Menu

Advice needed for how to teach AAS to two 5.75 year olds

lea1

Would you teach them together or do a lesson with each of them separately? They are bound to have different words, sounds, etc. mastered or that need further review. I'm also not sure if there are enough letter tiles to be able to teach them both together. Any advice from those of you who have experience teaching All About Spelling?

I have my twins work separately with AAS. I did buy 2 sets of tiles but I'm really only using the one because I work with them separately. My son always feels like he needs to be ahead of dd and it just doesn't work that well when they work together. Dd is ahead of ds as well so that makes it easier to separately.

My suggestion would be one set of letter tiles, but separate student card packs. You get one with the TM when you buy it, so just one extra would be needed. I'm sure there is some way to use 1 set of cards, but for me the time involved to keep it all straight just wouldn't be worth it.

I am teaching two kids (ages 11.5 and 9) and just have 1 set of letter tiles. My younger just ignores the ones that her brother uses but she hasn't learned yet, or if I'm really on the ball I'll take those off the board before I start her lesson.

You could teach them together but review with each one separately. With the tiles, just have them take turns demonstrating--that's what I did with my kids when I was doing them together. You could start off with review together and just see how it goes. But separate for that part might be easier.

Merry :-)

Those are all good ideas, thanks. They tend to be very competitive so I'm just not sure if it will work having them together. I have been successfully doing OPGTM with them together with no problems but AAS is quite different. I may have just try it and adjust accordingly. Thanks for the feedback.

I hope it all goes well with your decision :)

I wanted to start dd7 on AAS this week and fiddled with the idea of having her sister, whom is 5 start too and immediately knew it'd be better for the both of them and for mama to have them do the entire lesson seperately.

We already do science and FLL together...so I def. wanted them to be able to have the hands on experience and my full attention for spelling and not have to "compete" per say.

We haven't begun yet..but we'll start mid week. Let us know how it ends up going for you though!

my kids aren't the same age but they are doing the same lesson for AAS but I teach it individually. They have different strengths/weaknesses so I teach the lesson twice(yes, I dread doing this) but I do combine the days there are no word lists and do that all together to help my time better.

I only have one student pack and if one child needs help on something I have 2 different colored post it stickies to mark that card to review with the child who needs it. We are finishing up AAS 3 and have no regrets doing it this way.