Menu

All About Spelling question

dm379

I ordered the level 1 teacher's manual and student book but it hasn't come in yet. I was looking at it again and I noticed there's other stuff - letter tiles and a CD maybe? Do I need those too? Are they very useful? I'm going to be using this for my 9 yr. old who is a horrible speller.

the program is pretty intensive with the tiles, but for the first level, you only use single letter tiles, and the only thing special about them is that the consonants are all blue and the vowels are all red. There are 2 sets included and 2 y's (one red and one blue). So I would guess that at least for the first level you could easily use a set of letter magnets. In fact, we are into it by lesson 6 and I'm rather wishing I hadn't bothered with the tiles at least for now.

Someone who has used the program longer can weigh in as to whether the letter tiles are more significant later on, though. :001_smile:

I too am about to begin using AAS level 1 as soon as my TM arrives, hopefully midweek and I heard that it's centered around the letter tiles (actually one of the main reasons we are going with it, because of the hands on aspect of teaching and learning)....

I also purchased the phonograms CD as I think this would be extremely helpful for those first beginning the program or learning the proper sounds.

I have the letter tiles. I suppose the program could be done without them (I've heard of some people not using them), but it'd be better with the tiles. It's kind of built around the use of the tiles. There will be some phonograms besides the initial alphabet shortly. I believe step 9 (which we're doing Monday) introduces "th", "ch", and "sh". There are also blank tiles and a few others that will be involved. A lot of the phonogram tiles like "igh" and such are for later levels though. I went ahead and got level 2 since we'll go through level 1 very quickly.

I did not get the phonogram CDROM. I don't think it's essential. It'd be nice to have, but since I already had the letter tiles, I couldn't see paying the $15 (?) for the CDROM. There is a website that has phonogram sounds on it for free - just not as nice a format as the CDROM would be. I just don't think I'll need to use it much. My son says his phonograms great so far, and I've had no trouble figuring them out myself. There are words on the phonogram cards to give you some help with pronunication (like "water" for the "ah" sound of 'a'). The only one I'm not completely sure about is 'u', because for the long u sound, it uses "unit" as the word, so do I say "you" as that sound? Or is it the u sound without the y sound? :confused:

Hahaha... maybe I should have gotten that CDROM afterall. :lol: No really, I should just go find that website again and check the u sound.

You do want the letter tiles and magnets though, and get a magnetic white board. I got mine at Sam's for about $17 - 2'x3'. The tiles stay on there all the time.

The only one I'm not completely sure about is 'u', because for the long u sound, it uses "unit" as the word, so do I say "you" as that sound? Or is it the u sound without the y sound? :confused:

Yes, you say "you" just like you do for the word unit, cute, etc... Long U is really two sounds--a consonant /y/ sound plus an /oo/ sound. Sometimes that consonant /y/ sound is dropped, like in the word duty. It's still a long U, but it would be way too difficult for our mouths to say d-you-ty, lol! So we tend to drop that /y/ part of the sound in some words.

I There will be some phonograms besides the initial alphabet shortly. I believe step 9 (which we're doing Monday) introduces "th", "ch", and "sh". There are also blank tiles and a few others that will be involved.

Yes, there are six 2-letter phonograms used in Level 1, and then lots of multi-letter phonograms later on (like the igh you mentioned). It's important for kids to understand that letters can work together to produce a unique sound--c and h together is not /k/ /h/, but one new sound, /ch/. If you don't have the tiles, you will want another way of helping a child see these phonograms as a unit. I remember trying to tell and show my son that "ai" was a team--the I wasn't just there for kicks, and it didn't have it's own sound--but the tiles really gave him the visual cue that he needed to understand that concept. Underlining, circling etc... could be another way to demonstrate the concept that letters work as teams.

The blank tiles are used in Level 1 also, for lessons like deciding whether to use C or K in a word--they are a placeholder in the word, and then the child decides how to replace it.

HTH! Merry :-)

Yes, you say "you" just like you do for the word unit, cute, etc... Long U is really two sounds--a consonant /y/ sound plus an /oo/ sound. Sometimes that consonant /y/ sound is dropped, like in the word duty. It's still a long U, but it would be way too difficult for our mouths to say d-you-ty, lol! So we tend to drop that /y/ part of the sound in some words.

Ok, that makes sense! I'll teach that Monday. We're not very far in, so it will be no problem to correct that. :) Glad I asked!

I agree that the tiles are really necessary. Also if you want to keep them on a magnet board you'll need to either buy the magnets AAS sells or some sticky back magnets that you can use on them. You'll want to have an index card box if you'd rather not get the one from AAS, walmart sells some small sterlite ones for under a buck. Lastly the new student packs (it's not a book, it's actually all the flashcards, two progress charts (one for the phonograms and one for the steps in that level), and a completion certificate) don't come with the dividers anymore so you'll need a set of the dividers if you don't want to try and make your own.

I've never had the phonogram CD, and if your confident in your ability to make the sounds correctly you should be fine without that.

HTH

don't come with the dividers anymore so you'll need a set of the dividers if you don't want to try and make your own.

Really? I bought level one and the starter stuff just before Christmas and my set came with the dividers.

Yes, definitely when kids start using the phonograms with more than one letter, it's important for them to see it as one unit. But you have some time so you could use other things for the first few lessons if you needed to.

Really? I bought level one and the starter stuff just before Christmas and my set came with the dividers.

Yes, definitely when kids start using the phonograms with more than one letter, it's important for them to see it as one unit. But you have some time so you could use other things for the first few lessons if you needed to.

Yes, this is new and they still had some student packs with the dividers still in them, but once those packs run out they won't be included any more. The new dividers are really nice sturdy laminated ones.

Yeh, I bought level one and a starter set before Christmas, too...and no dividers. So I guess now I'll get the fancy schmancy laminated ones. ;)

I can see already that the tiles are necessary. I mean, of course you COULD do AAS without them. But I think they are part of the program and the way it works, kwim?

Has anyone made their own tiles? I already have adhesive magnets and card stock in different colors--from the picture online they look like they'd be easy to make--input?

Yes, you could definitely make them. Especially if you already have the materials on hand, and wouldn't have to spend any more $$. And if you buy them, you still have to cut them all out and adhere the magnets.

I was actually surprised when I received mine. I don't know what I expected, but I did expect better quality. I know they aren't expensive, but it is just laminated paper, and tiny adhesive magnets. I guess the word "tiles" threw me off.

Anyway, they are definitely something you can make, and probably even have them sturdier or more to your liking. :001_smile:

Yes I agree with the other posters. You can def. make some tiles. I do love the colors of the tiles so that's something I think I'd say stick to doing. You can purchase different colored cardstock and then laminate them and have pretty nice tiles :)

I too was threw off a bit about the whole "tiles" word. But was happy with what I saw though. They are sturdy and brightly colored!

Just make sure you do different colors, as that's an important visual aspect--you can see the colors on the page that shows the Phonogram CD ROM. You want vowels and vowel teams one color, consonants & consonant teams another, sounds of SH a third, sounds of /er/ a fourth, and then fifth color for the other tiles.