Menu

5 gallon plastic buckets to hold flour

Since we are making more homemade bread, I thought it might be wise to buy some larger bulk flour. (We're not to the point of grinding it up ourselves yet. :tongue_smilie:) I was looking at these buckets online and was wondering - is there a store that might sell them locally? I hate to pay equal price in shipping for a bucket.

I am looking at these buckets; scroll to the bottom of the page. They say their plastics & colors are food-safe, which makes me concerned about just using any ol' 5 gallon bucket.

I don't know where "local" is for you, but these are the buckets (with the seal lids, above) I use for storing wheat berries, and I highly recommend them. They are food safe, and seal tight yet remain easy to open. What more could one want? :001_smile:

We purchased them from Pleasant Hill Grain. If you don't use it already, try the SAF yeast they sell. At $3.50 a pound I haven't found a better bargain, and the yeast works every time.

I picked up some 5 gallon buckets from a bread store outlet. They are the buckets that they get their honey in. They are food grade. They lids came with, but were very tight sealing lids and hard to get off each time. I used the buckets and exchanged the lids for Gamma lids, which I ordered.

I definitely would ask around at bakeries and see if you can come up with any for less cost.

Not all 5 gallon buckets will fit the gamma lids. I found out the hard way by buying buckets locally and ordering the gamma lids. I have buckets of flour and oatmeal in my kitchen and have for probably 7-8 years. They work great. We had a moth problem a couple years ago and none got in either bucket.

I got mine for free at the Target bakery. The big 5 gallon buckets that the frosting comes in.

Just ask and they are happy to give them away if they have any.

Also, ask at other grocery stores and places like Wal-Mart.

These are food grade buckets.

That's what I did, too. I got several from Baskin-Robbins ice cream store, of all places.

So are the buckets from regular stores impervious to rodents too? I just got a huge bulk peanut butter one and wondered if it's ok for storing my oats in the garage.

Related question-would moisture be a problem in a sealed bucket in a dry but unheated garage in the summer and winter in the Northeast?

Guest Lipstick6

What about a restaurant supply store? That sounds like a good idea. If I ever get off my hiney and start making bread again (I used to but life is crazy these days) I will keep large buckets in mind.

I get mine at the Walmart bakery and the gamma lids have fit them perfectly.

:iagree:Me too. Make sure you ask for the 5-gal size (they get the white buttercream frosting in them), cuz they also have 3-gal buckets, but the lids aren't nearly so nice.

How much flour do you want to store and how quickly do you go through it? I ask because flour does not keep indefinitely like wheat berries do, it will go bad. Someone on this board could probably tell you how long it can keep, I don't know.

Mary

It will depend a lot on whether it is whole wheat or white flour, too, I think. I've been trying to figure out how to store larger amounts of WW flour, because I keep it in the refrigerator. We are going back and forth between getting another refrigerator (we probably need on anyway,) swtiching to white flour but adding wheat germ and such, and starting to grind our own. :confused: