Menu

Anyone here know about VPN?

I know a lot of people use VPN here in Europe to access Hulu, Netflix and iTunes movies.

Does the ISP of the user take the upload data or does the VPN Network take the upload data?

I was told by the internet provider that Germans are not bi on watching tv online like Americans are and their "unlimited internet" is really limited to 30G or 100G at most.

I am wondering if VPN takes the data upload somehow ...

Sorry if my wording is not correct - I am trying to figure this out as I go.

THANKS!

I'm not entirely sure that the VPN I know and the VPN you are talking about are the same thing.

For me, VPN=virtual private network and it allows me to sign on to my employer's computer network from home and be able to access all the networked computers just as if I were in the office.

The speed of my connection is determined primarily by my local ISP, but the amount of traffic on the VPN can also impact speed.

I know a lot of people use VPN here in Europe to access Hulu, Netflix and iTunes movies.

Does the ISP of the user take the upload data or does the VPN Network take the upload data?

I was told by the internet provider that Germans are not bi on watching tv online like Americans are and their "unlimited internet" is really limited to 30G or 100G at most.

I am wondering if VPN takes the data upload somehow ...

Sorry if my wording is not correct - I am trying to figure this out as I go.

THANKS!

VPN is a "virtual private network" that employers use as a gateway to let their employees access the companies private email servers, company intranet, shared files, etc.

Someone gave you some bad information about the definition of VPN. VPN has nothing to day with watching tv on the internet or accessing sites like HULU. Hope this helps!

I'm not sure why you would use it to watch online TV, unless perhaps those websites are blocking access from Europe. If you were in Europe and connected to an American VPN, I think that you would be able to access websites that are set up for only American access.

I know that when I'm connected to the VPN for my work, I am accessing the internet through my company's firewall. So sites like youtube get blocked if I'm on the VPN, but I can access them when I'm not connected. This makes me think that the data actually gets transferred twice--so both the network the VPN is on and your ISP are retrieving the files. I could be wrong about this, though.

Yes, you can use a VPN to watch Hulu. I do it myself on occasion. Hotspot Shield is one free one.

It sounds as if you are asking about using up your limited internet quota? Yes, what you watch will still count against that if you use a VPN. It just routes you through itself so it looks like you have an American IP address.

• 1 year later...
Guest martinpouis198

A Virtual Private Network is a network technology that creates a secure network connection over a public network such as the Internet or a private network owned by a service provider. When you’re using a cheap vpn, you are not using your internet bandwidth quota because all of your connection are routed through the VPN. Since this VPN service doesn’t impose any bandwidth limit, you can download anything you want

Edited by martinpouis198

Yes, you can use a VPN to watch Hulu. I do it myself on occasion. Hotspot Shield is one free one.

It sounds as if you are asking about using up your limited internet quota? Yes, what you watch will still count against that if you use a VPN. It just routes you through itself so it looks like you have an American IP address.

I agree with this. I use a vpn occasionally for tv. You might have to read the terms and conditions of your isp agreement to find your limit even if it is limitless. Sometimes its a fair usage policy.