Menu

how much do you spend on birthday gifts??

for your kids?? And how many gifts do you give? My kids don't get gifts from any relatives other than both sets of grandparents and us...and since my son's b-day is so close to Christmas I am having a hard time coming up with gift ideas for him...and I hate sitting at the computer looking through pages and pages on Amazon hoping an idea will hit me...it all seems so dumb...like it is forced or something...by the way, he is turning 9 and I need ideas...if you have any..I am all ears.

DS7 turns 8 on Feb 6th, so not much gap between that and Christmas.

Like you, our children only gets gifts from us and MIL. My parents don't send anything and my siblings don't either. DH is an only child so it's just MIL/FIL on his side. Oh wait, DH's bio father and wife usually do send a Target gift card. MIL usually goes overboard on quantity, but the quality is lacking. She will usually do one-two nice gifts (that I specifically gave her a list of) and then alot of add on junk that she buys from the flea market. I am talking cheap China toys that break the next day:glare:. But this year she mentioned she might do a trampoline as a joint gift for DS7 and DS4 (his b'day is in March). so not sure how much other stuff she will get.

It varies year to year and it tends to raise as the children age. When we went and looked at toys at Target last week to "get ideas'", we literally walked through every "boy" aisle twice and the only thing he saw was a few Star Wars guys. So he probably get a few of those.

My for sure list :

-Refurbished iPod touch $149 (waiting for them to come back in stock!!!)

-Camel Bak (back pack that has water pouch in it) $36

-Playmobile Safari thing: $69.00

other ideas:

-Gamestop gift card for full price of game so about $65 (includes tax)

-new chair for School room (they all have their "own" chairs, and his is a cheapy $19 office chair....want to get him one with a bit of padding.)

-accessories for Playmobile Safari thing

-......and nothing else comes to mind......he's hard this year. He's in that stage between little kid and big kid.

So it is looking like $300-$400 this year will be our budget.

Then we always do something fun for birthdays, go out to some "adventure". Considering going to Great Wolf Lodge for the night, but might go cheaper and do Children's Musuem and bowling. Still mulling that over.

My boys like getting special outings for their birthdays. Maybe movie tickets?

Most years we only get them a small gift ($25) and then an at home birthday party.

The past year and a half have been so terrible for us and our boys have been so understanding and sweet, we're going to do a few special things this year.

My ds7's bday is also in February. We live in the desert so I'm going to push his party a few weeks into March and we're going to take his friends to do his most favority activity...fishing! (Yes, we fish in the desert.) Instead of goodie bags, we found kid poles on clearance for $8-so everyone gets to take home their own pole.

AND...he's a very talented archer so it was really time to get him his own bow. We've been paying on it for several months and it should be his by his birthday. I tried to keep it a surprise but our friends at the shop/indoor range, couldn't keep it on the downlow. :) The guys at the shop were so excited for my little guy.

Anyway, that's what we do.

Ideas for toys that we like:

Legos

Bionicles

Pokemon

Wii games

DS games

K'nex

HTH and happy birthday to your little man!

We do Christmas really big for both kids, and tend to put birthdays at around $50 plus a 1-on-1 date night with mom & dad, and the party. DH & I both have fairly large, close families, though. So our families usually do a 1:1 name draw gift exchange at Christmas, and get something nice for each child for birthdays. Also, MIL is a major spoiler, and tends to go big for every event (or often no event...just shopping), so we try to balance that out & show them a little moderation.

I spend $100 on everything for their birthdays-including party, gift, outing, etc. They tend to get more for Christmas because I find so many good deals. I should be better at holding some things for birthdays. I buy the stuff that never seems to go on sale for birthdays-like playmobil or sports equipment.

My kids have a joint party because they are close in age and their birthdays are all in a 4 week window! This is always at the big pizza place in town with huge climbing jungle-gym stuff. When they get older this will change, but right now the oldest just turned 6yo so they eat this kind of thing up! As far as close to Christmas, one of my kids is a Christmas Eve baby, so ya close!

