Menu

Could you please suggest a recipe that uses a lot of eggs at once?

My husband has been out of town and my daughter has been sick for the last 6 or so days. Being the only person in the house eating solid food, I've pretty much been subsisting on (vegetarian) chicken nuggets and Amy's chocolate cake.

WE haven't been eating eggs but, bless their hearts, the chickies have still been laying. We're overrun.

So could you please post/link your favorite vegetarian recipes that include a lot of eggs all at once?

I have angelfood cake, quiche, fritatta, and egg salad in my repertoire already. Could you suggest somethingelse?

Pretty please?

Sophia, Do scrambled eggs freeze well??? I've never tried that! That would be very handy. I like to cook ahead but only small things or in small batches b/c I have such limited freezer space. Burritoes would work great b/c they could fit in the nooks and crannies!

Do you just microwave them to eat?

Yes, I mix scrambled eggs with salsa and roll them in a tortilla, folding in shredded cheese with it.

I put them on a cookie sheet folded side down, and flash freeze them.

Then I take them and individually wrap them in saran wrap.

My teens especially love these in the morning. Sometimes they'll stick them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes to warm, other times they'll put them in the microwave.

Getting ready to make some now...

Deviled eggs. I make a dozen at a time for 6 and they are all gone at the end of the meal. They also keep for a few days in the fridge and the kids will come by and pick one for a snack if they're there.

Egg custard, alone or in a pie.

Hollandaise sauce over just about anything is good. I love to dip my artichoke in it. Yummy.

omlettes for dinner.

pancakes and waffles and freeze for a fast breakfast. Just pop in the toaster and go.

Custard style ice cream.

Egg drop soup.

Pudding.

Banana pudding.

Chocolate pudding.

Any pudding :001_smile:

How about German Pancakes? For a single baked pancake (12 inch round) you can use 6 eggs. I like to make mine a little thicker (hungry boys, ya' know) and I use up to 9 at a time.

6 eggs

1 cup milk

2 Tbl sugar

dash salt

1 cup flour

Mix together until smooth

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Melt 2 Tbl butter in large skillet (I also spray mine with Pam first). Once melted, add the pancake mix. Bake for 10 minutes at 400, then decrease temp to 350. Pancake will get puffy after about 20-30 minutes (depending on thickness). It is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

We serve it with lemon and powdered sugar or various fruit toppings and whipped cream. Great way to use up all those extra eggs when the hens are producing well.

Thanks, Everyone!

For today I'm going to make a lemon meringue pie!

Monday I'm going to make breakfast burritos and make enough to freeze, too.

I've never made a custard but would like to. I'm going to look at a few recipes and see.

My daughter likes the idea of making crepes and freezing them so I think I'm going to do that next weekend.

I'm filing all these ideas away for future reference!

Thanks!

Line a greased 9x13 with 10 slices of cubed bread. Then, beat a dozen eggs up with 2 cups of milk, 1 teaspoon of ground mustard, and some salt and pepper. Use however much salt and pepper would normally use in a recipe for your family. I wouldn't go more than 1 t. of salt, but you can even go without if you want. It's just your own personal taste. I use about a 1/2 t. salt and then just grind a bit of pepper into it.

Then, add 1-2 cups of chopped vegetables sprinkled over top of the bread. I often use frozen broccoli or spinach that has been thawed and drained, but you can use anything. For anyone reading this thread who is a meat eater, you can use ham, bacon, or bulk sausage too. Or mix veggies and meat.

Pour the egg mixture on top of everything evenly.

Then, and this is optional but definitely adds something, sprinkle 1 cup of cheese (sharp cheddar works best but use whatever you have) over the top of the whole thing. If you're dairy intolerant, you can do it with rice milk and no cheese. I've done that before too and it turned out fine.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean. You can even make it the night before, throw it in the fridge, and then just cook it a little longer when you bake it.

You can make it in a smaller dish with half as much stuff too. It refrigerates well and can be reheated for breakfasts for a few days after. My kids love it. They even will eat it for a snack reheated.

Keep in mind that unwashed eggs in a sealed tupperware will keep for months in the fridge.

My friend Katie who has chickens swears by breakfast custard for using a lot of eggs (and also feeding her diabetic husband a high-protein, low carb breakfast).

My MIL cooks this and it's yummy! First she dices bacon into small bits and fries and drains it. Then she chops a couple of green onions into bits. She scrambles about 6 eggs, and as they are cooking, she adds the cooked bacon and green onions. It makes a big plate of eggs and will serve at least 4 to 5 people. We eat them with steamed rice as a side.

A few batched of old fashioned sweet waffles? They freeze real well if you seperate them. We make triple and quad batches for Sunday brunch. :)

For two 9" waffles:

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

3 eggs

2/3 cup milk

1 cup all purpose flour

Cream butter and sugar. Combine eggs and milk. Add egg mixture alternately to creamed mixture with four, beating until smooth. I like them best in a round waffle maker. They are also great with ice cream and strawberries.

• 2 weeks later...

Spanish omlette uses a ton. I made two last week and used 18 eggs. One to eat that day and one eat for lunch the next day.

Its just cooked potatoes, fried onion and lightly beaten eggs but you can add other things, then cook in the oven in a lasagna type dish lined with foil at about 180 degrees C for about 35minutes.