Menu

WWY take a friend in the hospital?

DS' best friend had his appendix rupture today. There were some complications and he ended up in surgery for hours. He's finally out and stabilized.

Tom'w I'm going to go see his mom (a very good friend of mine) and I'm wondering what would be the most useful thing to take. I'm thinking not books or anything that requires her brain to engage too much. I don't think she's up for that yet. What about a pillow or blanket for hanging out at the hospital? Some chocolate?

What would you want in this situation? Thanks.

I'd pack a little bag for her with some nice smelling hand lotion (hospitals dry me out like crazy), some tea if you know she likes it (and maybe even a travel coffee mug so it will stay hot), a cozy blanket. Maybe even an iPod she can borrow if you have the same taste in music. Likely the kiddo is sleeping a lot and she's just "there". Actually a book or magazines is a nice idea. None of this would have to be new, just some thoughtful things she can return when they get to go home.

Definitely chocolate!

Magazines that don't require much engagement. The greatest thing anyone ever brought me in the hospital was a People magazine (back when I comprehended such things).

Flowers or balloons to make things pretty. I also appreciated these very much.

Food might not be a good choice, as she might be on a restricted diet.

Are they in a hospital a distance from home or locally?

Honestly, the best gifts I've received while my son has been hospitalized were when someone I trusted sat with him so I could take a walk around the hospital grounds, go the hospital library, etc. Most parents won't want to leave their child alone and to just be able to walk off floor is a gift or has been to me.

Magazines and similar are actually good I think. If she's away from home and you feel comfortable you might ask if she wants specific snacks or needs an extra blanket, pillow, sweater, or etc.

I agree with the asking if she wants you to sit with her son while she takes a walk. There is nothing more tiring than sitting in the hospital doing NOTHING all day. Even better yet, if your dh could go and sit with her son while the 2 of you go for a walk and eat in the cafeteria, that would be great.

My dh was in the hospital with a heart attack last week. 3 times I had someone stop in and go down to the cafeteria with me to eat. That was such a nice break, even if only for 20-30 minutes.

Another nice thing was my friends that emailed and called and we chatted. It would depend on if that would disturb her son or not. It really helped to distract me while dh was in surgery and when things weren't going as well.

Does she have other kids at home? Having someone to care for them is a very nice thing. Meals when they get home are wonderful as well.

Oh, for her in the hospital, ask if there is any special coffee or pop she would like you to bring up.

If you're friendly enough to call, and there's still an adult at home, you could see if she needs anything from home.

I had a friend who ended up going to the hospital with her baby and took the family car. This meant her DH couldn't bring her anything (and he couldn't take the kids with him to the hospital anyway because it was RSV season). I stopped by the house and picked up a backpack with a change of clothes, her toothbrush and cell charger, two changes of clothes for the baby, etc. They were only going to be there overnight, but it's so nice to be able to put on a clean shirt and brush your teeth. Oh, and I brought a couple of light paperbacks from my stash.

I sat with her and had lunch, ran out for coffee, held the baby so she could use the bathroom and wash up without needing a nurse (or worrying about the baby crying alone), etc. Basically - just being an extra set of hands.

Oh! You could also see about bringing some small shelf-stable food thing - like those cup o'noodles or the beef aroni things that are in the heat and eat containers. There's probably a microwaves on the floor that she can use and then she could have something to eat when it's not mealtime. Assuming she'd eat that stuff. Or something similar. Not a whole lot of stuff: hopefully she won't be there long, and there typically isn't a huge amount of storage space in a hospital room.

I'd ask her if she could use some ear plugs. I've spent many nights in the hospital with my kids when they had surgery. The first time we used them, my son was 6 years old. We both slept just fine for the first time ever in a hospital.

I'd also ask her if she wants me to bring her some food. Every time I've had to stay in a hospital with my kids, I've yearned for palatable food. My friends and DH would bring me something from a restaurant, which was very much appreciated because I greatly dislike hospital food.

My kids were always at hospitals close to where we lived, and I really appreciated it when a close friend would stay with my child so I could go home for a few hours.

Just offer to sit with her for company for a spell. When my dd had her gall bladder out hubby saw a neighbor waiting for his wife in the out patient area and he appreciated that I was able to go sit for a while with him while his wife (a cancer patient ) was having a procedure down. He had been sitting there alone for a couple hours already, worrying.

Then, offer to stay with the boy while the mom goes to the cafeteria or runs home to change clothes, shower (maybe call ahead and ask when she'd like you to stop by so she can run home or go eat).

All the things mentioned above are great.

Another thought would be lip balm since hospitals are so dry.

Does she have a hobby like knitting or something to keep her hands busy.

When my ds was hospitalized, my friends brought in everything I needed to weave a basket. Everything pre-cut etc. It was the best medicine.