Menu

BJU Curriculum

mom2agang

I'm looking at using straight BJU for my kids except spelling. We use spelling power and love it!! I don't want to do video but I am open if I need to some year I will. But my question is do you supplement any subject of bju because you feel it's not enough? What do you supplement it with? Do you add to it "extras" to make it a well rounded curriculum?

I've not used complete BJU, but have used various parts and pieces over the years. It is a very complete and solid curriculum.

The only thing I would possibly add would be some read-aloud books, and even those you can get through BJU in their Book-links. I don't think adding anything else to BJU is necessary.

I don't know how many children you have, but keep in mind that BJUP is a classroom program marketed to homeschoolers. For that reason they have BIG teacher guides, sometimes multi-volume for higher grades. In most cases you have to teach or use the DVDs at some level because the student materials don't have everything they need. Also keep in mind that you'll have to work out some way of grading on an ongoing basis.

That said, BJUP has my favorite textbooks. We used the science for a number of years, and I'm currently using their Heritage Studies 7 with my youngest. For that level of Heritage Studies, I'm writing out what my student is to do day-by-day because the Teacher Guide just says "Cover this Chapter in 6-8 days," and then she meets with me at the end of the chapter to discuss and look over her work.

That said, I know several friends who use all BJUP and do fine. It is not as open-and-go as I'd like though, we prefer using some subjects in Christian Light for that reason because it is designed for indepedent work. I would say that it is a complete curriculum if you are pursuing an approach similar to what would be done in the classroom of a Christian school.

With your size family, I would recommend a curriculum that's meant to be used with multiple ages for the content subjects (like history, Bible, science, art, etc.), and then something independent for the 3 R's such as CLE worktexts or Abeka. Well, I say "independent" meaning once a child is old enough to work independently, and to not have to be "taught" the basics 1-on-1. Obviously a child in the learn-to-read stage can't work independently yet.