Menu

Help with the kindle thing.

Is the cheaper one any good? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm not willing to spend a bunch, (I'm going to buy a carriage hopefully, and I'm betting I'll use it more than a kindle) Anyhow......can you access the internet with it??? How do you download books? I tried to look up some titles and couldn't find them? I love gadgets but I'm a slooow learner.

What does 3G mean?

3G--without getting into too many details--allows the Kindle to access the internet the same way that cell phones do. The cheaper WiFi version can access the internet either from a home wireless network, AT&T WiFi hotspots (I have read about this but have not used it), or to your computer using a cable and a USB port on your computer.

I have the cheaper model, and it works fine, but we have a home wireless network--if you don't you'll have to buy books on the computer and then transfer them to the Kindle device or find an AT&T WiFi hotspot. My PC does not like the Kindle and sometimes when I've tried to connect it using the cable, the computer shuts down and declares that it's experienced a "thermal event".

There is an experimental browser included, but I tried it once and didn't bother again. I buy books from the Kindle by accessing our home wireless, and then share my purchases among my PC, laptop, and i-pod.

Just got one with Christmas money :o). Yes the cheaper one is good, as long as you have a home wireless network. I can easily access the kindle store with it. Online stuff is pretty tiny print, although you can zoom in. Navigating is sort of tedious, but it can be done. I've been on my facebook etc. for example. It isn't hard to log in at hot spots. Kindle store has lots of free books. Very easy to get, and they tell you what to do (there are prompts). My best book resource other than amazon has been project gutenberg. You can literally download a catalog of all of the books they have in mobi format, and *from the catalog* (now conveniently on your kindle), search by author, title, whatever, and download a book in about 20 sec. No joke. I love it. I spent 2 hrs one night paging through the catalog, and never came to the end of it, I kid you not. Every old classic of whatever genre, you can think of. From P&P et al, to all the collected writings of Abraham Lincoln and everything inbetween. It's frankly awesome. I love my kindle. It's a little unnerving at times...I'll be reading away, and occasionally I'll flick my finger up like I need to flip a page, then I catch myself LOL! Watch me start pushing away at the edge of my paperback next time, thinking I can digitally page turn...Ha! I love having my downloaded books *right there*. When you stop reading, it just keeps that place, and when you come back you're in the right place. It's easy to bookmark places. Easy to go from one book to the next if you do that kind of thing. One thing, tho, make sure you get a book light, and a cover (or you could make your own cover like I did per info online). I could go on rapturously, but I'll quit.:001_smile:

I don't know how much you know, so apologies if it seems like I'm talking down!

The cheaper model needs to access the internet through something else, like using a wireless network (occasionally available for free in public places, or in your home if you have a wireless network set up), or by plugging the device into your computer.

The 3G model can connect to the internet all on its own, anywhere you are, unless you're really out in the sticks where you don't have cell phone coverage.

Considering having a cell phone that can browse the web costs almost $100 a month, having something that can do (admittedly simple and black and white) browsing for free, it's definitely worth the extra cost. I don't own a cell phone, and I've used it quite a few times to look up directions, operating hours, etc..

In addition, you can browse the Amazon store and download new books from anywhere, without plugging into your computer, or finding a free wireless spot.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1295745197/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A!133142011%2Cn%3A2245146011&page=1

Here is a list of free classics for the Kindle. When you buy a Kindle through Amazon, it is automatically linked to your Amazon account. You basically click to download a book on your computer or in the store through the Kindle itself, and it is automatically downloaded to your Kindle. It's very convenient and very simple. I've got about 25 books on mine, and have only spent about $10 (on 3 of them).

I suggest you get the Amazon leather cover for it (about $30?). It's designed for the Kindle to snap right into it using the little holes on the side of the device. Third party covers (I believe) use elastic bands to hold it in, which doesn't seem as secure.

First, the only time you need an internet connection is to download books. You can read the books that are on your Kindle without accessing the internet.

