Menu

So, what does everyone use for American history?

Irishmommy

We have used WP AS1, MFW Adv., and this year Easy Classical. I'm ready to head back to the Ancients :D but it looks like another year of American History for us. When we used WP & Adv it was five years ago.

Edited to add that I meant EC for next year. I've already started ordering so my thinking is off :ack2:

Edited by Homeschooling6

What age/grade do most people start American History? My first grade will be starting History Odyssey Ancients 1. Looks like we won't get to any American History until the Early Modern and Modern books....3rd and 4th grade. Is this reasonable??

But, to answer the original question, my son will be starting All American History as soon as it arrives. I'm hoping we will like it.

How do you use them? Are there lesson plans in the books?

Thanks!

Nope. We read them, I find corresponding books in our library for that time period, and I have my boys do narrations. We also make lapbooks and minibooks to go along with what we're learning. I keep it light, as they're still young.

They are fantastic books--we are really, really enjoying them.

We are doing American history next year, so I thought I'd pose this question to see the various programs everyone uses.:bigear:

Guesthollow as the main thing.

Sometimes we subsitute or otherwise use (but NEVER all, or even many, at once!):

Guerber, Peter Marshall's (Not TCOO author) From Sea to Shining Sea for Children and the 2 sequels, From Sea to Shining Sea by another author that is a book of American folk tales, songs & poems, some books from the WP AS 1&2 lineup (esp. ones by Betsy Maestro), Abeka's 4th gr. U.S. history text, and A Patriot's History of the United States by Larry Schwiekart for me so that I can share bits of paraphrased/synthesized info from it w/ the kids.

Guesthollow alone is p-l-e-n-t-y. It doesn't need all that other stuff. I had most of it around anyhow, and on top of that I'm picky to a fault. I don't recommend the complicated-ness that I make of it to anyone. GH American History 1 & 2 rocks, though! Art history with related lessons, maps, presidents study, and 50 states study included! It's free, too!

Nope. We read them, I find corresponding books in our library for that time period, and I have my boys do narrations. We also make lapbooks and minibooks to go along with what we're learning. I keep it light, as they're still young.

They are fantastic books--we are really, really enjoying them.

I see that your boys are younger than the recommended ages (9-12) for the Drama of... books. Do you find much need for modification/skipping, or would it work for 6 and 8 yos? Also, is there a list anywhere of all the books? How many are there? You are slowly converting me (I've been reading *alot* of American history threads!). Can I see a chapter somewhere?

We're using a combination of the History of US and Time Travelers cds. I use the Hakim books largely to supplement for my 4th grader, otherwise the TT cd-roms are plenty to keep us occupied. I also add in read-alouds, movies/documentaries, and for my 2nd grader (mostly) cooking projects. We're doing this over the space of a year and a half.

Time Travelers has lapbooking, notebooking, and loads of hands-on projects. So far, so good, although we're not very far into it yet! We're also using coloring books (I scan the pages and print them) and Interactive 3D Maps: American History.

I see that your boys are younger than the recommended ages (9-12) for the Drama of... books. Do you find much need for modification/skipping, or would it work for 6 and 8 yos? Also, is there a list anywhere of all the books? How many are there? You are slowly converting me (I've been reading *alot* of American history threads!). Can I see a chapter somewhere?

I think they're fine for that age, assuming you've read a lot to your kids from "more advanced" books (meaning, books that they probably wouldn't or couldn't read to themselves, but can comprehend when read aloud). I will stop and explain things at certain points, if the text is over their heads, but that doesn't happen much.

Does your library have a copy of one of the series, or perhaps all? My library has the first 10 books in the series--Eventually, I'll be purchasing them, i think...but right now I am happy to have the first 10 at the library.

