Menu

7th grade- reading questions?!

I am looking ahead into 7th grade for next year and trying to decide on a reading program. My son has been in BJU reading for 5th and 6th grades. Has anyone used the Literature course for 7th? Did you like it? I guess I'm trying to decide if this is something I still need as a 'course' or if I can just have him do independent reading throughout the year. Any thoughts about this? Also, has anyone used any other Literature program that they would like to recommend for this grade level?

I do think that this subject is important. However, as we move forward, there seems to be so much to do that I am finding I might need to trim some subjects. :confused:

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

If you have used a reading program for 5th & 6th grade, I think you would probably benefit from a year of switching it up. :001_smile:

You may find that you like using whole books. Just reading. Or you may find that you like using a curriculum. Or you may find your feet in a combo package.

Either way you won't lose an INCH if you decide to go back to a curriculum. TONS of rinse and repeat in "reading curriculum." Even if you decide to return to BJU for 8th grade, I doubt you will feel ANYTHING but refreshed from doing something "entirely different" for the year. Your child will easily be able to pick up and move on.

One of the HUGE benefits of hsing - providing an individual instruction plan for EACH child for each year - was that I was free to focus on certain things certain years and let other things march in place. VERY often I discovered that when I thought we would be marching in place with something, the kid ended up making HUGE strides forward which changed up our hsing for the better.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Here's our 7th grade history literature list, in case you need inspiration:

The Three Musketeers by Dumas (Usborne Young Reader Series) (1600's)

The Black Tulip by Alexander Dumas (audiobook) (1672)

Sailors, Whalers, Fantastic Sea Voyages: Activity Guide (1700s)

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (audiobook) (1719)

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (1750)

The Last of the Mohicans by J.F. Cooper (audiobook) (1757)

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (1790)

The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie Antoinette (Young Royals books) by Meyer

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy (1792)

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson (1793)

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham (1800)

The Captain's Dog by Roland Smith (1803)

Lewis and Clark for Kids: 21 Activities (1803)

Of Courage Undaunted by James Daugherty (Lewis & Clark) (1803)

The Diary of a Napoleonic Foot Soldier by Jakob Walter (1812)

The Vampyre by John Polidori (1814)

A Line in the Sand: The Alamo Diary of Lucinda Lawrence by Sherry Garland (1836)

Inside the Alamo by Jim Murphy (1836)

The Victorian Internet: The Story of the Telegraph by Tom Standage (1842)

Lyddie by Katherine Paterson (1843)

We're using the 7th grade BJU DVD program, and Mrs Vick teaches both the Grammar half of the program and the Literature half. We haven't started the Literature part of the course yet, but the book looks excellent, and ds11 (he just turned 11, so I keep typing 10 and then have to go back and edit...) thinks the stories look interesting.

I highly recommend the Grammar portion of the class, as it's quite comprehensive, yet isn't page after page of boring diagramming. I like it that Mrs. Vick works through a lot of the worktext in class, and the "homework" assignment is usually quite short.

I'm sure there will be quite a bit of writing involved with the Literature half of the course, but I won't know for sure until we get started on it.

Cat

We are just working through Figuratively Speaking this year in 7th and reading good literature and poetry that illustrates the figurative language she is learning about. I have her keep a running list of examples of what she is learning about for the week then we discuss it and how to use it in writing... stuff like that. Its working out GREAT!

We used BJU reading up to 2nd semester 5th. After 4 1/2 years, we needed a break and did DITHOR. I planned to use BJU for 7th and 8th, but it just did not "click" for us. I found the TM to be more difficult to use than the earlier elementary grades. Dd was not overly fond of the reading selections either. A boy might find them more interesting though. If you can, take a look at the books in person before purchasing. It might be just the right choice for your family.