Menu

How late do your kids stay up till on Saturday night?

They leave for church at 830AM.

My son is low-maintenance ... no hair to worry about, showers and sets out clothes the night before. Really it's just a matter of brushing teeth, washing face, getting dressed, and taking a piece of fruit or something to tide him over until after-church brunch. He stays up until about midnight, and wakes up at 8-815AM. He could probably stay up later (and often asks to) but I only allow that on occasion just to remind him why he needs at minimum 8 hours of sleep (he gets cranky and a pain to be around the following day, otherwise). He's 10. It helps that he has sports games on Sundays, too; the few nights I've let him stay up past midnight, his game suffers. That's usually good for a month or so of him not asking me to let him stay up later LOL.

My nephew is 13. He stays up past midnight, but most of that is reading in bed. He's not UP up, doing stuff around the house, or watching tv or playing games or something- you know? They leave for church at 730AM. He takes about 30 minutes to get ready in the morning ... has longer, higher-maintenance hair and "needs" to shower in the morning to wake up, etc.

I'm sure I'll be an oddball response. We're night owls and don't go to church, which plays a part in it.

My kids go up to bed at 8pm and their satellite boxes turn off at 11pm on Sun-Thurs and Midnight on Fri and Sat. That's when they hunker in for sleep, unless they fell asleep watching something.

Oh and they are 11.5, 9 and 5.5.

Younger DS 13 wants to stay up late on the weekends but Saturday night its harder because we get up early for church and he just drags if he stays up late. How late do yours stay up til on a Saturday night if you have church?

My 16yodd stays up very late every night, even on school nights. I don't even know you, and I'm embarrassed to say she's up until 1 a.m. every night. I'll give the teen excuse, her body clock is different. She and I tried to settle between a happy medium--my insistence that she have some sort of bedtime and her desire to set her own. (I don't think I won!) She probably does not get enough sleep; I wake her every day at 8:30, except for Saturdays, when she sleeps in unless we have something else going on.

My 12yods is a different story. He's not pleasant to be around if he doesn't get to bed on time. He's pushed his bedtime back until 10:30. Occasionally I will let him read until 11 in his room. We don't even have to leave for church until 10:30, but I would be reluctant to let him stay up any later than 11. I don't want to deal with attitude.

For me, it's not worth a bedtime battle for my dd. But it's worth it with my ds.

I love church and God is awesome, but I'll never understand why we have to worship Him so early. LOL We stay up late, but not too late, on Saturday nights. Around 11, except for the under 12 crowd. However, as homeschoolers, we try not to be bummed about having to get up *earlier* on the weekends than we do during the week. We stay up til at least 11 most days of the week, so I can't complain. We're just opposite of "normal" society in yet another regard! LOL!!

None of my kids have a "bedtime".

My 17yo is very much a night owl. She has been known to stay up until 3 or 4am. When she started having trouble sleeping because of her erratic sleep schedule, I encouraged to go to bed at 1am (2am at the latest) and try to get up around the same time most days. I suggested that she try for 11am as a wakeup time (classes are all at the cc and her earliest starts at 1:30pm). She has to get up at 8am on Tuesdays so she can drive my 12yo to her sewing class while I'm teaching a physics class.

My 15yo used to absolutely insist on being in bed no later than 10:30pm. When she hit 12yo, her clock shifted. Now she goes to bed between 11pm and midnight. She generally gets up by 8am.

My 12yo has been having sleep issues for the past year. Aside from having a hard time falling asleep in the first place, she has often been waking up in the middle of the night for several hours. She tries to be in bed by 10:30pm. She used to wake up at 7am every morning, but with her sleep issues, she has been waking up for the day any time between 4am and 9am. She really really HATES it when she wakes up at 4 or 5am and can't get back to sleep at all.

My dh and I are both night owls. We both go to bed between 12:30 and 2am, although I do try to be in bed by 1am every night. We get up between 8 and 8:30am.

The kids have lights out at 8-8:30 pm every night of the week.

The grown ups are lights out by 10-10:30pm at the latest.

We get up at 6-6:30 every day of the week.

We are not night owls so no one really wants to stay up late. :D

8 to 8:30 every night? I vaguely remember those days.... :) I will make 13 go to bed at 10 or 10:30 on Saturday nights though.

We go to church on Saturday nights so I basically let my kids stay up as late as they want to. They also get to watch a movie on the weekends too (not during the week though). They stay up til they get tired and usually go to bed no more than an hour after their usual bedtime.