Second, you have two options for accessing internet. You can use a wireless hotspot. If you have wireless in your home, this is really all you need. You can also access from any free spot in public. Where I live, that is pretty much any fast food joint or coffee shop. Or, if you have the more expensive Kindle, you can access the internet using the 3G feature. This means that anywhere ATT provides coverage (check the ATT coverage map/my town is not covered) you can have internet for free over your Kindle. It works great for downloading books while at kids' activities or sitting on the beach. Perhaps you could download something while on the back of a horse if you like to ride and read:lol:. You can also browse the internet with the newest Kindle. It is not really all that great, but it will work.

Clear as mud?

Where's an icon for something shooting past the top of my head with the speed of lightning?????

Oops...my apologies...I hope some of the other folks' posts are more helpful. I'm new at this, and don't really understand enough to explain it properly. :blush:

The only difference between the 3G and the cheaper model is that the cheaper model is somewhat lighter and thinner than the 3G because it doesn't have the 3G hardware which connects the Kindle to a cell tower. The quality of materials and features (except for the 3G, of course) are the same.

Also, you don't need to sign up for 3G phone service with AT&T; it's free with your Kindle. Same thing if you are at a coffee shop that has AT&T wireless--the Kindle connects itself when you turn on the wireless--no charge for that, either.

Dh says it's worth it for Amazon to offer free 3G and WiFi connections because they want to make it really, really easy to buy their books. It's almost too easy--one click downloads your books in a minute (or a bit longer for really long books). Then Amazon sends you an e-mail showing the transaction (you get an e-mail for free books showing $0.00) and it bills your credit card if you buy.

In the Kindle store at Amazon, there are two tabs on the right side of the page; the 100 top best sellers show up automatically, but when you select the other tab, you'll see the top 100 free books. I also use the search feature; title of book, kindle, free if there's something in particular I want. I read the reviews carefully, some of the first free books didn't have active links in the TOC which can be annoying, but many of the free books have been upgraded. There are also books which sell for under a dollar. I also have a few Mobile Reference versions which offer some bells and whistles, and usually cost $3-5. To see if there's a Mobile Reference version search for book title, mobi

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=sv_kinh_1?ie=UTF8&node=1286228011

Also, you don't have to buy a hand-held Kindle e-reader to shop in the Kindle store if you have an Amazon account. The PC and Mac readers are free and easy to install; you get prompts every step of the way. Then, you can download free books or buy books and read them on your computer. If you decide to buy the hand held Kindle e-reader itself, you'll already have an account and I think they'll load any books already registered to your account onto the Kindle before it's shipped.

The resident techno-geeks usually take care of my gadgets. Honestly, though, the Kindle has been so easy to use that I've been able to do almost everything myself. I spent a lot of time reading the Kindle help forums before I decided what to buy. The instruction guide is well-written. It comes pre-loaded with the Kindle, but there's a paper quick start guide that gets you going quickly. My son did help me download the Kindle app for my i-pod because you have to go through the Apple store and that's something I don't do much.

ETA: I bought the cheaper Kindle because we have a home wireless network, and I didn't see any need to be able to download books while I was at the beach or on vacation. For people who don't have a home network or who travel a lot, the 3G would definitely be worth it.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it actually does work.

That's good to know; I should give it another try :001_smile:.

Edited by Martha in NM

Another good reason to have the 3G version is this....while reading, you can highlight a passage and automatically upload it to Twitter or Facebook if you find something you'd like to share. The only down side to this feature is that there is a limit to the length of the passage that you can share, and it doesn't tell you when you've hit it. Rather, it just cuts it off if it gets too long. Hopefully they'll fix this in a software update, but it is neat to be able to share things you find interesting. You can, of course, do this with WiFi and it will upload it when you get somewhere it picks up the WiFi, but with the 3G you can do it instantly from anywhere.

I have the WiFi-only one, and it's no problem at all for me not to have 3G. I usually get Kindle books directly from the Amazon website on my computer at home or work, so I only turn on the WiFi long enough to download (Whispersync) them to my Kindle. Your battery charge lasts longer if you don't have the WiFi turned on all the time. I can't believe how long the battery lasts without needing to be charged!

Edited by WordGirl