Menu

Library ebooks & kindle?

My understanding is that there are ways to get library books on your Kindle, but you're not really supposed to, and it's a pain to do so. I just got a Nook, and I've read several library books on it no problem. My local library doesn't have e-books, but there are a number of libraries with a good e-book selection that will let you get a non-resident card even if you're out of state (the Free Library of Philadelphia is the cheapest one, at $15/year, as far as I know).

If you don't already have a reader, go with the Nook. Overdrive won't work with the Kindle. I do hope this changes one day because I'm not going to buy a Nook (I already have a Kindle) just so I can read library books. I'll just go the library and pick up a hard copy. :D On the plus side, Overdrive does finally allow me to put audio books on my iPod. Yay! It was such a pain to convert their old method.

Ditto the others. I'm partial to Sony because I have one and LOVE it. :D The Sony 350 just went on sale for $129 (down from $179). So right now the Sony 350 is cheaper than Kindle, Nook, or Kobo. The newest Sonys have the same Pearl screen that the newest Kindles have. Unlike the other ereaders the Sony has a touch screen interface, which is a joy to use. If you buy from Best Buy, they've got a 30 day return policy. It can also be purchased from Borders or from Sony directly. Unless you have Borders gift cards burning a hole in your pocket, I wouldn't buy from Borders, as the way their electronics return policy is enforced may be much less favorable to you.

You can get library books onto Kindles with hassle. However it requires you to strip the DRM and remove the due date. This is probably illegal, and it certainly violates the library user agreement.

Edited by jplain

As of now, OverDrive doesn't work with Kindle.

In fact - only Kindle books from Amazon are compatible. There are workarounds, but if you know you want to access OverDrive, GoogleBooks, EPubs, and PDF's - I'd go with a Nook or a Sony.

This is not correct. It does not do epub or overdrive, but Kindle works with PDF and several other formats in addition to their own. I use PDFs all the time.