Edited by Halcyon

The order for the Drama of American History (via Moira and Spycar):

Clash of Cultures: Prehistory to 1638, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The Paradox of Jamestown, 1585 to 1700, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The French and Indian War, 1660 to 1763, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The American Revolution, 1763 to 1783, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Pilgrims and Puritans, 1620 to 1676, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Creating the Constitution, 1787, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Building a New Nation, 1789 to 1803, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Andrew Jackson's America, 1821 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Hispanic America, Texas, and the Mexican War, 1835 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The Jeffersonian Republicans, 1800 to 1820, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The Civil War, 1860 to 1866, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Slavery and the Coming of the Civil War, 1831 to 1861, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Reconstruction and the Rise of Jim Crow, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The Rise of Industry: 1860 to 1900, Marshall Cavendish (New York, NY), 1999.

A Century of Immigration: 1820 to 1924, Marshall Cavendish/Benchmark Books (Tarrytown, NY), 1999.

Indians, Cowboys, and Farmers, 1865 to 1910, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.

The United States Enters the World Stage: From Alaska through World War I, 1867 to 1919, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.

Progressivism, the Great Depression, and the New Deal, 1901 to 1941, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.

The Rise of the Cities, Cavendish/Benchmark (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.

United States in World War II, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.

The Changing Face of American Society, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.

The United States in the Cold War, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2002.

The Middle Road: American Politics, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2002.

I've done American history this year in one year with my 2nd grade ds. I've used the Complete Book of US History as my spine along with DK's Encyclopedia and Scholastic's Interactive 3D Maps. I have a group of ladies from this board that I send a list of resources (books for various ages, websites, crafts I find) for each subject that I'm studying. I would be glad to send them all to you. It is not exact daily plans, but I do list page numbers for the books listed above as well as A Beka's 3rd grade history, BJU's 3rd grade history, and CLP's Pioneers and Patriots.

I wanted to cover it in one year and liked the idea of putting it together myself. I've liked the Complete book quite a bit. I feel it is very neutral in it's presentation of history, thus far anyway.

If you are interested you could just pm me your email address. That is how I send out the information.

Good luck choosing!

For our U.S. History/Geography year we used Hakim's Story of US, several of the Collier books, several USKids History books, Trail Guide to U.S. Geography (loved the unit on Lewis and Clark!), "Early American History" DVD series from the Teaching Company, lots of Jean Fritz books and tons of historical fiction.

We started American History this past January using some Sonlight Core 3 materials (some spines, readers and some read alouds) and I bought a bunch of projects and hands on resources to go along with it. I am following the IG and plan on taking about 3 years to complete it all.

I wanted to do a one year US history alongside CC year3. I have decided to use America's History: Land of Liberty volumes 1 and 2 by Vivian Bernstein as our spine. They are written at about a 5th grade level for struggling adult readers. The content is deeper than a basic 3rd or 5th grade US history book, but the reading level makes the topics accessible to younger children.

I am satisfied with this option and have already started pulling together resources from SL, WP, and my bookshelf.

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

The Golden Book History of the United States, plus the Landmark history books (not to be confused with the Landmark History book from SL Core 3).

I have been looking for these--I've actually seen them in my thrift shop but had no idea what they were. Since they only charge 35 cents for books lately, I should have grabbed them!

We're doing American history next year for 2nd grade. I'm thinking of using Guesthollow's curriculum as a jumping off point. It's free!

We are using this right now and I really like it. It gives you a planning guide that is easy to customize and has enough resources that you can always find something at the library. The only thing I needed to add were coloring pages to some of the topics so they could color while I read out loud. But those were easy to find free at the library. We also enjoy her reading choices.

We are using TQ and I also just ordered this to use with it... A Living History of Our World - America's Story. You can see more samples here at the author's blog and on the facebook page. (link on her blog) There will be 3 volumes in all which works out perfect for us. I am excited to get it and get started.

I just found this and I am SOOOOOO excited to try it! We already have the Truthquest guide (AHYS 1)and I am excited to see from the samples that it looks like it lines up pretty nicely with it! Did I mention that I am SOOOOO excited about it! There are also samples here at Rainbow!