Menu

What should a sewing room be like?

We just don't use the school room much any more and have decided to convert it to the sewing room.

So what should a sewing room be like? If you have or fantasize about one yourself, how big is the table? If you have a small sewing room I'd love to hear about your space-saving ideas.

If you really love me, you'll post pics.

I don't have pictures, but I have a sewing closet. As a matter of fact, I am taking a much-needed break from sewing costumes for ds10's musical.

We had a unused closet. Well, unused in the sense that there was a bunch of junk in there.

I de-cluttered the closet and took off the doors. We put my "sewing table" (really one of those long tables with folding legs) in the closet. The table just fits in the closet, but is a little too wide for us to put the door back on and close the doors. Poo. But it gives me a good incentice to keep my area reasonably neat!

On the table are my sewing machine, a table-top ironing board, my iron, and a basket for thread and notions for the current project.

On the shelf above are boxes and bins with notions, extra thread and craft supplies. Under the table are large bins with extra fabric.

On the wall are two magnetic knife racks (like this one) for scissors, pins and other tools. I salvaged some Altoid tins and other cute little tins for pins, safety pins, and a misc. tin for the seam ripper, little measuring thingie, the extra pair of small scissors and so on. I can also use the tins to pin up pictures and pattern papers for my current project which is a huge help.

I can hang the clothes I'm working on because I left the bar and hangers in the closet--I didn't think I'd use it much, but it is really easy to access, so I use it often. Some kind of hanging area very near your sewing table might eb a great bonus!

Cat

I have my very first sewing room in our new house, it's the room that was supposed to be an office. It's not completely set up yet but I had more than I thought to put in it. I already had a cutting table and a sewing machine table, now I'm searching for storage. What type of sewing are you planning to do? I do a fair amount of hand sewing so I have found a nice chair and ottoman for a comfy place to sit, along with a task light for that corner. At the opposite side of the room I have a larger lamp for the cutting area/ sewing table. Recently I found a smaller table for our second machine that all three kids are learning to use. Another big consideration for me was a safe spot for my iron and board for pressing. Also consider table height- my cutting table is taller than my sewing table which I've found more comfortable for my back. HTH

I don't have pictures, but I have a sewing closet. As a matter of fact, I am taking a much-needed break from sewing costumes for ds10's musical.

We had a unused closet. Well, unused in the sense that there was a bunch of junk in there.

I de-cluttered the closet and took off the doors. We put my "sewing table" (really one of those long tables with folding legs) in the closet. The table just fits in the closet, but is a little too wide for us to put the door back on and close the doors. Poo. But it gives me a good incentice to keep my area reasonably neat!

On the table are my sewing machine, a table-top ironing board, my iron, and a basket for thread and notions for the current project.

On the shelf above are boxes and bins with notions, extra thread and craft supplies. Under the table are large bins with extra fabric.

On the wall are two magnetic knife racks (like this one) for scissors, pins and other tools. I salvaged some Altoid tins and other cute little tins for pins, safety pins, and a misc. tin for the seam ripper, little measuring thingie, the extra pair of small scissors and so on. I can also use the tins to pin up pictures and pattern papers for my current project which is a huge help.

I can hang the clothes I'm working on because I left the bar and hangers in the closet--I didn't think I'd use it much, but it is really easy to access, so I use it often. Some kind of hanging area very near your sewing table might eb a great bonus!

Cat

Wow! That sounds like you really did a lot with a little. I wish you had a pic.

It was an add-on to our home, so she got to design it just like she wanted it! Everything was built in. She had an L-shaped, counter-height cabinet. The long part of the L ran along a wall, but the short part was a peninsula. That was where she cut out her fabric. Underneath were deep, huge drawers some sized just right for holding patterns. Above on the wall were additional cabinets. I can't recall how she stored her sewing "notions," but I feel certain she had something designed specifically for them. Her sewing table came out from one wall and there was a window just in front of it that let in natural light. The room also contained a built-in desk, an extra refrigerator and our ironing board.

My mom was a great seamstress, but I never learned how to sew at all. :(

I have my very first sewing room in our new house, it's the room that was supposed to be an office. It's not completely set up yet but I had more than I thought to put in it. I already had a cutting table and a sewing machine table, now I'm searching for storage. What type of sewing are you planning to do? I do a fair amount of hand sewing so I have found a nice chair and ottoman for a comfy place to sit, along with a task light for that corner. At the opposite side of the room I have a larger lamp for the cutting area/ sewing table. Recently I found a smaller table for our second machine that all three kids are learning to use. Another big consideration for me was a safe spot for my iron and board for pressing. Also consider table height- my cutting table is taller than my sewing table which I've found more comfortable for my back. HTH

In the past I've just done the odd costume, some simple dresses and skirts (when my daughter was small enough for me to lay out the garment, trace around it, and sew up the sides), and some kitchen curtains.

