Menu

When to memorize

Whereneverever

She's doing PM 1B? Singapore has them start memorizing tables in 2A when you cover multiplication by 2s and 3s. I'd wait til then and work on them as they come up in the curriculum.

She's finished PM 1b and we are working topically on things right now while I try to figure out what to do in math. :tongue_smilie:

What do you do with them until then? Interesting.

We don't start any formal fact practice until 3rd grade or so, until then we talk about math and do our math curriculum. I mean they keep using facts and many are memorized, but we don't try to get them all learned quickly until then. Until then they just skip count or figure out all the problems over and over and over (part of the way the eventually just learn many of them).

In the spring of 3rd grade (usually after some other subject has finished), we start math facts. In third we do + and -. 100 problems in 4 or 5 mins. In fourth we do = and - again, 100 problems in 3 min. and start on x and /. If needed we will get all four operations done by the end of 5th grade 100 problems in 3 min.

I know there are lots of ways to memorize facts and even if you do timed tests you don't have to do so many problems, but part of the reason we waited so long is because flash cards make us all scream and it takes until about 3rd grade until my boys writing skills don't hold them back on a timed test.

We are going to work on them now, you really don't need to know them cold until 3rd grade or 4th grade math. My daughter knows them all but very slow, it slows her down a bit.

I expect my son will learn them a year or two earlier than my daughter learned them. But, she learned phonics a year or two earlier than him!