Menu

If I were to buy myself clothes at a real store, which one(s) should I visit?

I confess. I've purchased 95% of my clothing online over the past ten years. Some of the items end up working out very well. Others don't fit properly, are a color that doesn't end up working for me, etc. I've got some Christmas money and I could use some quality clothing in the following categories: casual shirts (thick tee shirts), shirts that can be worn casually or dressed up, casual pants that aren't denim (I live in jeans :tongue_smilie:), knee-length shorts or pedal pushers, and a new skirt or dress. I prefer clothing that is tailored and classic. I'm not a cowgirl/country type of person (no pastel floral prints or ginghams, etc.) and I do not like baggy clothes (no shapeless shirts, pleated pants, etc.).

I'm 5'7", but I sometimes need to buy tall tops because I hate shirts that ride up when I bend over (long torso?). I'm 140 lbs. and wear anywhere from a 4 to an 8, depending on the vanity sizing of a particular manufacturer (you may remember my rant about that :tongue_smilie:). 6 is the most common size that fits. I am in my early 30s.

So.... In my area I have two malls with the following clothing store options. Which stores should I visit? :bigear:

The closer mall (<10 min.) has:

1. Dillards
  2. JC Penney
  3. Sears
  4. American Eagle Outfitters
  5. Buckle
  6. Charlotte Russe
  7. Christopher & Banks
  8. Downeast Outfitters
  9. Gap
  10. Head Over Heels
  11. Mikarose
  12. Urban Trends

The further mall (~15 min.) has:

1. Macy's
  2. Nordstrom
  3. Mervyn's
  4. Express
  5. Maurices
  6. Charlotte Russe
  7. Dress Barn
  8. Urban Wear
  9. Shade
  10. Chico's
  11. Christopher & Banks
  12. Papaya
  13. Deb
  14. Down East Basic
  15. White House/Black Market
  16. Head Over Heels
  17. Buckle
  18. Gap
  19. American Eagle Outfitters
  20. Banana Republic
  21. Eddie Bauer
  22. Bohme
  23. And there is a Kohl's across the street.

Hit the second mall. I see several possibilities that fit your list better. Eddie Bauer (my personal favorite), Chicos...maybe Christopher and Banks. We have that and Coldwater Creek and I get the two mixed up. I really like one of them.

JCPenney and Kohl's tend to be more cheaply made. I shop them occasionally, but just don't have luck with them wearing as well.

I am in my early 30s.

So.... In my area I have two malls with the following clothing store options. Which stores should I visit? :bigear:

The closer mall (<10 min.) has:

1. Dillards

2. JC Penney

3. Sears

4. American Eagle Outfitters

5. Buckle

6. Charlotte Russe

7. Christopher & Banks

8. Downeast Outfitters

9. Gap

10. Head Over Heels

11. Mikarose

12. Urban Trends

The further mall (~15 min.) has:

1. Macy's

2. Nordstrom

3. Mervyn's
  4. Express

5. Maurices

6. Charlotte Russe

7. Dress Barn

8. Urban Wear

9. Shade

10. Chico's

11. Christopher & Banks

12. Papaya

13. Deb

14. Down East Basic

15. White House/Black Market

16. Head Over Heels

17. Buckle

18. Gap

19. American Eagle Outfitters

20. Banana Republic

21. Eddie Bauer

22. Bohme

23. And there is a Kohl's across the street.

I also like T.J. Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, Old Navy, Target for cheaper prices. For a little bit more check out Coldwater Creek, J Jill's, Anne Klein, etc. You can frequently find some of the more expensive stores have a store at the outlet malls.

There are outlet stores for Banana Republic, Coldwater Creek, Anne Taylor, and other higher end stores about an hour away, but they are at 6,000 feet and it is the middle of winter. I may venture up there this summer. :)

Thank you for the recommendations! I may be able to sneak out later today and I want to use my time well. :) It has been awhile since I've actually tried anything on in a store. :tongue_smilie:

The nearest Ann Taylor Loft is close to an hour away. I've never heard of Cato. I'll check.

I went to the second mall and tried on clothes at half a dozen places. I bought shirts at Chico's and Macy's and a pair of pants at Banana Republic.I really wanted a dress or a skirt, but everything was too short. :-/ I was at the mall for over three hours. I was exhausted by the end!

I will check Ross and TJ Maxx another day. We also have a Burlington Coat Factory.

The nearest Ann Taylor Loft is close to an hour away. I've never heard of Cato. I'll check.

I went to the second mall and tried on clothes at half a dozen places. I bought shirts at Chico's and Macy's and a pair of pants at Banana Republic.I really wanted a dress or a skirt, but everything was too short. :-/ I was at the mall for over three hours. I was exhausted by the end!

I will check Ross and TJ Maxx another day. We also have a Burlington Coat Factory.

Sounds like you did pretty good.:D FYI: Ross and TJ Maxx run their inventories very, very low at this time of year. Wait a couple of months to check them out as the spring inventories come in.

I love Chicos.

Just head right back to the clearance section. Ask the sales associate to explain the sizing to you. Their sizes go from 0 to 3. I wear a medium/12 in regular sizes, and a 1 1/2 or 2 in Chico's sizing.

Wow, I would go there just to hear the words, "You wear a 2!":D

Actually, I find great deals at Kohl's and they have about everything. Last week my dd and I found the clearance panty rack. Who would guess one could get that excited about clearance panties? $10 a pair ones were on clearance for $1 to $2 each!! I find they have different departments at Kohl's and, once you find the area you like, you can find many things for great prices.

I also like Banana Republic but their normal prices are out of my budget. I love their clothes though.

Actually, Chicos is having a buy one get one 50% off on their already reduced items. You might pay a little more for their stuff but it lasts forever and much of it doesn't go out of style (unless you go with the crazy stuff). Their pants do not wear out and their jackets are very well made.