As far as amount spent. We usually go for about $40 a kid. This usually gets them 1 nice gift that they wanted. We will throw in a bit more if it is a little over that. Honestly they usually make a haul at the joint birthday party, so I dont feel the need to add any more to it!:tongue_smilie:

We spend a bit more at Christmas though.

$75-150 on a gift and the party. If they don't have a party, I spend more on the gift.

Ds16 didn't want a party this year just an airbrush. He wanted a basic model, but I bought him a professional one because I knew he would out grow it too fast. He is hard to buy for because he doesn't want much. One year he had so many presents that he hadn't decided on (just saving the money) I used it and bought him a laptop instead.

Dd12 got a 20gal fish aquarium and supplies.

We budget about $50 for gifts. As for cake...my children are welcome to make one request for whatever dessert they want..whether it be a cake, cheesecake, sundaes, cupcakes, sugar cookie pizza...you name it...they get it made! :)

We had parties and all that jazz for 4 years in a row..but we stopped doing that because of the stress it caused the household. So now we let them pick what they want from a list of choices and they are welcome to have a friend or two to hang out with them and we cover the cost of the friend(s).

I don't have a set amount, so what I spend will vary from kid to kid and from year to year. I do the bulk of my gifting at birthdays because the kids get SO MUCH from extended family and friends at Christmas.

I don't do parties, but I let the kids pick a lunch/dinner and 'experience' and bring along a friend or two. Medieval Times, movies, ball game, rock climbing weekend, amusement park, etc. That can range from a few bucks to several hundred, depending. Gift-wise, we have traditional gifts (new shoes, new jeans, gift cards to certain stores and restaurants) and I buy other stuff just depending on the kid and the year.

Last year I spent about $400 on my younger child and about $100 on my older child; the year before I spent significantly more on my elder child. I don't really pay attention to 'fairness' in terms of spending or number of gifts, just ... some years are bigger than others, and it all evens out in the wash. The kids are old enough to get that, and hopefully they remain appreciative of it as they mature.

For our own kids' birthday presents - maybe $15-20. Usually one gift, plus maybe a book. What subjects does he enjoy learning???

anything sports related...no subjects, really....I wish it weren't true, but it is. My son is very busy and very active. It is cold and snowy here...he was born in the wrong time of year...the ideals gifts would be outside gifts...but not in the winter. That being said, we are getting him a stomp rocket...a few books, a couple warm fleece tops and a game...but I am still looking for one or two more things...something to suggest to g-parents.

I don't usually buy gifts, to be honest. This year I bought gifts ahead of time- they are $10 each. I have done big parties in the past(at the house w/ homemade cake and food). However, I think we might do it a little different this year. Maybe take the kids on our own somewhere.

It really depends!

In fact, I need to sit down and look at how much we spent for my middle son for Christmas/birthday. I try to keep it the same.

I think around $150. The problem for us is that their b-days are all within two months of CHristmas!

I need to plan better for next year! I have an ING account set up now for gifts.

Dawn

My son turned 8 today, and his gift was a tool box that my husband went out and got him, with a few tools inside. My husband wants to add to the tool box each year, and also (hopefully) start a project together so that my son can learn how to use the tools.

That is such a great idea! The special time with Dad...priceless.

We don't really spend a set amount. It depends on what we want to get them and what we can afford at the time. But it's usually under $100.

One gift, which might cost anything from $40-100. We try to get them something they really will enjoy, so that's more important than the pricetag. We also let them choose an activity for the day -- park, playland, museum, bowling, etc. -- and what they'd like for dinner. If it works out, we'll invite a couple of little friends over for dinner or bring another family along on the outing.

Oh, and Daddy always tries to take the day off work so we can celebrate the child for the whole day as a family.

...by the way, he is turning 9 and I need ideas...if you have any..I am all ears.

My son (only 7) got a spy gear video watch for Christmas & he absolutely loves it. He also got a set of nice walkie talkies. For his birthday, we plan to buy him a flint and some outdoor gear for camping & hiking. He likes Man Vs. Wild a lot though & his favorite book is My Side of the Mountain.:)

Susan