Menu

Thinking about introducing Latin

ClassicalTwins

My boys have been LOVING Latin, and so have I. It has been a wonderful addition to our homeschool (we started in the beginning of my oldest's 3rd grade, and my 5 year old tags along). We use Getting Started With Latin, which is fantastic, inexpensive, gentle and enjoyable. It has helped my sons' grammar, sentence structure, logic, vocabulary and spelling.

It has become a very important part of our homeschool, and I highly recommend it :)

We started using Lively Latin (LL) earlier this year and absolutely LOVE it. It is user friendly, has video lessons so my son is learning straight from the creator of the curriculum, and it is fun, too.

I want my children to learn Latin because it is the foundational language for so many other languages, including English. It helps them to think in a logical way. It helps them to analyze language. It helps a great deal with English grammar. And, when they get to the years of taking the ACT and SAT tests, they will have a big advantage with knowledge of root bases, vocabulary, diagramming. Well, I could go on and on, but you get the idea. :001_smile:

http://www.livelylatin.com - Can't say enough good about it!

Most long words in English come from Latin. Grammar, logic, attention to detail.

For me personally, I've just always wanted to learn Latin but never had enough motivation to learn it on my own just for fun.

I am working through my own Latin Alive Student Textbook and DVDs. They were cheaper than the Latin for Teachers alternative I was eyeing. They are working well, and I will hopefully later be able to re-use the DVDs and Teacher's manual with my children when they are older.

I just started my daughter on Latin for Children A, it is going well so far.

(Getting the DVDs for Latin Alive is allowing me to get by with just the student book and answer key for LfC, I don't need the DVDs for LfC if I stay far enough ahead in Latin Alive.)

I am just getting ready to begin Latin with my 9yo and 8yo. We are going to use Prima Latina with the DVDs. My 18yo began Latin studies LAtina Christiana 1 and 2 and Lingua Angelica) when she was 14 and took it for 2 years. It wasn't one of her favorite things but she is constantly using the knowledge of language she received from it and pointing things out about word roots. It also helped her when she was learning scientific terms in high school because the pronunciations and words were familiar to her. She also took 2 years of Koine Greek and that too has really helped her with grammar. I am really looking forward to learning Latin and Greek with my younger ones.

I've come to the point where I can really drop grammar because of the Latin.

There is nothing that teaching you the mechanics of your own language like learning another one.

:iagree: I have said this over and over to friends of mine who are always inquiring as to why I teach Latin.