Menu

Secular logic - a plan for Gr5 onwards?

I cannot get my head around how to tackle logic with dd10. When she was 7 and 8yrs we worked through some logic puzzle type books - Logic Safari, Mindbenders, Analogies, etc. Then I realised I had got caught up in "homeschooling chatter" and was ignoring more elementary aspects of her education while fast-forwarding logic (using TWTM as a blueprint, I mean). That said, she enjoyed the logic puzzles, and was good at them, way better than I was!

Now we are officially in the logic stage, and I am stumped as to what to do. Does anyone care to share what they have done, or what they plan to do, covering all four years of the logic stage?

I know this complicates things and limits the responses I am likely to get, but I am looking exclusively at secular resources.

Nikki

Well, I can share what we're doing/plan to do.

This year, fifth, dd has done Critical Thinking Books 1 & 2. She's doing them through an online course at onlineg3.com, and it's been wonderful.

In the autumn, she'll work through The Snake and the Fox. In the spring of sixth grade, she will read Nonsense (which is, happily, back in print; it was OP for awhile). I also have a list of various suggestions I've compiled on amazon: Secular Logic . Disclaimer: I've looked through only one or two of these. I'm also planning to look through Classical Academic Press's products at the Greenville convention; I want to see if these are usable for us (secular, that is). If they are, we'll include Art of Argument in the spring next year.

Seventh and Eighth grade get murkier. If, if, if we can use the CAP products, we'll use the other two CAP logic books in seventh. Otherwise, I don't know. I know I'll probably have dd do a year of beginning rhetoric in eighth grade if she's up for it, and then have her work through Copi & Cohen's logic text in ninth grade.

On the mathematical logic side, I have two books by Patrick Suppes, Introduction to Logic, and First Course in Mathematical Logic. I will have to find her a tutor for those, though, as there are no answers. They may very well be where we go in seventh or eighth grade. I have no idea.

HTH a little :)

Thanks Kash! That's exactly what I wanted - some sort of idea of how other people are tackling secular logic. I feel competent to tackle history, English, even Maths at this level, but I've had no exposure to logic as a student, and have no idea of how to approach it with dd.

I really like the idea of an online class, although realistically we might have to do a bit of work first. Dd is a somewhat uninspired student (although more than capable) and I've let things slide badly against what I wante to achieve.

Anyone else?

Nikki

Completely secular: Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff (grades 4-6), and Orbiting with Logic by Prufrock Press.

They are short and may be more "puzzle" oriented than you are looking for. They are not formal logic courses. If anyone finds a secular formal logic course for middle school (as opposed to a "how not to be fooled by advertising" course) I'd also be interested.

Thanks - these were some of the ones we did when dd was younger, although I don't think we got as far as Orbiting with Logic. Considering we've taken a break from logic (so to speak) it might be a good idea to start there before moving onto anything more formal.

Those titles are marketed as Christian logic, per their website, so I have not seriously considered them. http://www.fallacydetective.com/about/

Yes, I do know that. I just wonder exactly what it means. For instance, by Christian logic do they just choose to avoid arguments and discussions which might be objectionable to Christians, or does it have more to do with pre-conceived ideas on certain subjects?

The first I could be OK with, but the second would obviously be a problem.

ETA: I realise I asked specifically for secular resources. Fallacy Detective looks quite used-friendly, and like something which would naturally appeal to dd, hence the question.

Edited by nd293