I'm getting ready to start a skirt of the month club, though. I actually promised to start it in Jan. but I'm not ready. We'll be learning one skirt per month and I can stop there or make several versions of that skirt. I hope to make several versions.

After that I'd like to learn more things. I'm mostly a beginner.

As for hand sewing, I embroider and prefer to do that where everyone else is -- like your comfy chair. Otherwise, the only hand sewing I do would be hems and the like.

I would like a taller than average table. That's a good idea.

It was an add-on to our home, so she got to design it just like she wanted it! Everything was built in. She had an L-shaped, counter-height cabinet. The long part of the L ran along a wall, but the short part was a peninsula. That was where she cut out her fabric. Underneath were deep, huge drawers some sized just right for holding patterns. Above on the wall were additional cabinets. I can't recall how she stored her sewing "notions," but I feel certain she had something designed specifically for them. Her sewing table came out from one wall and there was a window just in front of it that let in natural light. The room also contained a built-in desk, an extra refrigerator and our ironing board.

My mom was a great seamstress, but I never learned how to sew at all. :(

Why did they do that do us? My mom can sew everything, can anything, bake anything. Did she teach me anything? Nope. She just shooed me out from under foot.

Now, if I could design my own . . . well, there'd be a few amenities that wouldn't fit in what I have available now!

I have a sewing room and I love it! When we moved in we had recessed lighting put in the middle of the room right over my cutting table. I have one very similar to this one from Joann's http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd830869

I have my sewing cabinet, a bookcase for craft/sewing/quilting books, a large antique sideboard for storage and an antique armoire also for storage. These two books are filled with ideas for sewing spaces - large and small - http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Sewing-Spaces-Design-Organization/dp/0935278818/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295826193&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Your-Perfect-Quilting-Space/dp/1564775690/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295826253&sr=1-1

Have fun planning and designing!

Mary

Our house here in Texas has a "game room" upstairs; since I also have a living room and a family room downstairs, the game room gets to be the arts & crafts/sewing room. Mr. Ellie built an 8' counter for me with a formica top (on clearance at Lowe's for $10), with cubbies underneath that hold plastic bins. On the wall above it we hung peg board, which is marvelous for hanging all sorts of gadgets; we also have a power strip that's almost the length of the counter--I'll never run out of outlets for glue guns, task lights, electric pencil sharpener, heat gun, and more. Woohoo.

I opted to use a folding table instead of buying a cabinet for my machine because the table has more surface than any cabinets I've seen (and it was way less expensive!). I have a craft table that's been wonderful for cutting; I don't have to bend over or crawl around on my hands and knees. :) I hung a cork bulletin board next to the sewing machine so I can pin pattern directions on it. All my threads are filed on one of those thingies like the one in the sewing room someone linked. Happily, the game room also has a closet, so supplies which don't fit in the cubbies under the counter fit in the closet.

What I love most about my room is that I don't have to clean up projects until they are finished, because the game room is upstairs and no one sees it except Mr. Ellie and me. :D

My "sewing room" also contains the piano, computer and printer, bookshelf and the deep freeze, as well as a large-ish Ikea desk for my sewing. It also has a cupboard (an Ikea wardrobe) for all of the "stuff" other than machines. (Oh, the desk has two shallow drawers for the machine feet, tape measures, scissors etc.) If it doesn't fit, I can't keep it! I cut out on our large dining table.

I know people with lovely airy sewing rooms and am envious! But, still, it works for the moment.

Min

My sewing room is half of our office; the other half is an L-shaped computer desk. I've got a set of shelves in one corner that has all of my patterns and books, small plastic shoeboxes for zippers/buttons/snaps/extra knitting needles/machine feet/etc., iron, ball winder, and so on. To the left of that is my sewing table, which holds my sewing machine, serger, and a small rack for bobbins. To the left of that is wall space where I have my racks for serger thread and sewing thread. I really like having the racks! That's the end of that wall. Turn left, and there is a closet (doorless, currently) that has more shelves, with plastic totes for yarn and fabric, plus some space on the end for the ironing board. To the left of the closet is another table that holds my cutting mat and a big ironing pad for large pieces of fabric. It is small, but it is a very nice space and works well (especially when I keep it tidy).