating about going to the HEAV convention in Richmond in June. I am a bit hesitant partly because I have never been before and wasn't sure how helpful they might be. Could you all guide a newbie and give me a real perspective on what it is like?

Is it crazy busy?

Yes and no. I think it's important to go with a plan. See what talks you would like to hear, and what curriculum you are particularly interested in. If you can target your issues, then it's not as "busy." I find it's crazy right before / after the main sessions, but during workshop times it gets calm and I am able to find lots of time for questioning vendors and shopping.

Will I really be able to get my questions answered there?

Again, go with a plan, and you will probably be able to get your questions answered.

Are there discounts for curriculum available?

Lots of vendors offer "convention discounts" but not all.

What are the most helpful aspects of the convention in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

I am going to offer some pros and cons about convention. First the pros...

- You can put your hands on the books. You can look through the pages, talk to vendors, and in general get a better feel for curricula.

- The talks are very, very helpful. I am very inspired by the keynote speakers and selected workshops we have chosen have been very helpful.

- You get the chance to meet with and talk to other experienced homeschoolers. If you take your kids, they get the opportunity to see that they are involved in something that is much bigger than their house.

- two words--Lamplighter Books. :D

- anther few words--Peace Hill Press

- another two very important words--Rainbow Resources--now THAT place is a scene! fun, but yes, everyone loves RR.

- used curriculum store. it is possible to find some really good deals on used curriculum.

now the cons:

- you can feel utterly overwhelmed. There is so much to see and do, that if you do not plan ahead or prepare yourself mentally for this eventuality, you can feel like you want to go back to the hotel and hide under the bed.

- you can feel like a kid in a candy shop and spend WAY TOO MUCH MONEY. ask me how i know.

IMO the pros far outweigh the cons. I have learned to plan ahead and budget my spending. We use it as the annual end of the school year celebration. I go and stock up for the following school year, the kids go to the kids' program, and dh and I go to a few sessions (but we don't over-schedule), he carries my books :D and waits so patiently while I shop, show him stuff, pick his brain for opinions (to which he almost always says, "whatever you think is best, honey.") It has been a key factor in getting dh really involved in hsing. he is no longer hesitant to step in and help with the teaching, he has listened to excellent talks geared at dads which really impacted him, he has seen all that is involved in making this thing work. we stay at the hotel and order room service for dinner, which the kids LOVE. we take a cooler of other foods for b-fast and lunch. Last year we bought all of the convention talks on cd and listened to them over the course of the summer. this way i didn't feel as if I had missed out on anything by not going to all the sessions.

HTH. I definitely would encourage you to attend.