I am a bit of a sleep nazi but since my kids reached about 15, their urge to stay up late seems so strong, so to some extent I am surrendered to it nowadays- especially since we are on summer hols here.

Electronics need to be off at 10pm though. After that, I dont control it so much- and neither teen is reading much. I think they listen to music though.

When they were younger, up until 14 or 15yo, bedtime was strictly 9pm for years.

Kids need more sleep than 8 hours. Teenagers need 9 hours and 15 minutes average. Sleep deficit is a major issue in our society and the cause of many emotional and physical issues. Not to mention grumpiness. So I count backwards from when I need them to be up, and I get them to bed, as much as possible, 9.5 hours before that. They both agree with me that they need more thna 9 hours, but that they can handle less for a few nights as long as they can then catch up and get up to 12 hours or so another night.

When they start at school/college in a couple of weeks, we will do the same. Work out what time they need to get up and count backwards to find a reasonable bedtime. Then on weekends they will get to stay up later, and sleep in.

Guest CarolineUK

Last night, which was fairly normal for a Saturday night, we all went to be at 10.30 pm. I then read to DS11, DS9 and DS6 in my bed, while DH read to DS3. DS6 and DS3 fell asleep fairly quickly, but I continued to read to DS11 and DS9 until about 11.15 pm. They were up by 9.30 am this morning and off to Church at 10.25 am. The younger two and I don't go to Church, so although we were up at about the same time as the others we had a slightly lazier morning.

Younger DS 13 wants to stay up late on the weekends but Saturday night its harder because we get up early for church and he just drags if he stays up late. How late do yours stay up til on a Saturday night if you have church?

I sympathize!

Both of my boys voluntarily will go to bed earlier sometimes. They are athletes and want to perform well, so they actually are making good choices about sleep, eating, etc.

When they have nothing going on Sunday that they really want to be fresh for, they stay up until 10 or 10:30. We leave for church at 9:30, so they can get up on the late side and still be ready. But they do sometimes drag, and they sometimes come down dressed in things that are not okay for ever our relatively casual church, and we have the whole, "Not wearing that" dialog.

None of my kids have a "bedtime".

My 17yo is very much a night owl. She has been known to stay up until 3 or 4am. When she started having trouble sleeping because of her erratic sleep schedule, I encouraged to go to bed at 1am (2am at the latest) and try to get up around the same time most days. I suggested that she try for 11am as a wakeup time (classes are all at the cc and her earliest starts at 1:30pm). She has to get up at 8am on Tuesdays so she can drive my 12yo to her sewing class while I'm teaching a physics class.

My 15yo used to absolutely insist on being in bed no later than 10:30pm. When she hit 12yo, her clock shifted. Now she goes to bed between 11pm and midnight. She generally gets up by 8am.

My 12yo has been having sleep issues for the past year. Aside from having a hard time falling asleep in the first place, she has often been waking up in the middle of the night for several hours. She tries to be in bed by 10:30pm. She used to wake up at 7am every morning, but with her sleep issues, she has been waking up for the day any time between 4am and 9am. She really really HATES it when she wakes up at 4 or 5am and can't get back to sleep at all.

My dh and I are both night owls. We both go to bed between 12:30 and 2am, although I do try to be in bed by 1am every night. We get up between 8 and 8:30am.

this sounds like us, I try to be in bed by 1:00am and up at 8:30. My 13 yo usually keeps my schedule but my 17 yo may not go to sleep till dad leaves for work at 5:00. This seems to work for him and he and dh get guy talk time. He likes do do his school work at night and sleep all day.

We are all night owls except for my dh, he goes to sleep at 9:00 and gets up at 5:00.

ohhh...... I've been bad lately. They've been staying up WAY too late! Until say 1:30am............... :tongue_smilie: I know, I know! but they're READING!

Our "normal" schedule: Sun-Thurs. 7:30-8:30 read. 8:45 go to sleep. Fri. & Sat. stay up until 9:30/10pm.

Ages 11, 12 and 14 yrs.

My kids don't tend to go to sleep til somewhere between 10 and 11 PM every night (they're in bed before then but may read or play their DS's or watch TV for a while or some such). (They're teen, 10, and 5). They sleep til 9 AM-ish (with the exception of my teen who tends to wake up between 7 and 8 depending on whether she has to go to school that day).