Menu

MCT Caesar's English

This question is for people who LOVE CE. I didn't buy it this year with the Town series b/c dd is doing Latin & I didn't want to duplicate effort by doing vocabulary as a separate subject, but I keep seeing such raves for this program. Why do you love it so much? If you are doing CE, are you also doing Latin &/or Greek? Does it feel redundant at all?

I'm willing to be convinced to buy the program for next year :D

I'm using CE1. We are also using VFCR A and LL1. There is some redundancy, but it is mutually strengthening if that makes sense, rather than being tedious.

As for why I like CE--I love the way he elaborates on the words in particular with all the uses in various classic books. I think the stem stuff is weaker, and we didn't end up using the Word Within a Word because it is all stems.

We love Caesar's English. Ds12 started it this year. The chapters alternate Latin stems with vocabulary words. I can't count the number of times that we have come across those words in his reading! It has been very helpful- and he's proud when he comes across a word his 15 y.o. brother doesn't know.

We read the lesson together over 2-3 days, and he makes flash cards. Each day, he reviews the cards, and does any other activities (like word searches). On Friday, there is a cumulative test.

We are doing Latin. He started Latina Christiana I last year, and this year switched to Minimus. We've discovered that lots of translation is much more fun. He's going to start Cambridge Latin this week (going slowly, because he's only in 6th grade). Obviously, there is some overlap between Latin and Latin stems, but there are lots of words and stems that he doesn't know.

I also like the way MCT shows how the words are used in literature. The lesson is more like a discussion about language than just a vocabulary workbook. Thumbs up here!

We love Caesar's English. Ds12 started it this year. The chapters alternate Latin stems with vocabulary words. I can't count the number of times that we have come across those words in his reading! It has been very helpful- and he's proud when he comes across a word his 15 y.o. brother doesn't know.

We read the lesson together over 2-3 days, and he makes flash cards. Each day, he reviews the cards, and does any other activities (like word searches). On Friday, there is a cumulative test.

We are doing Latin. He started Latina Christiana I last year, and this year switched to Minimus. We've discovered that lots of translation is much more fun. He's going to start Cambridge Latin this week (going slowly, because he's only in 6th grade). Obviously, there is some overlap between Latin and Latin stems, but there are lots of words and stems that he doesn't know.

I also like the way MCT shows how the words are used in literature. The lesson is more like a discussion about language than just a vocabulary workbook. Thumbs up here!

Interesting! We just started Cambridge this semsester and ds9 is zooming through it! I was planning on one stage taking about 3 weeks using the student text, workbook, audio CD & online resources but he is flying through the chapters in just 10 days or so! Just saying don't underestimate your ds!! :D This is ds9's (and my!) first exposure to Latin and we are really enjyoing it! :)

One thing about Cambridge is that it is NOT very strong on grammar (not yet, anyway)--is this something CE could supplement with? I am really trying to justify not doing English Grammar next year and am looking for a program that will help with our Latin Grammar. Is CE more grammar or just vocabulary?

One thing about Cambridge is that it is NOT very strong on grammar (not yet, anyway)--is this something CE could supplement with? I am really trying to justify not doing English Grammar next year and am looking for a program that will help with our Latin Grammar. Is CE more grammar or just vocabulary?

CE is only vocabulary. Cambridge isn't very strong on grammar, you're right. It's best to have a strong understanding of English grammar going into it. You will probably also need to supplement with something stronger in Latin grammar eventually.

CE is just vocabulary- it does talk about how a word could be used as different parts of speech, but that's it for grammar. We are using Analytical Grammar.

I used Cambridge Latin with ds15, when he was younger, as a supplement to Latina Christiana I & II. He loved the translations at the beginning of the book, but it became difficult quickly. We did read all the readings in English. Ds12 loves translation, and I'm hoping that it will help to cement the Latin he already knows. I think it will be more work on my part (to make sure he gets the Latin grammar), but it will be fun. I also have Scribblers, Sculptors, and Scribes, a collection of short sentences to translate. Many of them are actual graffiti and inscriptions from Roman times (fun!). One of the first is "MARCVS SPENDVSAM AMAT", Marcus loves Spendusa, written in Pompeii. Ds12 couldn't believe that the Romans wrote on walls!

:iagree: You can really tell how much MCT loves words and CE has been the jumping-off point for some great discussions in our house.

My DD is just about finished with CE1 and will be starting CE2 soon. She hasn't started Latin yet because I'm planning to use LRTEG with her and I want her to have a stronger base in English grammar first. So the roots are mostly new to her. We usually spend 2 weeks on those lessons because I also have her work through the Prufrock Press Red Hot Root Words exercises.

DD10 has been doing Latin for several years with the LC series, and is now working through First Form Latin. She LOVES Caesar's English. The sections with the stems are more of a review, and the alternate sections with the vocabulary contain a lot of new information. We don't spend a ton of time on it - maybe 10-15 minutes per day and we just discuss selections and have a great time.

It is absolutely worth it and not redundant at all, imo.

Thank you all for explaining why you like the program! The only part of Latin dd even sort of enjoys is the translating & being able to figure out meanings of English words b/c she knows the Latin root so she'd probably enjoy this program.

If I start CE 1 now & then continue on with 2 next year, but don't do the rest of the Voyage series until the year after that will that be a problem?