Menu

okay, last one- kindle in the boonies??

Do you want to put your dh on & have us talk to him? ;)

I can't quite understand the blahblahblah part of what you wrote, but...um...I'm not sure whether or not to ask for clarification. :lol:

Your dh said y'all don't have wireless in the boonies. (Right?)

BUT there's wireless in your house (says YOU or DH?)

Are you thinking of getting the wifi or the 3G?

Are you sure you don't want a Nook? *ducking* :biggrinjester:

Do you want to put your dh on & have us talk to him? ;)

I can't quite understand the blahblahblah part of what you wrote, but...um...I'm not sure whether or not to ask for clarification. :lol:

Your dh said y'all don't have wireless in the boonies. (Right?)

BUT there's wireless in your house (says YOU or DH?)

Are you thinking of getting the wifi or the 3G?

Are you sure you don't want a Nook? *ducking* :biggrinjester:

You are just full of yourself tonight aren't you? :lol: How bout you put First Work in kindle book form?

You only need a connection when you're doing the actual downloading. I don't think that's worth the extra money. I just need to be able to download when I'm at home.

(but I'm not sure what your husband meant when he said you don't have wireless, but you have wireless in the house)

You only need a connection when you're doing the actual downloading. I don't think that's worth the extra money. I just need to be able to download when I'm at home.

(but I'm not sure what your husband meant when he said you don't have wireless, but you have wireless in the house)

I have been pondering this great mystery also. Does it mean the wireless came to the house in a cable? Is that even possible? How does the internet work anyhow? How do cell phones work? DVD players??

The only thing I can run in this house is the wood stove, and I have to have plenty of lighter fluid to make it work.

I have been pondering this great mystery also. Does it mean the wireless came to the house in a cable? Is that even possible? How does the internet work anyhow? How do cell phones work? DVD players??

The only thing I can run in this house is the wood stove, and I have to have plenty of lighter fluid to make it work.

Do you have a wireless computer? If so, then you have WiFi. Your computer talks to your modem via the wifi network. Your Kindle will talk the same way, but only when you are actively downloading books. Once the book is in your Kindle, it stays there forever.

But, you don't have to have either wifi or 3G in order to download. You can download via the internet onto your computer, then plug your Kindle in with a USB cable to get the books onto your Kindle.

I'm guessing that your dh was saying you don't have wireless internet (through a satellite or other air wave thing). But, you do have a wireless modem in your house. If this is the case, your Kindle will talk to Amazon through your wireless modem (wifi).

If you get the 3G capability, it will also be able to talk through the 3G cell phone system, and will work anywhere there is cell phone coverage.

You can connect your Kindle directly to your computer. A cable is included in the box with the Kindle.

Then you can download books:

* directly from Amazon to your Kindle

* from another site such as Project Gutenberg, to your computer, then to your Kindle

On a long road trip, I once made dh explain to me how a computer AND internet could be built from scratch. As in, mining copper & making plastic.

I don't remember much of his answer, but the mystery of it all bothers me so much less now. :D

(And yeah, my book's in PDF, so it can be read on e-readers.)

I might be able to help out a tiny bit. When I am at Remudamom's house I can't get a cell phone signal. I have to turn my phone off because it searches for a signal the whole time and runs down the battery. We have Sprint. I'm pretty sure their computers are connected through a wireless router.

We live in the boonies. The only internet we can get is via a phone line (slow, slow, slow) or with our Verizon broadband aircard which plugs into our computer via a usb slot. I have no idea how routers work?? I thought they were for people with unlimited cable broadband access...which is impossible here in our particular boonies.

Soooooo....

We bought the Kindle 3G. I didn't want to have to fiddle with plugging the dang thing into my computer whenever I wanted to download a book...I've got enough mp3s and other gadgets that I have to do that with. So the 3G works great for our boonies situation. It was a bit more money, but we are happier for it. :D

My Sony Reader has both 3G and wireless capability, but I've not once used either of them. I physically connect to my computer when I want to load a book. It is easy and quick, and then I know that I always have the book/document backed up on my home computer. The only reason I'd ever use 3G or wireless is if I was traveling. Even then, I can't see why I'd need to load anything new during a trip. I'd just load new books before I left home.

My opinion is that wireless and 3G access are mostly good for *helping* you make impulse purchases. ;)

With the above statements, I'm only talking about using wireless/3G for loading new reading material. Using the 3G or wireless to surf the internet is a completely different issue. I don't have any intention of using my e-reader that way. I'd rather carry around a smart phone or laptop or tablet if I needed mobile internet access.