Menu

Garfield’s Typing Pal

FlutterbyMommy

My kids use it. (5,7, & 9) I like that it tracks their progress and doesn't let them move on until they reach a certain proficiency level. The kids like the videos after they complete each lesson. It is geared better toward younger kids than many of the software programs.

If you are willing to spend the time monitoring their progress, Dance Mat Typing is free on the BBC site. It also has fun videos and music at the end of each lesson, but it doesn't keep them on track each day. They choose which level to do. My kids had a tendency to pick the easier levels or the ones with their favorite videos. :lol:

Angela

Ho boy. We used this when ds was little and obsessed with Garfield. You'll never believe this, but it was a failure. I can't remember exactly what went wrong, but I'll tell you what I do remember: The criteria for moving on was very difficult, and DS could NOT progress. And then, to make it infinitely worse, Garfield gave very curt negative feedback, something like, "You failed. You must repeat this unit." At first it broke my son's heart. Then it made him furious. Then he refused to do it. It was a *total* bust here.

Many years later, my son is a phenomenal typist (for his age). I did have him do a variety of the popular programs. But what made it finally click for him was his own desire to be proficient on the computer.

Ho boy. We used this when ds was little and obsessed with Garfield. You'll never believe this, but it was a failure. I can't remember exactly what went wrong, but I'll tell you what I do remember: The criteria for moving on was very difficult, and DS could NOT progress. And then, to make it infinitely worse, Garfield gave very curt negative feedback, something like, "You failed. You must repeat this unit." At first it broke my son's heart. Then it made him furious. Then he refused to do it. It was a *total* bust here.

Many years later, my son is a phenomenal typist (for his age). I did have him do a variety of the popular programs. But what made it finally click for him was his own desire to be proficient on the computer.

that is too bad, but good to know! my dd LOVES garfield but is very sensitive to negative feedback. of course most kids would be sensitive to "you failed". :glare: we will have to pass this one up.